Second Sino-Japanese War...1/48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I

Reini78

42 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great looking Gladiator, I agree with PaulJ I may be dead wrong but that fuselage roundel does not look like anything I would expect for that time.

It is slightly too big. And I suppose the white outside ring is only the space between roundel and band on the original.

Sadly no close up pic of the original.

Fellow Britmodeller Paul Bradley provided this scan out of a book. Don´t know of any other pics of K6130 on squadron level.

31202344157_4a138a3cb7_b.jpgGladiator72sqn by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 1

First rigging attempt didn´t turn out, monofil fishing line and CA glue didn´t become friends, lines got loose again. So my dad turned to elastic thread, but before that he had to drill once again through the holes to get rid of the CA remnants. Model won´t win a beauty contest but still looks ok.

44430670430_23fed644cc_b.jpgDSC_0012 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

46197029612_3665e94caa_b.jpgDSC_0013 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

46197028702_87ef52a3c7_b.jpgDSC_0014 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

45523926324_0010ebf361_b.jpgDSC_0015 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

started work with the (Roden) prop

44430668090_0a5ef695b8_b.jpgDSC_0016 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 4

Looks like your dad was having my problem. It is really annoying when you do a good job of the paint work and it gets messed up with CA. Glue when you are rigging. I found using Zap-A-Gap did the trick for me. But by that time I had damaged two good builds.

The model may not see a happy end....my dad had to do some airvrush work and therefore covered the fuselage decals with masking tape. Although the model was already sealed, when removing the tape, parts of the decals came off too..

He then tried to remove all decals with masking tape, but when you want them to come off, no chance. Sanding them off would leave a lot of scratches which you will definitely see afterwards doing a different silver scheme.

Before throwing away the model, he will try now to do the green Chinese scheme, depending on how much the original decals shine through....

45551535554_bf82948986_b.jpgDSC_0002 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

32403278118_fab2aa3d53_b.jpgDSC_0003 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Sad 2

This is what happened to my Do 217 at one point. It was very destressing because it was the second time I lost my decals on it and they were the ones Dave had kindly sent me. If your dad is annoyed about it tell him to put it aside for awhile and in the meantime look for a replacement set. Sounds like one of those models you need to that a break from, from time to time. My last three have been like that. In the end I got them done. The harder they fight me the more determined I get to see it through to the end.

I just finished off the Do 217's last bits that were missing on the photo shoot. I even had to make the pitot tube out of brass because it broke on me when I was trying to put it back on. It was a fight to the end. I hope your dad can see the Gladiator that way too. I for one would like to see it done.

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Wouldn't be my choice of scheme to be honest, but it is nice to see it progressing after your set back. 

Yes, kinda boring scheme, but the green paint covers all the tracks better than a silver paint.

Maybe my dad makes a new attempt on a shiny one in the future.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...