dov

Hallo again

This will be my F-4D, ZM kit in 1/48. As on my WIP from the C-version, I will continue with all improvement I noticed from the C-version.

IMi0kTq.jpg

e8BN94b.jpg

If anybody has pictures from this particular a/c, let me know. The weapon load I will use is not fixed yet.

I think about an AGM-45 Shrike and AGM-65 Maverick. In addition, an ALQ-119 in station 4.

Well,

Happy modelling

• Like 3

Hallo again

The weapon load I fixed yet.

At station

1.   AGM-45 Shrike

2.   A triple of AGM-65 Maverick

3.   Clear

4.   ALQ-119

5.   SUU-23A 20mm Gun Pod

6.   Clear

7.   Clear

8.   A triple of AGM-65 Maverick

9.   AGM-45 Shrike

AS you see, most is prepared. The outboard pylons I will do once more in resin, since these I used I prepared for the C version outboard angled for a TER or MER. I will use them in vertically position for the AGM-45.

The inner wing pylons will get the LAU empty for the AIM-9.

The gun pod and the ALQ-119 pod needs some surfacer too. Ion my next session I will get ready than for spraying.

It is my way, to get the configuration settled before I start the kit. Also the complete ordnance finished, just to plug in. When the model is on the way, I have no patience and no head for any such things.

k4T5scB.jpg

OHeM828.jpg

RPZKsZz.jpg

DJ0c1ET.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 2

Hallo again

After a short brake, I am here again with some progress. What I actually did, was spraying, and getting some panel lines done for my ordinance. The pylon from the kit and resin parts from True Detail.

The weapons are all from Hasegawa weapon sets.

The decals for the weapons, here is some mistake in the weapon set. The color for the strips of the shrike at the tail should be brown. As I mentioned at the C version already the color system of the USAF is very simple. Brown is the rocket engine; yellow the warhead; black hoisting information. All to read in the weapon manual, I already posted in the C version.

R7hTju0.jpg

0i6GzyN.jpg

6iduvJJ.jpg

ByiNqoc.jpg

bZ6zJbO.jpg

YKxzrWN.jpg

ULEXYRR.jpg

Izn3FB0.jpg

62BVDNa.jpg

J95vXig.jpg

Pylon prior stenceling

VPNGODQ.jpg

xJtmjmu.jpg

Just to add:

At the pylon, the chaff and flare dispenser: The picture shows the pylon prior weathering. The dispenser boxes most time are partly without paint usually, after firing the boxes. The heat is the enemy of the paint. Air Show a/c are mostly fresh painted. Operative ones lack usually all paint. You see it as example on the model of the F-16A Netz from my wife, at the forum RFI.

Now it is almost finished, but the gloss varnish coat is still missing. Tomorrow.

When I start the cockpit, I will check out the ejection seat from brasin, since it looks good. I know, I have to try it, since Eduard is always ready for disappointment.

Actually, I do not know, if my model ever flew with such a configuration. The config is logic. The sidewinder rails will be sideward of the inner pylon.

Happy modeling

• Like 3

Hallo again

Well, I assembled the weapons after I gave them a clear vanish. I am not satisfied with them. Especially the AGM-65 looks awkward in comparison to the brasin version. Nevertheless, they are so expensive, and in my case, there is no triple ejector in brasin available too. Maybe I will take the inboard pylon and put an empty TER on it.

The cockpit I started differently to the C-version. Since the fit of all parts is excellent, I sprayed all in the separated state. Here I am going to paint all whatever necessary. I do not want to use the decals from the kit. Moreover, I do not want to use the etched parts either.

Why? I lose the 3-D effect. In the meantime, after 25 years I take it as a welcome competition to paint. Some aftermarket products supporting my idea is AML cockpits too.

You may take a look on the progress!

zgX8TxJ.jpg

6ZfAIon.jpg

IQTPM7S.jpg

uOrpIQS.jpg

nu8dS48.jpg

Sz8u4Nd.jpg

kYBmqPY.jpg

spBF56A.jpgyK2UAZ4.jpg

Happy modeling

• Like 4

Hallo again

Here now the next step, after spraying the main colors: White 316, grey 317 and black 2 was painting.

To understand at the beginning: I always need before painting a gloss surface; otherwise, you impede the color you want to paint to flow easily. So every flat color is omitted and semi-gloss is made glossy by mixing it with a gloss clear varnish. At the very end, after finishing that all, take a flat clear varnish.

Basic: The panel lines in gray, which are now black from spraying, I made gray first. When the result was satisfactory, I took a light silver (aluminum #8) dry brush to highlight. Use a stiff bristled brush. Also the wheelbay, which is also part of this turn. Some oil, very much diluted, mostly only the wheelbay.

Than white. Internal of instruments slightly dry brush with white and only a soft hair brush. 10/0 is my size to paint details.

Following with white for some switches and knobs. Also placards. Then if red is required, so I use always white as a base. (White #1).

The radarscopes: White and after drying clear orange.

With C colors, you can work just on, without breaks. These breaks are dangerous too, because you forget the last step!

The result satisfies me, and I will not use etched parts for every cockpit, as I did in the past.

Assembling the whole thing. On this way, I lost one canopy leaver. I must scratch it. As I told you on the C-version, the fuselage is now soft and flexible and the gluing seam at the dorsal requires strengthening!

YWgvNyB.jpg

LdKZ7HQ.jpg

lfnpv8Y.jpg

5pgN8R3.jpg

pRzhqe9.jpg

vSlccKj.jpg

yxPESei.jpg

xmLzf4I.jpg

NcYbQ2r.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 6

Brilliant detail work on the cockpit.

Also, I've never seen this scheme before. Looks even nicer than the last Marines F-4Ss in three-tone grey.

Alan (believes that grey jets rule 😉👍)

Hallo again

Now the progress on my F-4D was not so big. IT included the finishing of the cockpit in the a/c and the ejection seat finishing. The glasses I took out and cleaned them. The closed canopy I use for my working progress as a protection of dust and even destroying some interior. For spraying on the way, I seal it with Tamiya tape. I prepared all parts for air intake and engine. The air intake duct is my principal duty, since it makes about 50% of the appearance of the finished model.

At my C-version, I oversaw some critical areas. The injection seat I did was preassembled.  Therefore, painting was not so easy. Even the harness from HGW was difficult to glue. To minimize this, I did it the other way round. The problem, which I faced, was the minimum of adherend. The parachute container is nearly impossible to glue with plastic glue. Why? On the photo, you see the arrow. Here is a collar around of 0.5mm. This is the adherend! Therefore, I would call it a typical design flaw. On this way, I have to mention, that ZM has no harness at all in the kit. Not even a decal. This is especially for low budget modeler an economic trap, because they must pay additional 10 Euro approximately for the HGW harness. HGW harness is not easy, and the instruction is far away of clearly represented! Pondering and guessing!

Actually, I wanted to use Eduard brasin seat, but here again the Eduard devil struck me again. Items are missing or items do not fit at all. See my C-version on MER weapon set. The etched fret was just one times included, instead twice. Maybe I get it on time.

Now the air intake. At the C-version, I oversaw the marks from the ejection pins. In addition, you find it at ZM kit really all the way through the representative intake until the fan of the engine. In summary about 5 or 6 really heave marks! On each side on one surface top or bottom, in summary at least 20 such beautiful marks! They seem to be shallow, but they are awful visible. Since there is no remark in the instruction, it happened to me at the C-version, to oversee it!

Now I prepared the parts, and I strengthened the seams of the intake as you see on the photo.

Well, now the glue of the air duct must cure.

P408tgn.jpg

xA1YJvJ.jpg

GyRrIwb.jpg

ctEFIpL.jpg

pop22Le.jpg

E1oKPnk.jpg

6YvVlR0.jpg

tmW75hi.jpg

EE8zFwt.jpg

S8uzqps.jpg

tvZtE5l.jpg

ebukboj.jpg

tm87KHH.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 2

Hallo again

Now the intake, the engine and the wing is glued and assembled. On the way, let us start with the intake. I wanted to find a method to grind it easily. In addition, I wanted to fill the gaps with CA. To work faster. Therefore, I tried several things, but after some experience noticed that, the sanding sticks from AA (Albion Alloy) together with the shaft of a thin brush works best. The engine afterburner area I sprayed green as the first layer, which is also the real base color. Later on with black and flat clear varnish. All the other parts in this game with their color. The nozzle will get later on Alclad treatment. The assembling of the engine is straightforward. Nevertheless, the assembly of the intake with the engine, here be careful. You have a step there at the intake engine side and a ring at the engine by itself. This is nonsense! However, these parts together is like a gamble of hazard. As you see, I supported the engine / intake, because it is too fragile and flexible. The bitter outcome for me was a little displacement from the intake front part to the intake rear part. Why? Because I did the support strips for better gluing. Yes, it is visible, but much better as the fragile joint otherwise. Next time I will use thinner material for this purpose. Photo of this matter next time!

uZGc2za.jpg

y0s1smy.jpg

AUj2oRn.jpg

tLBJAba.jpg

wDXt4by.jpg

FLuE9KP.jpg

WFsGOWF.jpg

N0qPgOq.jpg

ExPn3e0.jpg

jFTuAIJ.jpg

TrE9kFL.jpg

WTPqEIF.jpg

9s5PC7x.jpg

CwUFd92.jpg

KNLMm0S.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 4

Hallo again

The modelling stopped for a few days, due to cleaning the apartment. It is usual in Austria, to clean the apartment in detail before the high holydays. The workbench of course also.

Now, gap filling after the complete airframe assembly. With CA. Afterward sanding, up to polishing level. Then I took surfacer for 1200. This has to cure for 24 hours.

During sanding, I had time to grasp over this model. The external weapons from Hasegawa weapon kit are beyond my level. I will not use them. In opposition my the AGM-65, my wife did on her TA-4 from the IAF , the AGM-65 from Eduard brasin. THe AGM-65 from the weapon set look like a toy in comparison of that! Therefore, I will use probably the tanks provided in the kit. Also the inner wing pylon.

The ALQ-119 I will use. The central fuel tank too and not the cannon! The inner wing pylon may get the rails for AIM-9 and maybe the AIM-9. Or I leave the AGM-45 or not, I have to make up my mind.

LYXZXmU.jpg

l8rFqEd.jpg

H3aeYfP.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 3

Hallo again

First, I did sanding with a high grid to get my filler done. After the surface of the a/c and external tanks were finished, I continued on all little parts still left.

The gear, the probes, antennas and my second set of pylons. Since I am shaky to use my AGM-65.

The front gear: Here again the at the front wheel bay door we have the concentration of design flaws by ZM. First is the antenna: Please use a 0.5mm drill and not a 0.8mm. This is pure nonsense. The second spot are the landing lights. You have, whatever you do a big gap on the outline. The clear part is simply too small. After you fill it with CA, you lose all detail there! At my C version, I thought that I am not working with concentration, but not at all. The head up display: Here the clear part is also too small and you may have a big problem to fix it. All the little lights have the same problem. The dimensions are such that it is a gross design error. It is simple a pity, that all high visible parts are like at an short run kit, so I feel actually cheated. Maybe someone else has a different experience.

Tomorrow I start the paint job for all the little parts.

MiWb6B2.jpg

6yIXo1W.jpg

Nm42G52.jpg

zKpgaJA.jpg

Happy modelling  

• Like 2

Hallo again

Now I continued as I intended. All my small parts are sprayed. Painting by brush, oil color, and the foil at the hydraulics are to do. The glasses, here I used again NewWare masks for the seal. The tires I got in a better shape, and here I used GX 113 clear flat varnish, which is better for tires. It is really very flat. The tanks are in my version in different greys. I prepared all the stores twice, and I will see what I use at the final state.

In my version I had to get the light strips attached according photos of my a/c. The metal of the tail. Here I use C 8 as a base. I never use Alclat as a base color, since C 8 from Mr. Hobby is much easier to handle. The surface, if you use jet exhaust or burnt iron or titan gold is always perfect.

Now the next days I will finish my small parts, put the front and middle glass on. So I hope to start the final paint job at Tuesday.

DnJgsly.jpg

pyFYFKE.jpg

tDXimcR.jpgyi23rpr.jpg

ZOV2TtG.jpg

RgGJImE.jpg

lbo3YHD.jpg

ROUgMOq.jpg

NKAHHgZ.jpg

Happy modelling 

• Like 2

Hallo again

All my small parts underwent little painting. Some I had to add the bare metal foil. I assembled some parts as the main wheel legs, and front wheel leg. The mirrors in the glasses too. At the almost completed model I added the 2 fixed glasses and sprayed the red light at the rudder. Anyway, the model is ready for spraying.

The missing etched fret arrived from Eduard. So I proceeded with the Brasin ejection seat. So I will have 3 sets of ejection seat ready, and I will take the best one!

gP65wwt.jpg

XW3iwKp.jpg

OBeIS5J.jpg

fWsDdoi.jpg

ufZ4dKT.jpg

Y6VCltI.jpg

JYpLXWv.jpg

kAJLgvi.jpg

Happy modelling 

Hallo again

The main paint job is done. Well, the pattern or camouflage was a very different one. The first time to do such a pattern. (C37 and C334 with clear gloss varnish) Anyway, I am satisfied with the result. Especially the seal of the front and side windows.

The moderate weathering and some painting of detail is to do.

In summery it looks all good.

m450zD4.jpg

vrt6sBo.jpg

8KgtkHk.jpg

szUsaVe.jpg

GUjhFcv.jpg

sO541xB.jpg

Happy modelling 

• Like 2

Hallo again

Since the model is finished, the last hurdle was the weathering. In my case, I used an old paint and a new thinner of oil. But I missed to shake the thinner properly, some of the starting points of my brush I could not remove entirely.

As you see, I changed the weapon configuration. I left out my AGM-45 and 65. Since my next model will get again a high quality external load, so the Hasegawa weapon set Maverick would have been a hurting contrast.

The completion went straightforward. One thing caused me real anger: ZM shows in many cases that pin and hole do not match. They are not affirmative with tolerances. Therefore, the hole is there, but you do not get in. In this matter, it is like a joke, that ZM offers special tools to get their parts ready for assembling, instead to get their design and tolerances ready for being assembled. Like tighten a horse from the tail.

The model is finished now. I will close this file. And start with my F-4E Kurnas from the IAF. The kit is from Hasegawa.

tiUtNv1.jpg

027BgmN.jpg

VRojw2T.jpg

3uEJm3r.jpg

wwrPtQ7.jpg

pLSE0Lv.jpg

N6hz2sM.jpg

2aXc8NB.jpg

FkMcPii.jpg

v77AShU.jpg

Happy modelling 

• Like 1