Revell 1/72 Fortress Mk.II FINISHED!!

modelling minion

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Glynn, yes thankfully there doesn't seem to be any further cleaning up required, which makes a refreshing change

I'll be seeing you in the panzer gb  section quite soon then I suppose😋

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 9:59 PM, modelling minion said:

As you may notice I have had to open up a couple of extra windows on either side of the astrodome on the nose as I noticed that they were visible on the few pictures available of my Fortress, here's a closer look;

46278569201_8ef8ab09be_o_d.jpg

I just noticeable on my build. I'm at the decals stage. The Memphis Belle option has 4 flush windows in the roof of the nose - depicted by shapes of silver decal no 96.

• Like 3

Well after much masking ( an awful lot of masking!) I have managed to get the upper surface colours on and also the de-icing boots on the wings tail and tail planes so hopefully that is all of the painting done, here's a couple of pics of how she looks now;

31496215087_619738544c_o_d.jpg

31496216047_8e3d4871b5_o_d.jpg

46385137622_8641986ce0_o_d.jpg

I really do like this scheme but she looks far too clean at the minute, need to get some gloss on the upper surfaces then I can get the decals on and start on the weathering.

That's it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

Sorry for not giving more updates but I decided to spend my spare time getting as much done as possible rather than updating every stage and as such there has been a reasonable amount of progress. The gloss was applied to the upper surfaces and the decals applied, no problems with these at all as DK Decals behave very well indeed, then a panel wash was added to the whole airframe and then a matt coat applied. After that I weathered the upper surfaces and have also added exhaust staining above and below the wings and done a little bit of weathering and that is pretty much where things stand at the minute so here are a couple of pics.

Upper surfaces;

44706763020_727a168e29_o_d.jpg

And the underneath;

46472014642_e35a50ee1b_o_d.jpg

I am now building up the ASV aerials from some brass rod, I've just finished the one for the nose and need to build the ones for under the wings, here's the nose one;

44706766120_43ed48afa2_o_d.jpg

Not perfect but it will do, and at least the crew will be able to watch the TV now :) .

That's it for now, probably no more updates until she is finished which will hopefully be by tomorrow and then I can get on with my Panzer IV before Stix gets upset with me. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Coming along really nicely, still can’t wait for the finished thing.

You don't have long to wait as she is finished, just have to wait until I can take some pictures as the light is awful at the moment, when it gets a bit darker I can put the light on and try and take some then.

And here are the photos to prove it.

44726079340_723ef31c13_o_d.jpg

44726083860_9f032f3761_o_d.jpg

The photo above shows the aerial fitted to the nose, it might be a bit lower than the real ones sat but that is where Revell provided a hole so that's where it went! The pictures below show the aerials under the wings from above and below.

45819756904_1487215678_o_d.jpg

45819762264_b7db1231c7_o_d.jpg

45819758424_ed5276f5ff_o_d.jpg

45819760404_768afe45a8_o_d.jpg

45819763984_c05a0ceb44_o_d.jpg

44726096830_80d22e1c13_o_d.jpg

32670402198_f3037702f1_o_d.jpg

32670394028_fb57f43c70_o_d.jpg

A big thank you to VP for running this show, I've really enjoyed this kit and the GB as a whole and it will not be my last B-17, I've also just pre-ordered a book on B-17's in foreign service which comes out in March so my next one will be in more unusual colours.

Thanks to all of you who have dropped in and offered help, advice and encouragement along the way (always welcome) and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

And a Happy New Year to you all.

Craig.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That looks superb, i just bought this in the lms. 

Hope, if/When I start it it turns out half as good, when/if I do I will probably try a cutaway one to show the interior.

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Impressive results

Thank you Neil.

8 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

That looks superb, i just bought this in the lms. 

Hope, if/When I start it it turns out half as good, when/if I do I will probably try a cutaway one to show the interior.

Thanks, a cutaway isn't a bad idea as you can't see a thing when the fuselages are closed up.

I wouldnt hold your breath on my build, if you look back at my builds I hardly ever finish my plane builds (even commissioned ones) I'm drawn to them (hence buying this one) but I just seem unable to build them. I take my hat off to people like you who seem to always get great results.

• Like 1

So nice. I'll admit that I chuckle when I see that thin strip running along the spine -- I wonder why they felt the need to mask off that tiny area when they were painting the real deal.

Your Fortress looks very eye-catching and the scratch work on the antennae really sets it off.

• Like 1