1/72nd Airfix Beaufighter conv to a Mk.I with resin flat tailplane and early wheels.

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I didn`t bother taking pics of the early construction as I`ve this covered this elsewhere,........ so I`ve started with the main airframe assembled, ready to start the conversion;

DSCF5151

Here is the model up close;

DSCF5152

Here is the resin AML flat early tailplane conversion;

DSCF5154

DSCF5155

And here are the resin wheels with the early hubs;

DSCF5153

And so that is it for now! I`ll probably be doing a night fighter so I`ll obtain the antenna from left over Hasegawa Beau parts,..... this is the decal sheet I`ll be using, from DK Decals;

navod beaufighter RAF 1_48_1

I`ll probably go for the first one, X7583/WM-S in overall black from 68 Sqn at Coltishall which was often flown by the Czech crews on the squadron including Warrant Officer Bebek.  The photo below being dates 28th-April 1942;

Beaufighter-MkIF-RAF-68Sqn-WME-X7583-WtOff-L-Bebek-Coltishall-28th-Apr-1942-Profile-0A

.. however I do intend on doing number 8 at some time,.`Bengazi Bus' .... I have photos of the real aircraft in books but cannot decide whether it was actually in desert finish or a desert faded and weathered Temperate Sea Scheme,...... so if anybody has an opinion I`d love to hear it!

download (1)

Cheers for now,

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 17

Looking good! Whilst fiddling with the Beaufort I found that you can get back to the early flat tailplane with a bit of fettling of one of the kit alternatives, but resin will certainly speed up your build.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,.... I got the model sanded today and added the resin horizontal stabilisers,.... but ran out of daylight,... so I`ll add pics tomorrow instead!!

However,.... I also started another kit straight from the box tonight to do in this scheme, X8084/ 4-R from 9 OTU at RAF Aldergrove! ;

X8084   9 OTU  RAF Aldergrove

I just need to dig out some suitable red codes now and a black serial!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Hiya Folks,

Here is the Night Fighter,... all ready for painting;

DSCF5156

A close up of the resin tail parts;

DSCF5157

And here is the Coastal Schemed model,..... built straight from the box;

DSCF5158

And here are both models together,.... we`ll call them Black and White,.... as that is what they will soon be!

DSCF5159

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 14

Hiya Folks,

A quick update,...... the models have been spray painted in their respective black and white base colours using Tamiya rattle can`s,..... not it is time for the paint brushes!

DSCF5161_NEW

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

Two Beaufighters? The only thing better than one Beaufighter ;)  One of those mainly white Costal Command schemes is on my personal wish list of future projects so your choice of that subject has redoubled my interest in this particular thread :D 

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,.... I`m cracking on and have got the EDSG on overnight and today;

DSCF5164

I`m currently building up the black cowling lips but realised that I was running out of daylight so swiftly took the photo!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Looking good Tony, can't beat Tamiya rattle cans for quality of finish. RAF Aldergrove, did a summer camp there with 318 Sale Squadron ATC. Got me 3 1/2 hours in a Sycamore! I was hooked on choppers after that...

Colin

• Like 2

Fantastic! Two more Beaus, how many is that now? I though i had a problem passion for Beaufighter's with seven completed (and more in the stash, and lets not mention Blenheim's okay!).

A MkI night fighter with flat tailplanes is also on my 'to do' list. 

Watching with great interest!

• Like 2

Cheers Fella`s,.... yep I`ve got a bit of a Beaufighter fix going on at the moment,.... and ..... fancy getting hooked on helicopters by the Crab`s Colin and then going off to wear bell bottoms,...... but then you like your airfield to be on the roof son`t you mate!  

I`ve got the decals on the models today,...... the red codes for the Coastal aircraft had to be chopped up a bit and altered from the Modeldecal sheet to match the codes on the real aircraft a little better;

DSCF5168_NEWDSCF5166DSCF5167

And for those who saw my 1/48th scale Beau`s,.... I`m still tootling along with the refurbishment of an old Tamiya 1/48th scale Beau which I built many moons ago,..... I`ve given it early style horizontal tailplanes and repainted it as the famous `Young Hunter III' of 89 Sqn which was used on detachment in Malta from the units Egyptian base. Although delivered in overall black,.... they were soon given a desert finish on top to make them less visible on the ground during daylight hours;

DSCF5171

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 19

Beautastic as per normal! That Coastal Command Scheme looks rather smart.

There’s something rather pugnacious and purpousful about the Beau even when standing still.

Now then, a slight thread diversion in case you want to do an Aussie target tug......

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeVQHGrnkgw/

There’s something not quite right :hmmm:

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Blimey Tony.  You shall be known as Tony many Beaus !!! In years to come people will remember your Beau  period as per other famous artists. 

Great work on them all as usual and phenomally quick too. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:29 PM, Max Headroom said:

Beautastic as per normal! That Coastal Command Scheme looks rather smart.

There’s something rather pugnacious and purpousful about the Beau even when standing still.

Now then, a slight thread diversion in case you want to do an Aussie target tug......

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeVQHGrnkgw/

There’s something not quite right :hmmm:

Trevor

Haha,.... I once saw a Dauntless with similar folding wings gaining first prize in a local model show lol,.... which made me chuckle a bit!!!.... The Beau is a brute isn`t it,...... I`m just reading a book about a bloke from 47 Sqn who flew them in the Med and later in India/Burma,...... he loved them,..... but also loved the Mossie which replaced them too.  

Cheers Fella`s,..... once I`ve recovered from Telford I shall get back on with these three Beaus! 

On 11/9/2018 at 8:48 PM, Scimitar said:

I was going to post a photograph of a Royal Navy Beaufighter as your next one but got diverted by this short film:

That is a great film and I`m always open for seeing photos of RN Beau`s,...... I`ve built a few but have more planned!

Cheers

Tony

24 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I`m always open for seeing photos of RN Beau`s,..

Not many about and those that I have found are very poor quality.

Some examples to perhaps whet your appetite..

Mk II T3431 L9Y of 775 Sqn

Mk X NV295 of 775 Sqn

MkII V8169 of 779 Sqn and 

Mk II T3099 W9Q of 789 Sqn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

Well it took a while to recover from Telford but I`ve got stuck back into these Beau`s. The night fighter is almost finished now thanks to a set of antennae from a Hsegawa Beau kit,...... but the Coastal Beau is finished and here it is;

DSCF5280_NEW

DSCF5294_NEW

DSCF5275_NEW

DSCF5282_NEW

I`ll stick an RFI in later and hopefully have the black Beau finished tomorrow,

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 15