Hobbycraft 1/28 Fokker F.1 (restoration)

Hello,

This is Hobbycraft's 1/28 Fokker F.1 (also repackaged now by Revell), which my father made a couple decades ago in the famous Red Baron all-red scheme.

I decided to restore it for the "WORLD WAR ONE IN MINIATURE" Belgrade exhibition, but in a rather interesting F.I pre-production version (only three produced, of which two reached the front)

I made some modifications to the kit, such as "rounding-up" the tailplane a bit, correcting the cowling, prop and the ailerons; as well as adding some some standard WWI aircraft features, such as seat-belts, lower stitching, windscreen and gun sights.

Most of the thinner struts were also scratch-built.

You can see some WIP pics, by clicking this link

45753181701_f702fa127a_o.jpg

45028022654_615eb86982_o.jpg

45028021804_50e02d0dae_o.jpg

45028020874_a67523bc73_o.jpg

45028020054_ea0ab04f2f_o.jpg

45753178931_2204b45892_o.jpg

45028018424_53abb9d4b1_o.jpg

And today, it found its place in the gallery of Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SANU) display case 😎

Fellow modellers visiting Belgrade in November will be able to see this one, as well as over 80 other WWI-themed models of various scales and themes from this Thursday, November 08th, to the end of that month.

Each Friday afternoon, our scale club members will be at the exhibition room, for curating and discussion purposes.

45028016294_0e5a51c38d_o.jpg

Thanks for looking, and all comments are welcome!

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 20

Aleksander,

Outstanding restoration my friend. You've done a great justice to this very old kit. Well Done and Congratulation.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 2:23 PM, warhawk said:

This is Hobbycraft's 1/28 Fokker F.1 (also repackaged now by Revell),

The Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I is not the same kit as that boxed by Hobbycraft. I believe the Hobbycraft kit is a copy of the Revell kit and was originally produced by Korean company Idea. The Revell kit was first released in 1957 so it predates the Hobbycraft kit by many years. Hobbycraft also released 1/32 kits of the Dr.I and F.I but these had no parts in common with the 1/28th scale kit.

• Like 3

Thanks for your positive feedback!

I am glad that you like my little detour from, otherwise, WWII aircraft in 1/72nd scale.

(Most modellers who know me are still wondering if i got ill or something 😁)

16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I is not the same kit as that boxed by Hobbycraft. I believe the Hobbycraft kit is a copy of the Revell kit and was originally produced by Korean company Idea. The Revell kit was first released in 1957 so it predates the Hobbycraft kit by many years. Hobbycraft also released 1/32 kits of the Dr.I and F.I but these had no parts in common with the 1/28th scale kit.

Now that You mention it, I did notice some differences between this and the Revell mould (two of my friends have built Revell ones for the same exhibition, and this is where i got spare decals for mine).

For example, the shape of the propeller blades:

Both kit props are wrong in shape, both are too wide and clunky, making them look like ironing boards attached to an axle, but each in a different way 🤔