Good lord its a Boat!!! (Life Boat Actually)

D1fuN0

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

Well I can honestly say that I have never ventured into these waters before (see what I did there :))

Yes, I know, my complete ignorance of all things nautical probably wont make me a good ship Modeler, but there is method behind my floaty thing madness

(Its not actually the first ship I've built. As a kid I built the Airfix HMS Fearless, Matchbox HMS Tiger, and one of the Novo Ships but cant remember which one, but basically they were all Saturday afternoon stick togethers and weren't painted.)  

When the Severn Class Lifeboat was released ,I literally was the first person in the shop to buy one (buying one, turns out, was a mistake)

My Late Grandfather was big into building large scale RC Lifeboats that you may have seen at a couple of shows years ago, and I thought, Id love to build one in memory of him. This was the time before I had an airbrush and, well honesty, I made a complete pigs ear of it, not finishing it and eventually throwing it away in a very unhappy state. No problem I though, I'll just get another one and try again (Riiiiight). Well its been a good couple of years since that day, and I actually got one yesterday from a good friend :) 

resized_1e770275-1d3e-48c8-b768-d72e0986

I fully intend not to make a pigs ear of this one. 

Since the wife has been away at a Spa all today with No1 daughter, I've had a good few hours to play with it.

Yesterday afternoon I assembled the hull and was mildly not amused with the joint between the lower and upper hulls. So out came the Tamiya Putty and that was filled and left to dry over night. First thing this morning I sanded that off and got some primer on and this afternoon I got some paint on. 

Used some Tamiya bendy tape to create the white line and sprayed the bottom of the hull X-7 Gloss Red. Ill be using Tamiya acrylics throughout as I gave up on Humbrol paints years ago. 

resized_a2137641-8a71-49ed-bebe-1264f662

One thing I've noticed on a lot of these models is that they are finished very SHINY!. Whilst there is nothing wrong with that, I prefer to do this in a semi gloss finish, with maybe a bit of mild weathering. I shall be displaying this full hull as I seriously suck at making sea :) 

Righto then, there will be more soon and any comments and helps will be greatly appreciated 

:poppy:

• Like 11

As you build it you will discover that there are two capstan winches on the deck (one fore, one aft) but Airfix only provide one in the kit!

Many people (including me) build the kit so the cabin is removable. 

Oh, and I agree the decals are naff. I painted all the hull markings and made masks for the hull numbers.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Morning Chaps :bye:

Right then, I've sprayed the Red (X7), the Blue (X3), That's all come out nicely and thankfully I didn't have any paint creeping over onto the white waterline. I think the line is a tad wide maybe a mm or two?

That line is very frustrating because it appears to bend because of the shape of the hull :) (well that's my excuse) resized_87fa1896-6846-45ae-9db3-483cd4e8

A coat of Clear was sprayed over it and when dry, I masked off the top of the hull to spray the black bits 

resized_febc65e4-f1b1-4799-9e47-590a2d64

At the same time, the deck was first sprayed Blue (X3)

resized_859b56dd-4230-42a4-8998-e53ac7ad

And then the same process was followed with Clear, after which it was taped off and the deck was sprayed with Dark Sea Grey (XF54), its about the closest I could get to Humbrol 27.

While all that was drying, I painted the bits for the rear of the boat (I'm assuming they are some kind of trim vanes?) 

That's it for now, time to move onto the interior (yay!) all the bits have been cleaned up and ready for spraying 

Cheers 

• Like 5

Good Afternoon Chaps :bye:

Onward's and upwards 

Couple of things I remember from the last one of these I built, was that the interior frame was too tall and the round object on the rear deck was too far forward 

resized_a585f985-eab4-44a6-b161-97e66d55

So rather than go thru all that crap again, I've cut down the top of the supports and that should do for that, plus I sliced off the round fitting off the rear deck

resized_367cc120-0015-4474-ae2d-2798ad59

Deck taped off and the white bits sprayed Flat White. I really hate hand painting white, so it was worth the effort of an hours masking for 5 minutes of spraying :) . It was at this point that I realised that I made a bit of a doosh move on the deck. I sprayed the side sections blue and then all the associated masking when in fact it doesn't need painting as the cabin sides extend that far down :) 

Most of the interior parts have now been base coated and ready for paint.

Just an observation. I don't build many Airfix kits, 32nd cars and 48th armour being basically it, but I'm not a big fan of how Airfix do the runners. Its like a treasure hunt every time you need to look for a piece. I like the idea of numbered or lettered runners, with parts 1-xxx on them, and marked as such in the instructions. It just makes things a little easier. Just my opinion. 

Right then, waiting for stuff to dry.... (bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy) :) 

Mad Steve

• Like 2