Mustang

Hi all,

I've been building for magazines and websites for the last few models I've done, so it's been ages since I've done a WIP thread. I felt like doing something simple after the recent stuff, and was perusing the stash and came across this:

must1_zpsxxidvabm.jpg

I bought it ages ago on a whim, and I don't usually do 1/72 stuff, but having built a couple of 1/48 Airfix planes recently I thought I'd give it a go. And I'm glad I did! The parts breakdown shows much more detail than previous 1/72 planes I've built. Don't worry about the bent prop, luckily that's not the one I'll be using...

must2_zpsfffgozkq.jpg

The panel lines look a little deep, but the surface detail is streets ahead of what I remember from Airfix:

must3_zpsfql5fyqq.jpg

I mean, look at that tailwheel!

must4_zpsc42atxrw.jpg

In the old days, you were lucky to get a stick with a round blob on the end.

I'm going to get going on this soon, as I'm intrigued to know if it fits together as well as it looks like it will...it might even be at Telford! 😉

More when it happens,

Dean

• Like 5

This is a nice kit to build. However, it’s almost impossible to separate the control column or aerial from the sprue without them ‘snapping’. Reflecting on my build, I’d be tempted to saw off part of the runner that the sprue connecting to the part is on, if that makes sense?

Like all of the new kits from Airfix tolerances are tight, so maybe it’d be better to build sub assemblies first then paint.

Trevor

3 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

This is great kit kit - fitted together very well, even in my novice hands. You'll enjoy it! Are you going with the NMF and shark mouth..? Hoping you are...

Oh yes, nice and shiny. Going to be using AK Xtreme metal for the NMF.

3 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I've a few of those and they're grand kits.  One little job you'll need to do is to scribe lines where the front edges of the elevator balances meet the tailplanes.

I see what you mean...thanks for the tip!

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

This is a nice kit to build. However, it’s almost impossible to separate the control column or aerial from the sprue without them ‘snapping’. Reflecting on my build, I’d be tempted to saw off part of the runner that the sprue connecting to the part is on, if that makes sense?

Trevor

The control column DOES look a little tricky to separate...I've had good results when making sure the attachment point is well supported when cutting it, so I should be ok. Thanks for the warning!

More when something happens,

Dean

• Like 1

Blimey, I seem to have forgotten how to do a WIP!

This model is simply falling together, and the fit is exceptional...everything's happened so fast I haven't had a chance to take any photos before it's got to this stage. I haven't used any filler anywhere, and only the radiator scoop needed a bit of sanding to get it flush. I've gone as far as getting some paint on it already. I've done the yellow on the wing and tail tips, and roughed out the semigloss black on the cowling and around the cockpit. Next step will be to mask all these off and get the metallic on it. 🙂

must6_zpszi4okkvv.jpg

I got the prop painted up too, and decided to just hang it in position for the photos.

must5_zpsszrzlhv2.jpg

must7_zpsrnmg8g2h.jpg

More when it's silver...

Dean

• Like 5

Right. It's silver:

must9_zpsbpulblms.jpg

must8_zpskdesq83o.jpg

I also picked out a few panels in darker metallics, and unmasked the yellow and the black. Not looking too bad so far:

must10_zpse2fkugjr.jpg

must11_zpstebhv0gs.jpg

I also got the fiddly bits of the undercarriage and the exhausts done. The tyres need a bit of a touch up here:

must12_zpsgte1q39w.jpg

Looking to get some decals on it tomorrow - even more colour!

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 6

Decals add a whole new dimension to a model, don't you think? I must say, I like the new Airfix decals. Made a start on the decalling, and they're going on really well. I've done the port side:

must13_zpsc68o3iid.jpg

must14_zpsqgp12mlv.jpg

You really have to look hard for the carrier film, even on a NMF:

must15_zpswuhovl4f.jpg

Couldn't resist seeing how it looked on it's undercart...looks like a wobbly Bambi, doesn't it?

must17_zpscnbmxbq6.jpg

must16_zpsmh0ghbqk.jpg

I've got a feeling this'll be at Telford... 😉

Dean

• Like 5

Oops.

I think we're all familiar with this stuff, aren't we?

must27_zpsrwfxfw3t.jpg

Notice how tall and thin the bottle is.

Notice how unstable it is.

Imagine how easy it must be to knock it over with the lid off.

Imagine what effect a sudden dousing in dichloromethane would do to a tiny little defenceless 1/72 Mustang...

I don't have to imagine...

Only scroll down if you have a strong stomach. The following contains scenes which those of a plastic disposition may find disturbing...

must18_zps88gg1umu.jpg

must20_zpsgs04xarq.jpg

must21_zpsy5d5w3fx.jpg

must22_zpsxfhoasg4.jpg

must23_zpscdbwufca.jpg

must25_zpsgh8onmrm.jpg

must26_zpsj0inlqb5.jpg

must19_zpsjopc1jvp.jpg

Made a mess of the cutting mat, too... 😉

We've all done it. I did it twice accidentally on my last two builds, such that I was inspired to do this deliberately as a Deanflyer Special...I thought it might strike a chord with many modellers. 🙂

If you were at SMW over the weekend, you may have seen it on the Splash SIG table...see, told you it'd be at Telford! 😉

Cheers,

Dean

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Oh boy. :sad:

I was just starting to get annoyed at how much better this was than my Mustang and.... BAM! *

Maybe you could turn it into a diorama of a crashed and burned-out plane?

* This may still be better. 🙄 🤣

EDIT: 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Matt_
Didn't read 'til the end.

I did t know this was yours but did have a chuckle when I seen it at the show, just glad it as deliberate and not accidental! We’ve all been there, that’s why I like the low profile Tamiya extra thin bottles 😂

I am so  sorry for your loss- your Mustang was looking very, very nice, too! I would have been tempted to bury it in a Frog box with full military honors! Haven't spilled any Tenax, but did knock over a bottle of Floquil olive drab I had handmixed on the wing of a 1/72 Monogram P-51B that was going to be my first attempt at a bare metal model....would you believe I have yet to do another silver airplane? I feel your pain, bro'! 😪

Mike

What a disgrace !!!!

It happened to me with the landing gear of a Ta-152 1/48 of Italeri with a similar bottle. That's why I stopped using it and replaced it with extra-liquid Tamiya whose packaging is much more stable.
Something happened to me also with the bottles of Micro liquids. I deposit a little liquid in a stopper and the bottle is left far away, just in case ...

Luck.

Greetings.

If I listed all the words that popped into my head when I saw the first picture, I know I would be immediately banned from this forum and maybe a few other.

Good on ya for turning your disaster into something interesting and different.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

Aargh! It was coming along nicely too. :weep:

I know it’s not much use now but as I build on the dining room table I have to take extra precautions. All paints when open (I hand brush) live on an upturned biscuit tin lid and open bottles of glue, solvents etc in turn are additionally placed  in one of those glass ramekin jars that you get waist busting puddings in.

Hope this helps for next time.

Trevor

Solution to the plastic weld. Get a large jar lid - instant coffee is good. Put plastic weld bottle in lid, and pack it in with plasticene. Makes it awkward to store, but harder to spill.

My own mishap involved spilling a bottle in to a newly opened kit still on the sprues.

Edited by John_W
Autocorrect doesn't like "sprues"

Not only did I see your model at Telford, I took a photo of it!

Nice to see triumph rise out of adversity, and a wry sense of humour :rolleyes:

Which you showed with the caption you put on it - "I may have misunderstood the purpose of the splash SIG"

Edited by Whofan