Mikro Mir 1/144 Argosy

zebra

I have four builds in need of a KUTA, might not get to them all in this GB but I'll start with this - the Mikro Mir 1/144 Argosy. I started this in the RAF centenary GB - original build thread is here - can't remember why I didn't get it finished, although I had builds in several GBs at once so I think I just ran out of time.

Here's where it was up to:

1/144 Argosy WIP

Basic subassemblies are done, when I paused the build I was working on the fit of the tail booms which required quite a lot of material to be removed. I got that done today - fit is far from perfect, there's a big step on the top on both sides, but getting a reasonably good alignment between the two was a lot easier than I thought it would be:

1/144 Argosy WIP

Since I photographed it I've filled the gaps and got to work with the sanding sticks. I've got a fit that I'm quite happy with, but added some more filler to blend it in a bit. I'll post another photo once I've smoothed the filler down.

• Like 8

Tail boom joints blended in easily enough. I've now added the outer nacelles, which needed a little fettling to fit but nothing serious, and need a bit of filler.

Argosy WIP

I'll be ready to start painting soon. Hopefully Xtradecal will get their sheet out soon!

• Like 9

Windscreen in, masked and primed. A few areas in need of a bit of a clean up, but not too bad.

Argosy WIP

The windscreen isn't a great fit, but I think it'll be ok. The kit includes vinyl masks for the windscreen, windows and the blue cheat line - but one too few for the windows (I've used a bit of masking fluid on the extra window) and, strangely, the windscreen mask is for a windscreen with 8 window panes, whilst the kit part has 7!

Thanks for looking

Z

• Like 9

Looks like it's starting better for you on this GB then :D I have several MikroMir kits built and they all need care in assembly but will come out OK in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing this one done, about time Cold War stuff got some attention.

A fair bit of nose weight needed?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Looks like it's starting better for you on this GB then :D I have several MikroMir kits built and they all need care in assembly but will come out OK in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing this one done, about time Cold War stuff got some attention.

A fair bit of nose weight needed?

Thanks @SleeperService. Can’t remember how much nose weight it needed, there’s some in there but I don’t think it’s very much, and it’s threatening to tip over. There’s a fairly chunky fuselage in front of the wing after all.

• Like 1

I've got some white and light aircraft grey paint on it now - the kit includes a vinyl mask for the blue chatline which was helpful. This is going to be the A&AEE's XN817, using the new Xtradecals which are on their way from Hannants, so it's going to need some red on the fins and wingtips as well. A couple of touch-ups on the light aircraft grey needed first.

Argosy WIP

I've got some white and light aircraft grey paint on it now - the kit includes a vinyl mask for the blue chatline which was helpful. This is going to be the A&AEE's XN817, using the new Xtradecals which are on their way from Hannants, so it's going to need some red on the fins and wingtips as well. A couple of touch-ups on the light aircraft grey needed first.

Argosy WIP

• Like 6

Really enjoying seeing this one come together.

Im feeling a bit guilty that I have a vacform 1/72 Blackburn Beverley in the stash, and seeing how well this is turning out makes me realise I should find an excuse to build it.

Looking forward to the next instalment 

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Thanks @nimrod54, @stevehnz and @JOCKNEY. Steve and John - I'd love to see your BEA and Safe Air Argosies. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of these kits built on BM - would have thought it would be a popular subject. OK it's short run, but apart from some fettling involved in attaching the booms to the wings it's pretty straightforward.

Pat, get that Beverley out and start building it! That will be an impressive model in 1/72. It would fit the 50s NATO vs Warpac GB next year.

Today's Argosy update: Painted a few bits of it red. Nose undercarriage has broken in the process, but it will be fixable. Hopefully the Xtradecals will turn up this week. Here it is:

Argosy WIP

cheers

Z

• Like 6

Decals arrived this week and I've got most of them on today. Still need to do the blue cheat lines - seemed best to get everything else on first since the cheat lines have to go around some of the other decals, so it should be easier to cut the cheat lines to size this way.

Argosy WIP

Thanks for looking

Z

• Like 6

On 12/6/2018 at 3:41 AM, JOCKNEY said:

I say, that looks the business ! 

:partytime:

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat!

Decals finished:

Argosy WIP

Slight stuff up with the A&AEE titles. Couldn't get them straight before they stuck fast. Ah well.

Undercarriage next - including sorting out the broken nose gear leg - after that I'm going to have to tackle the vortex generators around the top of the forward fuselage, which are supplied in the kit as individual PE parts. I can sense the carpet monster pricking up its ears and licking its lips at the mere mention of PE vortex generators!

• Like 4