Colour of doped natural linen: British v German

Seahawk

I've been using Xtracolor doped natural linen for my RFC/RNAS types.  I now have a Fokker E.II.  Is there any characteristic difference between the colours of British and German doped linen eg (say) German lighter or browner?

Slightly related question: are the issues re the incorrectly sized fuselage stripe transfers on the E.II carried over to the newer E.III boxing as well?

Edited by Seahawk

Fokker Eindeckers were not finished in (translucent) natural doped linen. If they were then shadows of the internal wing an fuselage structure would be clearly visible in good quality photos. But they are not... except on todays models.

Combat and/or capture reports state that Fokker Eindeckers were finished in (opaque) "grey" or "beige" and sometimes had "brown on the upper sides". Photos confirm mostly dark finishes with no shadows of internal structures visible through the fabric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

German industry also used a coarser weave and thicker yarns then their British counterparts.  To fill the gaps in between threads, a method called calendering was employed - basically the cloth was pressed between heated steel rollers.   A benefit of this was less dope was required to fill in any remaining pores.   This is all paraphrased from the research of the late Dan San Abbott.

I wonder if the above translates to a heavier fabric with near zero translucency, particularly after dope and varnish is applied?    As a side note, unbleached linen can have a grey tone, just depends on the source of the fibers.

regards,

Jack

If you are considering painting a Fokker E.II then you should certainly consider painting at least the wings (both surfaces) a brown colour, as in many photographs these show a darker tone than the fuselage (possibly a dye or coloured varnish). This may have extended onto the upper surface of the fuselage and the tailplanes on some airframes according to photographic evidence. This has been documented by Ian Huntley and others, as part of early German camouflage practices during 1915-1916. I can PM articles about this (by IH and one by me)  if you are interested.

Cheers

GrahamB

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GrahamB said:

If you are considering painting a Fokker E.II then you should certainly consider painting at least the wings (both surfaces) a brown colour, as in many photographs these show a darker tone than the fuselage (possibly a dye or coloured varnish). This may have extended onto the upper surface of the fuselage and the tailplanes on some airframes according to photographic evidence. This has been documented by Ian Huntley and others, as part of early German camouflage practices during 1915-1916. I can PM articles about this (by IH and one by me)  if you are interested.

Thank you: PM sent.