'New' Iranian fighter

Mr T

My phone has now decided I want to be informed about various news items and has put up a piece from that well informed and expert in aviation matters journal that is the Daily Express. The story concerns the mass production of an Iranian fourth generation fighter with advanced radar and electronics. The aircraft shown from official Iranian photos is a two seat F5, presumably F5F. Now, Iran may have tarted the venerable Freedom Fighter up with new gear, but at the end of the day the airframe will still be a 45 year old design and not really what could be called 4th generation. Do any of the tabloids have any ability other than read and copy a press release? 

Edited by Mr T
Making more sense
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I thought this press release as a bit odd as the air frame is clearly an F5 modified to carry crew of 4.

Given the massive increase in weight this will give the aircraft very high wing loading making slow and unmovable. Such an aircraft would not stand up to an F22, F35 or Typhoon.

But the Iran’s had success with their Tomcats enabling them to stand off and fire missiles so they may be trying to repeat the process with a modified F5. It looks more like an Intruder/Prowler type machine.

The article went on to blame the Americans for supplying Iran’s enemies with warplanes without mentioning the US F-4, F-5, and F-14’s that they operate whilst Russia supplied Sadam Hussain’s   forces.

It’s also a remarkable coincidence that this press release appears just as US sanctions are re applied.

So I agree, news outlets simply don’t have the basic skills to recognise blatant propaganda and repeat any old rubbish they are sent.

• Like 3

Isn't this old news? I seem to remember it was announced during the Summer. Just another development of the F5. Before that it a twin tail version. They've been fiddling with the F5 for decades. 

Plus there was the famous 'stealth fighter' a few years ago. Mostly propaganda exercises.

In reality they would suffer the fate of the Iraqis against the coalition and the Syrians against the Israelis. Nice targets.

They do seem to have very talented Engineers in Iran. Pity about the regime they live under. 

• Like 1

To me it seems that that newspaper journalists have done a very good job: now that for some Iran is on the bad boys list again, what's best than feeding the readers news about how dangerous the Iranian military are ? Look, Iran are going to mass produce a 4th generation fighter, should we just watch while they do this ?
Considering the the newspaper owners are very closely aligned with those who claim Iran is a danger, the journalists are simply doing what they are paid for...

Of course to us and all other observer of the aerospace industry world the development of yet another variant of the F-5 in Iran is nothing new and the fact that this type is used as a basis of what will in reality be an advanced trainer is actually quite sound_ the F-5F is an aircraft with good flying qualities, easy to produce and maintain. Add a few more advanced electronics and can be a decent introduction to more advanced types. We shouldn't criticise the Iranians too much for wanting to use the F-5 as a trainer, after all the USAF are still using the T-38...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 4

The Daily Excess, like the rest of the gutter press merely follows blindly the first rule of journalism : "Never let inconvenient facts get in the way of a good story"

Allan

• Like 2