Heinkel He 219A-6 - 1:144 Mark I Models

Hello everyone

This is the first build I'm posting here and it's my latest kit finished just last weekend. It's a conversion of the Mark I Models 1:144 He 219A-5 into a A-6 "Mosquito-Jäger". This was a projected but unbuilt variant. This was an A-2/R2 with armour removed, no radar aerials and without flame dampeners.

My sample of the kit came with a lot of flash which meant plenty of cleaning up though this isn't the norm (I have others in my stash). Basic improvements involved the following:
- Moving the rear cockpit wall 4-5mm forward. I added a gunsight at the front.
- Making a recess for the lovely etched Peilgerät DF star instead of sticking it on top of the fuselage spine as suggested by the instructions. The clear cover was made with Kristal Klear.
- Opening gun and intake holes along the main wing leading edge. I also cut the slot for the landing light which was made from clear sprue. The intake hole in the tailplane was also opened up.
- The nose wheel leg was too long and I shortened it by 2mm or more.
- The shape of the spinners was wrong being bulbous and blunt and I sanded them to a more correct conical shape.
The main conversion point was adding exhausts. I found spare ones in an Eduard Spitfire IX double kit. I opened up holes for them, blanking them inside and gluing them in these slots.
All joints and seams needed sanding and some filler. I added weight but unfortunately it was insufficient, despite my tests which seemed to show there was enough, so the kit was glued to the nice card display base that came with the kit.
When I discovered this variant in the Valiant Wings book, I immediately had the idea of a machine without paint in a metal finish as with a Bf 109G-6 that was actually stripped of paint to gain speed precisely to hunt DH Mosquitoes. Decals came from the kit except for the red Ms and werknummers which I took from an A-2 kit, and the kills in the tail from my spares (Jach Lippisch P.20 sheet I believe). ALthough representing a plane from 2./NJG1, it is, of course, completely fictitious.
The Mark I Models He 219 is not an easy-build kit but with a little effort you can get a great result.

Thanks for looking

Miguel

V4do1eYqQzR-GAgO2gFLc_TmL6GKBGPoCXkYeTP0

zTuqEYD1IZ636fAWq3I_n7D1XfIFZSOZWk0dRPip

WhItt_BnuxmkhjZKf4nkrfKbfW5ueby3J0wac1yV

5zfZcTOvHR4zk24yTzo8z8Ufb0wFtO9lsw_G7K8S

cRDWKRc8w1p7EIR7v5mtRCJV9263JIgke8p0JuVg

bnKXKqEc1blL2FgkkuCdIyOWdpYNWdpCq_95L0eg

7RL8xzsWAage3o4UVF6jKFdr9UW8L8C-CNnElj6N

PRJZqA0HcHbV8QUyOMg0ercIKDo_zj0NQHKXjp93

oG5ZV_kWswVbfpAE7FiURuxPfc_NuRV9kTHwyd-6

DX4_CHnbKllyT54Apy-Ed8EvEg_gnDLQY3yIbWVF

ANj1k-NMSpj33jfc7Z47MAeQs2EqHbLFy6LXogLx

IdylFuEsjXM4m8Wg6x-xStPf6e_9G0DntTlFnrJ9

As a final note, I am posting these images from one of my albums in Google Photos. Please advise me if there are any problems. Thank you.

• Like 15

Interesting and very good looking build in the microscopic scale!

Only thing is, in reality propellers don't have those damaged and "weathered" (for lack of a better word) blades! It's pure modellers' misguided imagination. If a plane had been worked hard in a desert environment with sand in the air, you might see a smooth thinning of the paint on the extreme leading edge and, in extreme cases, on the back of the tip. Big, irregular blobs of missing paint just look ridiculous. 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your comments.

14 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Only thing is, in reality propellers don't have those damaged and "weathered" (for lack of a better word) blades!

Joachim, thanks for pointing that out. I took a better look at photos and you are right so I'm taking note. I confess that I normally make it more subtle but in this case the brush slipped too often and I no longer had the heart to minimise it after having had trouble varnishing the blades! Criticism graciously accepted!

Miguel