So, how bad is the Frog/Novo Gannet canopy?

Foghorn Leghorn

To cut a long story short, I've got a Revell Gannet without rear canopy and I can't get a spare from Revell. I asked on the wanted thread a while back and (not surprisingly) I got no joy. If Rob Taurus did a replacement canopy I'd be sorted, but he doesn't.

That leaves me options of either a canopy from a Falcon set (£12, a tad expensive just for one canopy) or picking up a cheap Frog/Novo Gannet and making the rear canopy fit, assuming it won't fit in the first place.

I know some Frog/Novo canopies are, let's say... a bit ropey, I'm happy to spend some time polishing a :poop: but is it beyond redemption? Can anyone shed any light on it?

TIA

Neil

Hi Neil

My memories of my Gannet canopy, from the earliest days of Novo, eg 1978 when appeared in Woolies, was it was thick but clear.

But, I suggest asking in the Wanted section, someone may well have a leftover Falcon canopy from the set, or even a kit one, frog, Novo or even a Revell one....if someone did an AEW conversion?

You may get an offer here from this thread anyway?

HTH

• Like 1

It possibly depends on how old your particular moulding is. As Troy says, it’s very heavily armoured but I think it compares well shapewise with the F40 drawings, like the rest of the kit except the nose intake and spinners. The Revell issue from some 20 years ago should be easy to get, and Revell claimed that they had the moulds cleaned up before their run was commissioned (though I have no idea if the Gannet canopy benefited).

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah Troy, once I know the Frog kit is a viable alternative I'll put another post up in the wanted section. The first time I had no joy as, lets face it, if someone has built a gannet they're not likely to have a spare canopy.  Now that Sword have done the AEW, the chances of someone builiding a AEW conversion is less likely now. But then again there some masichistic modellers out there ... and on BM :)