!/48 Gannet AEW

14 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Although they usually go for quite high prices on Ebay.

It never reached production

See one of many threads on here about the AEW 3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayprit said:

It never reached production

I didn't know that.

It must be the other Classic Airframe Gannets that I've seen being fought over on ebay.

4 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I didn't know that.

It must be the other Classic Airframe Gannets that I've seen being fought over on ebay.

Your very right Gorby, that Classic  Gannet is always being fought over...………...

Don't believe all you read on Scalemates, its very full of inaccuracies and is full of holes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I didn't know that.

There was a Hannants exclusive reissue relatively recently , which dropped the price considerably, but ebay is famed for silly people getting into bidding wars, that others then seem to think is "what something is worth" ....

There was also the Dynavector vacform,  which is a really high quality kit, and is much less sought after as it's a vac.  

https://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/yonggannet.htm

and

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70191-148-dynavector-gannet-as-1/

I meant to clone some of the CA resin bits and then flog the CA kit and do the Dynavector kit with the added resin.  

I'd be surprised if I ever do either though given the amount of 'projects' I have laid down, along with never seeming to ever getting any actual modelling done due to a variety of exceedingly dull reasons...   and the Gannet is a marginal interest for me, as not being in one of my areas of specific interest.

1 hour ago, rayprit said:

Your very right Gorby, that Classic  Gannet is always being fought over...………...

Don't believe all you read on Scalemates, its very full of inaccuracies and is full of holes

But it is a starting point for research, and at least can be corrected.

• Like 1

But it is a starting point for research, and at least can be corrected.

Oh I don't know, sometimes a good set of plans and scratchbuilding is way better than a bad kit.

Mind I've never scratched anything newer than 1917 vintage. Although I have done some large scale conversions on newer stuff that almost qualifies.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Oh I don't know, sometimes a good set of plans and scratchbuilding is way better than a bad kit.

I took the quote to refer to Scalemates, and my comment  was about that.   

The AEW Gannet was planned to have a new fuselage I think.   Wonder how different the AEW radome was from the one on the Skyraider,

• 4 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, Troy Smith said:

I took the quote to refer to Scalemates, and my comment  was about that.   

The AEW Gannet was planned to have a new fuselage I think.   Wonder how different the AEW radome was from the one on the Skyraider, 

I believe the radome was actually scabbed to the Gannet, then in turn onto the Shackleton. I know the actual radar was the same.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy_Max said:

I believe the radome was actually scabbed to the Gannet, then in turn onto the Shackleton. I know the actual radar was the same.

Yes indeed, although the fairings were new each time to allow for the different fuselage profiles.  Hence Tom's 1/32 Shackleton will use an Avenger radome if he decides to finish it as an AEW.Mk.2.