Spitfire 22 "Vintage" Build

A Final Final inspection under a strong light first though.

That primer will show up any imperfections before the top coat goes on.

Time and again I've been convinced I was ready for top coat. I was wrong!

Silver is so unforgiving.

Good luck

On 11/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, spitfire said:

Yes watch out for the undercarriage, this is what happened to my Hasegawa/Warbirds Spitfire XIV, mind you it was mostly resin, I used white metal undercarriage which were not up to it, I replaced them with  G Factor items, the sad story is here

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/44837-this-is-sad-collapsed-spitfire-xiv/&page=3.

ssIvap.jpg

This was probably why, there was not much left of the "donor" kit.

3FhHLZ.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Why I make a point of avoiding white metal wherever I can, that and photo etched pitot tubes!

• Like 1

First coat of Silver revealed that more sanding was needed. 

Three or four cycles of filling, sanding and painting later it looks like this.....

IMG_0676.jpg

Also arrived are the Brassin U/C legs. I know they are for an earlier version, but the are the same length and should support the resin nose, which is heavy. 

They look good, lots of detail: they are in the foreground of the photo.

I got a copy of the later Revell transfers, thanks to the guys at IPMS Avon decal bank.... (funny old world, I hosted the very first meeting of IPMS Avon back in 1980 something...)

So, the aircraft will be "K" from 73 Squadron in Hong Kong, finished in silver overall. 

I hate painting silver....!!🤬

Too big to brush, I can airbrush or could go to Halfords and buy a big can of silver!! 

What would you do?

• Like 2

That looks like it is being beaten into shape very nicely! There must be a big pile of plastic dust somewhere...

I have heard good things about it but when I tried Nissan Silver it was a bit speckly. Maybe I didn’t shake it up enough or I was spraying when it was too cold. I have tried Halfords aluminium spray and it is foolproof, well this fool anyway.

Regards,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean, 

progress is being made... spraying allover silver is a pain, it shows up every micro blemish.....!

Next job is to fix the U/C and take a couple of photos. 

Then transfer time! 

On 18/12/2018 at 19:44, Pete in Lincs said:

Halfords. Nissan silver.

Working well...see my previous post! 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It has taken rather longer than I expected, but here is the F22, parked next to the Mk 1 Hurricane.

Both will be in the "Ready for inspection Thread in a week or so. 

The Spitfire is PK428  in the markings of 603 City of Edinburgh Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Airforce in 1950.

The records show that PK428 had a short life, built in 1945, probably in Salisbury then moved to 33MU 6-9-45,  VA KEE 16-4-47 mods,  VA Chilbolton Airfield, Hampshire 2-1-48 trials to cure elevator instability, moved to 603S 5-5-48, ros 22-2-49 FAC3R 22-2-51 nes 16-6-53 sold scrap MoS 26-5-54 

spacer.png

The Hurricane is better documented. Hurricane L1697 was one of the first production batch, built by Hawkers at either Kingston upon Thames or at Brooklands in 1939 and was the 150th Hurricane built. It was destroyed on the ground by ME 110s in April 1940, whilst awaiting repair after a hard landing at A French Air Force base at Charleville-Mézières, in France. 

The Spitfire 22 is well detailed in this thread, the Hurricane is the original edition of the Revell lit, started in 1971.....it isn't the best kit and the dark green is an odd colour, probably a tin of Humbrol 30 from the 1960s. I have tried to match it to do some touching up, but with variable results. The Roundels are painted.  

So we have one of the earliest of the RAF Monoplane fighters, and one of the last, covering just 11 years. 

• Like 1