1:48 Aeroclub Tiger Moth

Caerbannog

So... after a self-imposed longer absence to GBs because of my infamous amount of entered but incompleted kits, I now have a full shelf of doom to pick entries for this GB from. Everything bad has something good somewhere 🙂

So my pick is the Aeroclub Tiger Moth which I started in the Tiger Moth STGB in... eh.. 2016?

KUTA 2018 Tiger Moth

Being highly motivated I did this incredible amount of work yesterday - till the airbrush completely clogged and now is in the ultrasonic cleaner.

KUTA 2018 Tiger Moth

René

• Like 6

No pics today. Just a small update. I bought some acrylic white primer ready for airbrush, but just do not get the stuff to work. It is quite thick and thinning it down did not help: It cloggs the airbrush very quickly. After a 10 to 1 ratio of airbrushing and cleaning the airbrush up I decided to paint it the old way with a hairy stick - and found the primer to be quite good for the task.

Pics will follow in the next update.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:06 PM, Caerbannog said:

So, spend some evenings cleaning the airbrushes, here is my update:

https://flic.kr/p/2cVSbXn

https://flic.kr/p/2aamXi5

So some more sanding and priming ahead.

Flic.kr is playing up with me again too. Why can't manufacturers get their model paint quality right? The amount of posts with issues is ridiculous.

Having never managed to get one of these I look forward to your inevitable success.

• Like 1

It seems I missed to press enter once more - now the flickr links should work.

Not much work on the Moth - I added more coats to the PE parts but wonder why they have been included, because there are very nce white metal versioons as well, which look very nice and which have a good profile without the multiple surfacer layers. Maybe I should read the instructions :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Probably unexpected but it is still on the workbench. Sorry for the few updates and if I meed the deadline it will be likely without the serials, which I will print myself. The artwork is ready but my A4 sheet has some empty spots which I would like to fill with other artworks not yet ready.

However - this is what I have done:

my KUTA Tiger Moth 06

my KUTA Tiger Moth 07

my KUTA Tiger Moth 08

I gave it another cote of Humbrol Trainer Yellow, not just because it is a slightly different yellow colour but also to cover up some of the damage done while trying to get the upper wing in place.

René

• Like 7

OK, I did quitea good progress today but in the end I failed to meet the deadline. The rigging is done the wheels are attached and only a few small bits to add which are not included in the kit. I did several stupid mistakes which had to be corrected (like using the wrong rudder...) and the vacformed windscreens are too big it seems, so the time was used up on problems which could have been avoided with better research and preparation. As the decals are not done still I could not have included the code letters anyway.

Work will continue and hopefully soon the pics will be in the RFI section.

Thanks!

René

Edit:

This is where I left the workbench yesterday:

Kuta Tiger Moth 09

• Like 3

Thanks Chris. I could have done a better job with more careful preparation. Some small bits are not included (or lost?) and have to be fabricated by the builder. The instructions are a bit vague in places, but surely this is not a kit aimed at the occational builder.

Anyhow - some last pictures of the current state:

Kuta Tiger Moth 10

Thanks for watching!

René

• Like 6

It looks fantastic Rene, and whilst it is a pity that you did not quite make the deadline, there is no point in rushing the work that is left. Once you have sorted out the last few little jobs you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour. I look forward to seeing the results over in the RFI section when she is finished.

10 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Thanks Chris. I could have done a better job with more careful preparation. 

René

Looks pretty damned good from here René.  I particularly liked the way you tackled the inter plane struts.

Chris.

• Like 1