Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Hi all I would like to know whether a P38 would be legible for this build I am on kind of a roll and have the academy kit no 2215 in the stash it has been glaring at me for ages.I plan to build it out of box with no aftermarket decals.

 

Regards:

Shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning Shaun

I think that you should ask Trickyrich if he is ok in fact it depends where was based the Lightning you want to build if you read the Welcome and Rules post

things will be clearer ..

 

I plan to build one Academy Lightning myself and I will represent an aircraft based in New Guinea ..

Cheers

Patrice  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi pat thanks for replying I am planning on building Put Put Maru the problem is however that the history has this specific plane and its pilot Island hopping and seems he was part of the Rabaul raids he was in Holandria etc etc famosly also basically suspended when flying with Charles Lindberg who ended up "killing" a zero.

 

IMG-20181106-062925.jpg

 

The plane on the box art capt  Mc Donald's mount.

 

In the case of this one not being legible I can also do a early PBY4?

 

IMG-20181106-063255.jpg

 

Regrads:

Shaun 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening Shaun

 Personnaly I would love to see both of them I know that Charles Mac Donald flew several Lightning nicknamed Putt Putt Maru I think the Academy one would be eligible but you should ask Trickyrich ...

There are several AM decals sheets  https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=P+38+LIGHTNING+DECALS+1%2F48

Best regards

Patrice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Patrice I will ask around further.I would rather not buy AM decals because our postal service is the pits they end up losing things more than the end user receives them (this is unfortunate) I have lost more kits in the mail than I would care to even try and remember.

 

Thank you for your inputs though I have researched the in box scheme on the academy decals for the PBY4 and this is a definate go for the GB.I like the flying boats as they go together nicely and you can go haywire in the additions department as they have very little by way of interior detail.

 

The shapes is very good surface details is very nice and the only noticeable (to those of VERY keen eye) is that the blister shapes is ever so slightly off.The sliding window shapes is very slightly incorrect and then there is the question of a missing frame on the bottom of said blisters this is however a very easy fix as you can just paint it in.I prefer to leave the whole blister as is but that is just me(lots of work for a very small payoff see).

 

The long and short is that at least I now have something to build and will start to do so on Saturday as I am on a IT security design course for the week ahead.  

 

Regards:

Shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning Shaun

I'm not sure that it will comfort you but in France the postal service also lose mail sometimes ...

I hope that you will be able to build Putt Putt Maru for this Gb if it is not possible next year there will be a Lockheed Gb ...

I must admit that I don't know the Academy PBY I mainly build 1/72 kits ..

Cheers

Patrice  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Shaun

I'm not sure that it will comfort you but in France the postal service also lose mail sometimes ...

I hope that you will be able to build Putt Putt Maru for this Gb if it is not possible next year there will be a Lockheed Gb ...

I must admit that I don't know the Academy PBY I mainly build 1/72 kits ..

Cheers

Patrice  

Thanks Patrice in the meantime I have spoken to Rich and it turns out that Put Put Maru does qualify I will start to build on Friday.The Academy kit is very nice (it is a 72nd kit btw).Thanks for the assistance thus far.

 

Regards:

Shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just finished all my course assignments now I have only the exam left Cant wait for Friday!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Academy Catalina's biggest problem is that the engine cowlings and nacelles are significantly undersized. There's a thread running ATM about interest in a correction set- it may be worth a read for the Catalina cognoscenti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see you have the thread up Shaun....even though I missed it when it first went up (have been off-shore for nearly 2 weeks).

 

It'll be nice to see a Lightning in the build, I've build the "Glacier Girl" P-38F version of this model (did mine as a RAAF Photo Recon bird), it's not a bad model. Though there are a few minor things to correct or improve on.

 

Good luck with the build, nice to have you along and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rob G said:

The Academy Catalina's biggest problem is that the engine cowlings and nacelles are significantly undersized. There's a thread running ATM about interest in a correction set- it may be worth a read for the Catalina cognoscenti.

Thanks Rob have you perhaps got a link?

 

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Nice to see you have the thread up Shaun....even though I missed it when it first went up (have been off-shore for nearly 2 weeks).

 

It'll be nice to see a Lightning in the build, I've build the "Glacier Girl" P-38F version of this model (did mine as a RAAF Photo Recon bird), it's not a bad model. Though there are a few minor things to correct or improve on.

 

Good luck with the build, nice to have you along and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

I know that the nose cone has a bit of a fit problem Rich but thanks for the heads up I will have to make use of the books and www to correct matters as far as i can.Once again thanks for the quick response it is truly appreciated.

 

Regards:

Shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O.K guys the course is done and I have some leisure time at hand.Started building and lo and behold the fit issues is not as bad as some would have us believe.Yet it is early days and something may yet pop up.

 

In the meantime I have removed the aux fuel pump bulges the compressability flaps and the aeleron tabs.The landing light holes has been drilled and the formation lights was also drilled out.Also the main components of the cockpit has been assembled and is almost ready for painting(seatbelts will be made from pewter sheet).

 

Here is some initial pictures.Thanks for poping in and as always critique and comments is welcome.

 

Regards:

Shaun.

 

IMG-20181108-173336.jpg

 

IMG-20181109-131012.jpg

 

IMG-20181109-145658.jpg

 

IMG-20181109-193037.jpg

Edited by the South African

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O.K folks well I have been busy for the afternoon and thought that I would put some snaps up for your viewing.I am hoping that by tonight I will have the fuselage assembled completely will start to paint the cockpit after posting this so that cleanup can commence in the early morning.

 

Thanks for dropping by.As ever all comments and critique is welcome.

 

Regards:

Shaun

 

IMG-20181110-184806.jpg

 

IMG-20181110-180545.jpg

 

IMG-20181110-180529.jpg

 

IMG-20181110-191926.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gee you look like you have her all under control! Fit seems to be better with that model then mine.

 

I don't know if they supply plastic wheel as well as those "rubber" ones, but if so then ditch those "rubber" ones! They look good to start with but after a few years and some heat they'll start to perish and crack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words Rich. 

I

was thinking about those rubbery things and was really starting to think that they will have to be replaced will see what I can cobble up locally. 

 

All of the academy kits suffer of horrible fit but I think it is more due to the instructions than the kit itself I do not follow their instruction booklets at all and have found that if you do your kit in a more logical way that fit barely ever gets to be an issue. 

 

Regards:

Shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon Shaun

 Very good and fast start ..

I think that I am going to start mine very soon..

Cheers

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallo Patrice.Glad to have you along friend!Watch out for the fuselage to wing fit the way I built mine yielded just about no fit issues but small gaps is evident along the fuselage joint to the boom aft of the supercharger recesses.

 

Also sand the edges where the nose section sit "flat" along the angles as there is a very small lump on the left hand side as you look from the front I am very sure that this is where the nose fit issues comes in as is reported all over the www.

 

Build up the whole of the fuselage and thin out the cockpit ledges towards the inside of the pod if this makes sense and leave the tabs that support the motor nacelles in the wings (if this makes any sense) it supports the structure to such an extent that you do not need clamps to fit the wings and also makes for a "snap fit" that ensures no gaps along the wings.The cockpit should be placed in from the top as if you do it before everything is built up around it you end up with a lot of troubles leave only the cockpit coaming off until after the tub has been fitted. 

 

The above in short should yield you a solid base to work from but even having done this you will still have a bit of sanding left to do but definitely not as much as you will have as when you will build from the academy instructions.

 

HTH.

 

Regards:

Shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all a very small update that represents a whole lot of work.I have sanded off all of the superfluous jointlines and the cleanup part is now 99% done I did however manage to make a mess of the tail and currently superglue is busy taking up the gap so to speak.

 

As always all comments and critique is welcome and thank you for dropping by.

 

Regards:

Shaun

 

IMG-20181111-175933.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the South African said:

Hallo Patrice.Glad to have you along friend!Watch out for the fuselage to wing fit the way I built mine yielded just about no fit issues but small gaps is evident along the fuselage joint to the boom aft of the supercharger recesses.

 

Also sand the edges where the nose section sit "flat" along the angles as there is a very small lump on the left hand side as you look from the front I am very sure that this is where the nose fit issues comes in as is reported all over the www.

 

Build up the whole of the fuselage and thin out the cockpit ledges towards the inside of the pod if this makes sense and leave the tabs that support the motor nacelles in the wings (if this makes any sense) it supports the structure to such an extent that you do not need clamps to fit the wings and also makes for a "snap fit" that ensures no gaps along the wings.The cockpit should be placed in from the top as if you do it before everything is built up around it you end up with a lot of troubles leave only the cockpit coaming off until after the tub has been fitted. 

 

The above in short should yield you a solid base to work from but even having done this you will still have a bit of sanding left to do but definitely not as much as you will have as when you will build from the academy instructions.

 

HTH.

 

Regards:

Shaun

Good evening Shaun

Thank you but Iwill build the 1/72 kit and the cutting of the parts are rather differents ..

 

Cheers

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Patrice I have built the 72nd kit a while ago too it is a gem of a kit as far as I can remember there is no major issues with it.

 

As of now the issue with the tail has been sorted and the formation light bulge knocked into shape I have also started to apply some pre-shading for the BMF witch I hope to have done by the end of the week if my speed keeps up to what it is at the moment.

 

As always comments critique and jokes of all forms welcome.

 

Regards:

Shaun

 

IMG-20181111-193535.jpg

 

Edited by the South African

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gee I like what you're doing, it's great to see someone who's not afraid of a NMF......it's scares the willy's out of me!!

 

You're making great progress at this rate you'll be finished quite soon,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee I like what you're doing, it's great to see someone who's not afraid of a NMF......it's scares the willy's out of me!!

 

You're making great progress at this rate you'll be finished quite soon,

Thanks for the encouragement Rich it has been ages since I did a NMF I just hope that the prep work hold up. 

 

Regards:

Shaun 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello once again.Today I found myself with some leisure time and the following resulted it is not perfect and there is three places that yet need a bit of tlc and some new silver.I am hopng that she will be decal ready by tomorrow evening.

 

Thanks for swinging by and as per usual all comments and critique is welcome.

 

Kindest of regards:

Shaun

 

IMG-20181112-134515.jpg

 

IMG-20181112-134530.jpg

 

IMG-20181112-141244.jpg

 

IMG-20181112-142830.jpg

 

IMG-20181112-142854.jpg

 

IMG-20181112-162521.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×