I don't usually post air show images, but while scanning more slides last week, this one brought back memories. When I was posted as an exchange officer to the Ministry of Defence (UK), it became a running joke that if the "The Yank" was going to an airshow (or on holiday) you should plan on indoor activities. We went camping through Cornwall and Wales, it rained. We did bed 'n' breakfast around Scotland (kids wanted to see Nessie), it rained. We went camping through Belgium and Germany, it rained - the roads to Garmish were terrible and we ended up staying a couple of days in visitors quarters at Ramstein to let our gear dry out. Went for a long weekend in Paris, it rained. You get the idea.

Here we have an F-15C of the 22nd Tac Fighter Squadron on static at Lakenheath in July 1986. Scanning the slide of 80-0004 just brought the whole experience back to me.

80-0004 22tfs BT EGUL 19860712 09cr

Even my Yorkshire office mate said he'd never seen anything like my experience. Go figure,

Sven

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

I do not remember 1986 as being especially wetter than most British summers, mind you I had just met the future Mrs T and so my mind might not have been on the weather. I do remember the Bitburg F15s, gave great displays at shows although I remember once at Coningsby they had to swap aircraft as the reheat would not light. The Lightning took its place, but would not start until hit with a big hammer. I understand the valve on the AVPIN tank would jam and this was the way to clear it. 

26 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I do not remember 1986 as being especially wetter than most British summers,

I was stationed in London June 1985 to June 1988. After my first four months, one of the tech guys in the office started keeping track (my luck was that bad. I forget the final numbers, but he concluded that my traveling and the chance of precipitation was "statistically significant". So I guess it was me🤔.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Old Viper Tester said:

I was stationed in London June 1985 to June 1988. After my first four months, one of the tech guys in the office started keeping track (my luck was that bad. I forget the final numbers, but he concluded that my traveling and the chance of precipitation was "statistically significant". So I guess it was me🤔.

Sven, bet the buggers tied the rain clouds to your bumper......

(Fender if you prefer!)

Paul

• Haha 2

Your anecdote and photos brought back a lot of memories for me, too! My Dad was with the IG and we were stationed at Wiesbaden, Lindsey Air Station, from 1965-67, and had good friends stationed at Ramstein AB...boy, do I remember the rain and the fog! We got to Germany in June- sunny and mild and were thinking what a great assignment this was going to be; then came September and we didn't see the sun again or get dry for the next 6 months. Can't image how all those 8th AF and RAF aircrew survived in that horrible weather over the continent in WW2, especially with the primitive instrumentation and navigational aids they had. Big brass ones, I would say! BTW, thanks for sharing, as always!

Mike

My Dad was with the Berlin Airlift, and it was so neat comparing the b&w photos he had taken at Tempelhof  in '48 compared to the way it looked when we were there in '65!

• Like 2