British K- Class Submarine

Well it's one step forward and three steps back! :rant:

I'm looking at this boat of mine and it's telling me that something isn't quite right. Now I looked and looked and then I noticed...

the instructions and kit are incorrect.

20181130-200851-1.jpg

The instructions clearly marked step from the forward deck to the aft deck and this is how the kit plastic is presented.

20181130-200826-1.jpg

But wait, the SAME instructions show a side view where their is a gap between the fwd & aft decks. So, MikroMir looks like they can't agree on the same bit of paper!

k-class-submarine-steam.jpg?w=1400&key=d

This is one of the decal options...with the GAP between the fwd & aft decks. So...

20181130-193459-1.jpg

...this is what I did. Out with the saw and scalpel, and out with a section of aft deck. Added a plastic fillet, let that dry, bit of PPP and a sand.

@Flankerman, can you tell me what you used as the the light colour used on your K26?

Regards,

Stuart

Nice to another K being built. My Grandfather served, and actually survived serving on K class boats as a stoker. He actually volunteered for the submarine service as it was an extra shilling a day, having served on HMS Warspite.

• Like 1

A little further on after last nights findings.

20181201-210921-1.jpg

The modified deck has been filled, PPP'd and sanded.

20181201-211057-1.jpg

Some PE was added to the boat; a ladder on both sides and  a couple of access doors each side for what I believe are 'beam torpedo tubes'.

20181201-151240-1.jpg

The kit comes with two rather flimsy looking W/T masts but images of K22 show three, so three were made from 0.5mm wire that I had knocking around. These masts will be able to handle the Uschi line that I'll use for the aerial.

Until next time.

Stuart

• Like 6

On 11/30/2018 at 8:40 PM, Courageous said:

@Flankerman, can you tell me what you used as the the light colour used on your K26?

Stuart,

From what little research I did, K-26 was assigned to the Far East Station - where the camo was white verticals and dark grey horizontals (and hull).

I just used a tin of Humbrol satin white - with a few drops of black added to give and off-white colour.

Not very scientific, but given the lack of hard colour facts, I doubt anyone will argue!

Your K-22 is coming along nicely - are you planning a K-26 conversion ??

Ken

350_HMS%20K-Class_38.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

I just used a tin of Humbrol satin white - with a few drops of black added to give and off-white colour.

Brilliant example of if it looks right................. 

White can be a challenging colour to get right and in this example, it looks good Ken.

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

I just used a tin of Humbrol satin white

Sounds like a very light grey?

K-22 has a similar look and I have made an executive decision and use an Anti-Flash White but that may change. I'll paint the bridge and masts and see what people think.

K-26 is on the cards to do, so are others if they look different.

Stuart

• Like 1

Slow week what with everything going on at this time of year but progress non the less.

Basically the boat is primed with Halfords Auto Primer that also serves as the upper hull & deck colour.

20181207-222452-1.jpg

A stern shot without the shafts, blades and rudder as they're not going to be seen...

20181207-222459-1.jpg

A midships view with deck guns fitted

20181207-222522-1.jpg

Bow shot showing retracted foreplanes, anchours to be fitted later...I'll only lose them

Stuart

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after doing everything that needs to be done at this time of year, except for the actual day, I thought I give a little update.

The other reason for the delay was waiting for a photo to be sent of K.22, an A4 size of this.

20181220-165122-1.jpg

20181220-165128-1.jpg

B&W photos from the time show the superstructure and the bow to be a very light colour, possibly a very light grey, so I've given her a couple of coats of Anti-Flash White, ACRN37 by Colourcoats. This may seem a little bright but it will hopefully be 'knocked-back' later as I attempt a little weathering. 

Stuart

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Now we've that Christmas out of the way, it's time move back into our own reality.

20181229-120111.jpg

Here we have a side view of this K Class's 'Swan Bow'. As mentioned already, the bow and the main structure were painted in Anti-Flash white, the upper hull a MSG (Colourcoats) and the lower hull and gun deck painted Grey Shadow from MIG.

20181229-120153.jpg

Another view of the sub albeit not a brilliant pic with light bouncing off the shiny surface that was a couple of coats of Klear, prior to'sticker' application. The observant of you will have noticed that the boat is deficient in periscope masts due to my clumsiness, so these will need to be scratched a bit later. Also to be fitted are the funnels, anchors and masts (with rigging) and the sea base has been started too.

Stuart

• Like 7

A little further along the row.

20181231-145054-1.jpg

Decals on and they're not the best. I wasn't happy with decal that presented the windows, looked very odd and so were 'blacked-out' (as best as one can being only about 2mm high). The decal also started to break up for some reason (specks of K22), so thi's will be fixed in due course.

20181231-145324.jpg

....and so onto the base, a piece of insulation foam board, wooden trim, primed and painted satin black. The sea will obviously be painted before the 'water' is added.

20181231-145513.jpg

...and a sneak preview of where this going.

Stuart

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Massimo said:

This is a very nice topic!

I like the subject and the kit looks very nice.

I'm curious about the sea base. I'll keep watching!

Up to now...:like:

Ciao

Massimo

Cheers Mas. Only time will tell with the sea base.

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking good Stuart!

Cheers Terry.

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great stuff Stuart, interesting subject matter, looking forward to the end result....if the photos of the real thing are anything to go by it looks like you could have some fun with the weathering......at least there's none of that blasted rigging malarky to worry about!

Cheers Melchers. I have never really done weathering, particularly on a sub/ ship, I have a decent photo to work from and will most probably give it a go...don't expect too much. Their is a little rigging in the form of mast bracing and aerial lines to contend with and shouldn't be a problem.

Happy New Year to you all.

Stuart

• Like 1