This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

LostCosmonauts

Laser cutting as a modelling technique

13 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Some really nice work on show... it's great how a new technology gets the creative juices flowing... The contour mapping is very cool...

As a matter of interest, how fine/thin is the actual laser cut? This would make an interesting tool for cutting lots of similar parts that need to be identical - like ribs for a wing etc...

I'll have to see if our library has a similar setup..?

Matt

Thanks!

The cut width is about 0.15mm for a 3mm thick sheet. A bit smaller on 1.5mm ply but I’d have to check my notes on cut width for each material and thickness. 

It’d be perfect for ribs etc. I’ve a B-17 half planned resizing a radio controlled plan down as a shortcut to get the ribs and fuselage profiles. You just offset the cuts a bit to allow for the fraction of a mm cut width. The sphere holds itself together just with the fit of the slots so they are pretty predictable

I'd be interested in any notes on that aspect you have put together.. :)

I was thinking some WWI subjects in 1/32 would benefit from actual ribs and spars that could then be covered and 'really' allow light through the wing...?

Matt

PS, just found Devon has two Fab Labs but the info on the web is scant... So I may have to get into Exeter and have a mooch...

I'm quite fortunate in that I look after the 3D printers and laser cutter at the uni I work for. I use the laser cutter a lot for cutting out ribs for the gliders the aero students design.