Dragon 1/35 Hornisse (Nashorn early model)

Nanond

Hi! 

Let me present my last finish. A Dragon 1/35 panzerjäger Hornisse. 
I usually finish a few aircraft and ship kits each year, but this is my first 1/35 AFV in so many years. It's also my first time doing crew figures in action in an open-top vehicle. 
I also tried a full PE set for the armor plates. The fighting compartment armor is in full brass (I'm certain it will resist a 6 mm BB airsoft bullet at normal combat range, the paint won't survive though). 

So, the kit is Dragon's original release back in 2002. One PE set for armor plates and another set for interior details were from Lionroar, track links are AFV club and  the crew is from Tristar. Originally the guy ramming a round into the breech was prepared, unfortunately I wasn't able to fit him properly with all the ammo boxes/tubes on the floor. (I did dry-fit them but perhaps not everything all at once. It's problematic because this build spanned over 7-10 years) In the end, the guy holding a round (from the same set) was brought in. The ammo doesn't seem heavy for him, if you notice. 

Anyway, it was done and I am quite happy with it. I'll certainly do more German panzerjäger and I hope it won't take such a long time to finish another one.

Thank you for having a look. Comments are surely welcome. It is my pleasure sharing my model with you, as much as I'm enjoying your works posted on the forum. 

Nanond 

QhafWyo.jpg

a0YCTH0.jpg

zeFcUlT.jpg

2SJuF84.jpg

zjB861J.jpg

RZAJ3xs.jpg

hHXq0Gx.jpg

CkGkzlo.jpg

• Like 25

VEry well finished, It is not my favorite vehicle, but the result is very convincing. Great the operative of the crew with the "business" of the cannon, it gives a touch of life. Very cool guy with the cap of the reverse ... lol :goodjob:

Cheers mate 👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

That looks nice......great finish. 👍nice job.

Just picked up one myself with the full Eduard PE upgrades. How did you find the Lionsroar PE?

Simon

I think Lionsroar interior set is OK. The best parts are the two ammo storage boxes. I didn't build mine strong enough so I could only put 3 brass rounds. Originally I put 6 but some broke loose due to its weight. The armor plate set is nice but I wouldn't use it again, especially with newer kits from Tamiya or AFV club that become available. 

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

That's exceptional. Painting & weathering are spot on, as are the figures.

Is the guy looking through the scope a re-deployed U Boat captain?

Pete

🤣

Lovely result. I guess it's all the better for having waited for the right figures, modern paints and PE sets, as well as the years spent improving your painting skills!😄

I built Tamiya's Nashorn a couple of years ago, but it fell apart at the final weathering stage. I will be building a new one for the PzIV STGB. So, can you tell me if the PE set you used for your Hornisse is the same as that used for the Nashorn? There seem to be very few differences between the two vehicles.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 8:24 PM, Badder said:

Lovely result. I guess it's all the better for having waited for the right figures, modern paints and PE sets, as well as the years spent improving your painting skills!😄

I built Tamiya's Nashorn a couple of years ago, but it fell apart at the final weathering stage. I will be building a new one for the PzIV STGB. So, can you tell me if the PE set you used for your Hornisse is the same as that used for the Nashorn? There seem to be very few differences between the two vehicles.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi 

I think you summarized it very well. Indeed the modern weathering products are what make it so much easier. What I enjoy most is the Vallejo acrylic line. I wouldn't be able to paint these figures with oil paint. 

Historically and technically, I don't think there is any dimensional different between the two. I don't know whether Lionroar update their PE to fit Tamiya kit or not. Anyway, choose the one that is designed for the kit you're building is best. I had to thrown away ET model Brummbar PE set designed for Dragon after trrying to fit it to Tamiya's new Brummbar and failed. 

PzIV STGB... sounds interesting. I need to check it out.

Nanond

• 4 weeks later...