Martin Baker MB5

Ok, so how do you choose your next project while your in the final stages of completing the current one?

One way is to be distracted by your son playing War Thunder and choose the plane he's using. In my case this turned out to be the MB5. I've always had an interest in this plane and this is my third kit of it. I started off with the Falcon vacform and picked up the Skybirds 86 kit when it came out. The latter always looked like a nice project however I didn't help myself by standing on the nice pre cut vacform canopy a while ago. I decided to give the AZ kit a go as it was on hand.

I've read the reviews of this kit and the identified issues helped me prepare for them - misaligned tailplanes and an ill fitting canopy.

The canopy was fixed using plastic shims and apoxie sculpt, the tailplane slots were adjusted. One final hurdle to overcome was an unintended flight when masking the topside resulting in a detached wing and various loose bits in the cockpit requiring he canopy to be popped off and the offending parts reattached.

The result is ok but it is still a bit rough around the edges. I have a feeling either the Falcon or Skybirds kits might actually result in a better MB5.

Nov-2018-535.jpg

Nov-2018-536.jpg

Nov-2018-533.jpg

Nov-2018-538.jpg

Cheers

Michael

• Like 34

Nice job :yes: Looks like an MB5 to me, although much of my recollection of one is the long-winded project I did many many years ago (there's a link in my sig if you're interested)  :)

9 minutes ago, RMCS said:

I really  wish someone would do this in 48th scale.. excellent 

Two 48th kits exist, If you look at Mike sig you can see his build of the 48th Falcon vacform,. Silver Cloud did a limited run kit as well.  

The Falcon kit should still be available 

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/kits.html

Very nice model. Over the years I have built both the Falcon and Skybirds kits and both have their challenges. The MB5 is one of my favourite aircraft and yours does look the part. 

19 hours ago, Mike said:

Nice job :yes: Looks like an MB5 to me, although much of my recollection of one is the long-winded project I did many many years ago (there's a link in my sig if you're interested)  :)

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's nice to have this built, especially so I can put it next to my CA-15 and compare the two as they were contemporaries.

Hi Mike, I think I have sigs turned off but I did see your build while doing research on the MB5 - probably trying to work out if it had any stencils. It's a nice build and I just noticed now that the plane had the "traffic lights" in the belly. Even knowing that now doesn't really make me want to go out and add this detail but it looks great on your build. I did want to build this originally with the MB3 style tail and use my Skybirds kit to do it's later incarnation but the optional tail in the AZ kit appears to be neither fish nor fowl and doesn't look anything like the MB3 tail even though the decal placement instructions would lead you to believe you could build this version.

Regards

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael louey said:

I just noticed now that the plane had the "traffic lights" in the belly. Even knowing that now doesn't really make me want to go out and add this detail

It was all I could do at the last minute to fabricate one, and the cruciform intake grille at the last minute.  I was pretty burned out on the kit by then :wacko: