Laser cutting as a modelling technique

qn30jEkPz7

Hi all,

I've been having a bit of a play with the laser cutting kit that is in my local library (when they relocated they added a fab lab maker space with vinyl cutters, 3D printers and laser cutters) - over a few weeks I've been steadily experimenting and trying to teach myself how to apply it. Not quite modelling enough to share on the main boards but the mobile has enough of an aviation theme and the map is kind of a very small scale diorama enough that I thought folks on here might be interested

I started pretty simple - I wanted a clock using recycled bike parts (brake rotors, gears and the like) and used the laser cutter to do accurate concentric circles for the backing and surrounds. After doing one for myself more folk liked the look of it and wanted their own so accidentally I've ended up selling quite a few like below just through word of mouth

IMG_1281

IMG_1348

With that having gone well and been quite interesting I started making some simple slot together shapes - just some mobiles as decorative items (with an aviation theme)

30391730647_f937f0d981_b.jpg

(my wife has pointed out that there are only 8 of them and the formation is iffy) - I've since made a few more with pterodactyls, origami cranes and a BoB dogfight of Spitfires versus 109s

I've well pleased with the Spits and 109s

IMG_1320

From this simple thing I've moved on to doing some more complex shapes with a retro looking rocket

VHKH1650

Then a bit of a diorama - the North East of England as a 3D topographical map (25cm square covering Druridge Bay to the North York Moors)

IMG_1408

• Like 19

They all look fantastic. I particularly like the clocks.

I remember that the red arrows used to be a lot more organised though. Have they swapped aircraft with the Spit and 109 pilots? :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Gorby said:

They all look fantastic. I particularly like the clocks.

I remember that the red arrows used to be a lot more organised though. Have they swapped aircraft with the Spit and 109 pilots? :wink:

They’re... erm... kids on work experience having a go at being display pilots

• Haha 2

I'd love to see the Sparrows incorporate that in their display routine! Perhaps there's only 8 as Red 1 is up above orchestrating the moves. Or laughing....!!

They all look great though, I think the clocks are superb & I really love the 'retro rocket'....!!

Great stuff!

Keith

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

lol

love the clocks, especially the first one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Are you still making those clocks?  :hmmm:

Aye, have a handful left or can do one special if there is a particular style you fancy. They keep me amused whennot fettling polystyrene 

Edited by LostCosmonauts

11 hours ago, SleeperService said:

There's some smart work going on there. Well Done and Thanks for sharing. Got me thinking about how to use it to cut styrene sheet for multiples of parts. 

Thanks! I think you can do styrene with the laser but it is a bit trickier than acrylic and cellulose materials. with complicated shapes I've found that converting a picture into a vector file and then making any necessary scaling and proportion adjustments gives me pretty good replication. That's how I did the splines for the inside of the Shimano rear cassette fitting and get a nice snug fit from that. Just needs a bit of mucking around as you figure out how much material you lose either side of the burn

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of the laser cutter/engraver as just another tool in ones palette is the best way. 

I bought mine to fill out the procedures I can offer my sign customers.

I've used it for nameplates in the modelling genre:

IMG-4323.jpg

I have plans for some parts as well , just hafta get there...

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

over a few weeks I've been steadily experimenting and trying to teach myself how to apply it

Are You serious?😲

You don't know 

how to apply it?😔

Actually, you are sitting on a gold mine or on an oil well! 😁

First, look at these paint organizers:

WO-1216.jpg

or these:

WO-04.jpg

or these:

WO-03.jpge.t.c.

https://www.hobby.dn.ua/instrumentymaterialy-organaizer-

modelista-c-115_461.html?osCsid=q1se5hh0lb07el9m9rfolqnh32

Yes, this is all laser cutting!

And if your laser cutter can cut brass or steel, then you can forget about photoetched.

Just look at the pictures turbofan Rolls-Royce Pegasus 1/48 & 1/32:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1429850_1510232956_20171109_130245_novyjj-razmer.jpg.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1429850_1510174152_20171108_202718.jpg.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1429850_1510174152_20171108_201354.jpg.html

in this topic :

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_66966.html

on Russian forum!

Yes, and this is also all laser cutting!

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Thanks 1

Great point and ideas @Aardvark - it’ll do spring steel so could easily do small etch-type parts

I’ve not really been looking for commercial opportunities while I’ve been learning but you’re right this has a lot of model accessory options

Just finishing up a couple of personalised clocks...

46194623501_8ca9d969b6_b.jpg

... and working on a prototype lamp

46194623421_945c557b6b_b.jpg

• Like 5

Some signwork:

IMG-3345.jpg

IMG-4393.jpg

The burl is nice material to burn. Layout is fun too , working around the textures and striations in the wood.

Combining with stainless is nice too.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

Very cool @krow113 - will have to have a go at something other than straightforward ply

In the meantime my cast concrete base has set sufficiently that I could assemble the rocket lamp. Laser cut ply rocket, frosted acrylic with LED lights for the plume and a cast concrete base to hold all of the gubbins. About 70cm tall all told

IMG_1718

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 13

Some really nice work on show... it's great how a new technology gets the creative juices flowing... The contour mapping is very cool...

As a matter of interest, how fine/thin is the actual laser cut? This would make an interesting tool for cutting lots of similar parts that need to be identical - like ribs for a wing etc...

I'll have to see if our library has a similar setup..?

Matt

I like your lamp a lot, great idea. If you put them on Ebay I think they would take off. :giggle:

They could be there own targeted post system. You could call it 'V2 Delivery'.

(too soon?).

• Haha 2