Pan Am Orion Clipper

When I saw one of the guys in our club bring along a beautifully made model of this subject, I knew I had to make one for myself. At the time, it was a bit hard to get locally so I had to order it along with the "missing" Pan Am decals.

The spacecraft is the instantly recognisable Orion Clipper from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey. I saw this movie as a boy and the early space sequences were breathtaking. Some of the latter parts of the movie on the other hand were extremely disorienting.

The kit went together pretty well though it does have a few sink marks near the wing leading edge requiring attention. The after market Pan Am decals didn't come with any placement instructions and there were a lot of items I didn't use. I had to browse various images on the web and rewatch the movie to get a better idea of placement and even then I'm not sure of the underwing Pan Am markings. The clipper isn't in the movie for long and the master was one of the models destroyed on order by Stanley Kubrick.

Nov-2018-542.jpg

Nov-2018-541.jpg

Nov-2018-544.jpg

Nov-2018-545.jpg

Cheers

Michael

• Like 40

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Kubrick and his team really did a great job creating very believable spacecraft for the movie. I think it stands up well compared to anything that has come later.

It's a shame the space race slowed right down and we don't have the opportunity to jump in a Space Airliner and visit the moon now.

Cheers

Michael

Michael,

Now that's just awesome my friend. The Orion Clipper has been my favorite SF spacecraft since 1968 when I first saw 2001 A Space Odyssey . Are there other models from the movie as well?

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

" Open the pod bay door please Hal"

Hi Gregory,

While searching for the Clipper, I noticed that Moebius also produces the Moonbus and Discovery from the movie.

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/search.asp?keyword=2001&search=

If you want to build the Discovery, you'll need quite a bit of space - It's 41 inches long -

http://www.finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2018/05/workbench-review-moebius-discovery-from-2001-a-space-odyssey

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, Whofan said:

Lovely model all round.

it's amazing to think that in 1968 Kubrick imagined that airlines would be operating in space in 2001!

He also assumed that Panam would be operating in 2001!

• Like 2

That looks great,like yourself,my folks took me to the pictures to see 2001 as a kid(about 9 or 10) Twice! I think they were trying to figure out the ending as well :)

21 hours ago, Michael louey said:

Hi Gregory,

While searching for the Clipper, I noticed that Moebius also produces the Moonbus and Discovery from the movie.

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/search.asp?keyword=2001&search=

If you want to build the Discovery, you'll need quite a bit of space - It's 41 inches long -

http://www.finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2018/05/workbench-review-moebius-discovery-from-2001-a-space-odyssey

Cheers

Michael

Michael, 

Ok I've ordered the Clipper and the Discovery. Preordred the EVA Pod too. So when SWMBO raises heck I can blame you right?

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spad57 said:

Michael, 

Ok I've ordered the Clipper and the Discovery. Preordred the EVA Pod too. So when SWMBO raises heck I can blame you right?

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory,

Hope you enjoy the builds. I admire your courage in getting the Discovery into your house. My wife is quite accommodating but I think a 3 and half foot model would test her patience. The Clipper though is a neat and quite manageable model.

Tommo

The kit I used is the latest version from Mobius. There are a number of improvements from the original (which I've never seen) which can be found on the web in side by side comparisons.

Cheers

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael louey said:

Tommo

The kit I used is the latest version from Mobius. There are a number of improvements from the original (which I've never seen) which can be found on the web in side by side comparisons.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks, I was just curious.

The first Moebius iteration of the Clipper was released circa 2010 as was an improved back engineered Aurora one. Nothing wrong with that as Aurora had access to MGM's original AD drawings. My understanding on the second iteration is, Moebius's far east manufacturer accidently damaged the original moulds and had to replace them and Moebius took the opportunity to improve the kit, the most noticeable was a thinner wing profile.

I'm hearing whispers of an Aries 1-B is in the works, which would be great despite its limited screen time to my mind is the best ship in the film. The original filming miniature also exists so if it does come to pass it hopefully will be 'bob on'.

Surprisingly the Discovery box is relatively small due to the break down of the kit. I doubt that will be the case for the EVA Pod.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spad57 said:

She might not let you into the house!

"Open the front door, Honey."

"I'm sorry, Greg, I'm afraid I can't do that."

"What's the problem, Honey?"

"I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do!"

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Just finding this article. I am building this now. My biggest question, is regarding the decals. They are awfully thick and do not seem to be a decal film. Did you have any luck with decal solvent? I’ve just about trashed the one that goes on the top of the engine nacelle.

i find the decals to be very unforgiving with regards to silvering and bubbles.

regards,

Edited by Bejay53

Hi Bejay

Gee, this is an old article. I finished the build a couple of years ago but as far as I can recall, the decals in my kit were pretty standard. I did have to use some decal softener (in my case Daco) and had to be careful in getting the large decals in place. I might have damaged a couple which needed fixing and I wrecked one that goes on top of one of the dorsal vents. I believe there have been a couple of issues of this kit so not sure if the decals varied between them.

Hope you can finish of your kit ok.

Regards

Michael

On 11/6/2018 at 11:02 AM, Michael louey said:

The spacecraft is the instantly recognisable Orion Clipper from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey. I saw this movie as a boy and the early space sequences were breathtaking. Some of the latter parts of the movie on the other hand were extremely disorienting.

Have you read the book?  It explains very well what is happening at the end, because as you say the last part of the movie is just bonkers.  Probably makes sense if you're off your head on psychedelic drugs, but for the rest of us...

Lovely model btw

• Like 1

The book is stale and pedestrian, nothing like the imagination, style and sense of wonder in Clarke's earlier writings.  If you want to understand the ending of the film, read Clarke's Childhood's End.  That is the basis of the film, more so than the short story Sentinel which is usually quoted.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael louey said:

Hi Bejay

Gee, this is an old article. I finished the build a couple of years ago but as far as I can recall, the decals in my kit were pretty standard. I did have to use some decal softener (in my case Daco) and had to be careful in getting the large decals in place. I might have damaged a couple which needed fixing and I wrecked one that goes on top of one of the dorsal vents. I believe there have been a couple of issues of this kit so not sure if the decals varied between them.

Hope you can finish of your kit ok.

Regards

Michael

Thanks for answering. Yes, the dorsal decal is tough. Compound curves in multiple directions.

all else are working ok. Always a fight with the air bubbles though. 
I’m working with the latest release from mobeous.

1 hour ago, Nev said:

Have you read the book?  It explains very well what is happening at the end, because as you say the last part of the movie is just bonkers.  Probably makes sense if you're off your head on psychedelic drugs, but for the rest of us...

Lovely model btw

There is a series on you tube that shows how Kubrick created the various scenes in the movie and explains some of his thoughts during production. Look for “how Kubrick made”...

On 28/03/2020 at 12:17, Graham Boak said:

That is the basis of the film, more so than the short story Sentinel which is usually quoted.

The Sentinal as far as the film goes, just covers the Moonbus journey from Clavius to TMA-1 and introduces the notion of the monolith. Albeit it was a moon walker not a flying bus and if memory serves it was a pyramid not a 1-4-9 slab.

I'm fortunate to have seen the film 70mm in its original Cinerama format on a 146 degree curved screen and the Stargate act is brilliant.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid