P38 Lightning BMF

the South African

Thank you Greg I am not working at it tonight as the heat is something terrible.\\my office peaked at 32 celcius today so I am a bit knackered.

Tomorrow will see some sanding and clearcoat being done however.

Regards:

Shaun

Gentlemen today/well this afternoon I received some awful news(well it would have been awful if you were not a modeler) My youngest daughter is coming down with chicken pocks so I will have to be at home with her for a couple of days.

That having been said I am the silver lining type of person and I will use this time to finish off this build and maybe even the sunderland who knows?

As for tonight I have no pictures yet but the first clearcoat is on and she is drying as I am writing this.Tomorrow by this time the bits of well very limited bits of color should be finished and so should most of the decals.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards:

Shaun

Bad news for your daughter. I hope she gets better soon. My oldest got it then gave it to my youngest and then passed it on to me. It was nasty considering I thought I already had it. 

So be a little careful of yourself. 

Hi all the decals is almost done will post pictures later tonight. Just a word to the wise though:The decals is very nicely done but the tail items suck being prone to breaking and cracking. 

Regards:

Shaun 

Hi Patrice. Thank you for the get well wishes. 

As for the build I am almost done but got a bit carried away and forgot to take foto's will see what I can do about that in the morning. 

I have changed my clearcoat and the NMF got very dull but it is fine as I have read that the polished surfaces dulled very quickly in the pacific due in part to the dust and also the salty air, so I am historically correct in that way. 

Well wishing you all a merry good night and sweet dreams. 

Regards :

Shaun 

In my haste to finish the model I went ahead with completely stuffing up the canopy. I have repaired my vacuum pump though and I am hoping to have a passable vacuum formed item by morning. 

Regards:

Shaun 

I must admit that with only six parts to glue and the canopy to make and glue at the moment I am a bit discouraged by this build. At the very least she's not  tail sitter.

It seems that at the very end of all of my builds since returning to the hobby something is bound to go wrong.(mostly due to myself 😁😁😁)

The glue on the new vac former is still not dry so I do not have a whole lot to show hopefully this will have changed by tomorrow.

Yesterday before mucking up the canopy due to the horrible paint job I had going on there.

IMG-20181116-110706.jpg

Tonights work:

IMG-20181116-234633.jpg

IMG-20181116-234651.jpg

IMG-20181116-234711.jpg

IMG-20181116-235213.jpg

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 5

shame about the canopy as she's looking really nice. I wouldn't be disappointed with her at all.

You wouldn't be the only one for something to happen almost at the end of a build, we've all been there. Mine usually is I forget to do something, then once I've posted the final photos I see or realise what I've forgotten, I'm really bad at that!! :wall:

Are but we live and learn. Again I think she's a fine looking model, who can't love a Lightning, well done. :thumbsup:

Looking good. I know what you mean by something going wrong at the end of the build. I get very nervous at the end. I'm always expecting something to ruin it. I thought had ruined my cowel yesterday by over scratching it. Then I remembered to add the brown/red undercoat to the edges of the chips and it turned out rear nice.

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

shame about the canopy as she's looking really nice. I wouldn't be disappointed with her at all.

You wouldn't be the only one for something to happen almost at the end of a build, we've all been there. Mine usually is I forget to do something, then once I've posted the final photos I see or realise what I've forgotten, I'm really bad at that!! :wall:

Are but we live and learn. Again I think she's a fine looking model, who can't love a Lightning, well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you Rich well I might just have her saved but must first put the finishing touches to my now rebuilt vacuum former.

Having absolutely nothing and at the same time absolutely everything to do with the build in this thread here is a canopy that I made for a project that have been hanging around for the last 6 years (KUTA material anyone?) because of having lost the canopy I made the master but never got around to form the canopy.

Well here is the pics let me know what you think.

Thanks for swinging by and as always comments and critique is welcome.

Regards:

Shaun

IMG-20181118-190657.jpg

IMG-20181118-191819.jpg  

• Like 3

Once again good evening gents.Well I could not possibly go to sleep without seeing whether I will be able to make good on my word so here is the result:

IMG-20181118-212209.jpg

The canopy is in the middle just behind the white master (it is there I promise.I just made a direct copy of the Academy item that I stuffed up,it is not as clear as I would have liked but this is due to me forming the acetate directly on the academy clear item I will however use it as it is still a whole lot clearer than  the kit supplied item.So then I guess this build is officially back on track lest I stuff up the canopy again......

Thanks for dropping by and as always all comments,jokes and critique is welcomed even if they are at my expense.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

nice work with the Vacforming!! The thing to remember with canopies, in real life they aren't perfect and they do get fine scratches in them really easily ( I have done it on a real F-111 canopy while washing it, can say it now as it happened 30 years ago!! :D).

From the photo's it looks great, not many of us have the ability to be able to VacForm, but you seem to have it down pat!!!  :thumbsup:

Well done, now we all know who to go to to have some new canopies made up for us! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice work with the Vacforming!! The thing to remember with canopies, in real life they aren't perfect and they do get fine scratches in them really easily ( I have done it on a real F-111 canopy while washing it, can say it now as it happened 30 years ago!! :D).

From the photo's it looks great, not many of us have the ability to be able to VacForm, but you seem to have it down pat!!!  :thumbsup:

Well done, now we all know who to go to to have some new canopies made up for us! :D

Thanks Rich as for the making of the canopies I will assist gladly that is IF you are willing to trust the crappy SAPO🤣🤣

Regards:

Shaun

• Haha 2

surely they couldn't be any worse than Canadian Post, I'm still waiting for an expensive resin model to show up from Canada, been waiting nearly 2 months already, have this sinking feeling it's gone "missing"!! Though I find i have trouble getting anything from there, always hassles or delays!! Have bought some stuff from SA before, found them to be quick and cheap, compared to some places.....Canada! :rant:

• Haha 2

Rich

Not only post can go wrong. After waiting a while for my Dragon Ju 188A-1 1/48 scale to arrive. It finally was here this week. It has taken me years to find one and I was a happy boy.

I opened the sealed box thinking this will be good sealed. After a quick look I was happy. Then I had a look at the plastic and compared it to the Ju 188E-1 I have. 

It wasn't as good. It was lighter and softer plastic, but ok. Then I thought I would see if the main parts were the same. That's when it happened. I couldn't find the 

Fuselage parts. So I checked the sprues property this time and found I was missing the "A" sprue and had an extra "L" sprue. Just my luck. It is an old kit so I don't 

think I will be able to get the part replaced. Maybe I should give it a try. Anyway I got my money back from the seller. 

• Sad 2

This is a real beauty of a P-38, Shaun, and 1/48 looks like a fantastic scale to model this one in - the details are so clear - and you've added in a super-clear canopy to top it off. The minimal coloured banding really sets off the metal finish, in my view. It really looks like you could start up the props and watch it take off! Well done. All the best. Mike.

Thanks Mike. I am hoping to finish her off this afternoon and then move on to the zero/sunderland build(well the building on both of these s almost done so will just have to mask and paint tbh). 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 1

Seems this one just does not want to get finished.All of the small antennae and other loose parts is now fitted and I have started getting her just a little dirty.Next up is finishing the weathering , a couple of touch ups here and there ,the last four decals after will follow a final clear cote.To be safe let us rather say that I am hoping to have her finished by weekend.

Thanks for popping in and as always all comments and critique is welcome.

Regards:

Shaun

Two loose snaps as prrof that I have not been slacking off totally from my extremely untidy workbench:

IMG-20181120-212047.jpg

IMG-20181120-212112.jpg

• Like 5