Tamiya 1/32 F-4J Decal options?

Troffa

I think Tony.t nailed it a few posts back-  the dots look pretty regular, so maybe a paint stick or something tamped over one of the fasteners or panel edge. 

It's a lovely jet. The FAA Museum was pretty enjoyable yesterday, and if you are ever over here Antii I'd be happy to be your guide.

44577478850_0c2490036f_c.jpg

44577478850_0c2490036f_c.jpg

It's really worth a visit!

45671133164_f906893e3b_c.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 17 December 2018 at 5:25 PM, ziggyfoos said:

In the VF-143 color photo I posted on the first page the nose gear/door looks red to me, was there a red option?

It's possible the edge red colour was extended inwards as a matter of expediency, though probably not regulation, and it looks more like a bronze red or the brick red colour (lead?) used on ship's hulls below and around the waterline.

I have no reliable info on this - you know infinitely more!

Tony

Edited by tony.t
usual faffing

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, ziggyfoos said:

I hadn't planned on doing the full data/stencil markings with the panel numbers since others have already covered the original style in both scales (Furball in 1/48 and Zotz in 1/32). I know Cam also does a 1/32 stencil sheet but w/o panel numbers.

But I have thought of doing the other common style in 1/32 that was pretty common (open stencil/sprayed on style, likes shown below). But it's a lot of work and not sure if I'll get around to it.

Well I changed my mind as usual, but was right in saying it was a lot of work. Over the holiday break I finished a new sheet specifically covering the painted on stencil type data I mentioned in that Nov post, will be new AOA sheet #32031. Website isn't updated yet but images are posted on the Facebook page (no FB account required to view)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello ziggyfoos,

I just visited your website and saw the new decal sets for the Tamiya F-4J. I'm glad you changed your mind and saw the trouble of producing the stencils set. Once again it looks great. The "Red Devils" option looks also very tempting.

I thought that the stencil type panel numbers, servicing markings and so on represent a "later style" (1970s) markings. So these are actually for the older aircraft (pre May 1968)?

Kind Regards,

Antti

14 hours ago, Antti_K said:

I just visited your website and saw the new decal sets for the Tamiya F-4J. I'm glad you changed your mind and saw the trouble of producing the stencils set. Once again it looks great. The "Red Devils" option looks also very tempting.

I thought that the stencil type panel numbers, servicing markings and so on represent a "later style" (1970s) markings. So these are actually for the older aircraft (pre May 1968)?

From what I can tell they're on airframes that have gone through a rework facility after already being in service previously with their original new McD factory data (that is the type Zotz did in 1/32 and Furball in 1/48). I hope it was/is clear that the painted on stencil type in this latest release will not be appropriate for every F-4 scheme, just like the McD type previously mentioned from Zotz/Furball wouldn't either (those only be appropriate for new airframes from the factory). Then others, like the VF-143 examples earlier in the thread, have a different type. The famous "check references".

That Red Devils sheet has an early F-4J from 1969 as one option but that one would've still had the original McD airframe data; but come 1972, the Lancer's "old" F-4J for example had the open stencil type data (also WD-14 did too for those with the old Fox One sheet).

The stencil type was definitely in use by at least as early as 1966 on F-4Bs, there's probably earlier examples but here is clear one from late 1966 or early 1967:

323a.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Great job Troffa🙂  Your Phantom looks simply great! Mine is still waiting for decals...and now I'm (once again) more tempted with the Marines version🤣

Well, I might should get mine ready right after my current Il-28R project.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1