Wanna see some gliders? Part 1.-Blaniks

Promised to show my glider builds to Moa and anyone else who is interested. To start with (and possibly alphabetically ) here are pics of three different Blanik kits. Two are CMR and the other an injection kit from some years ago but not the more recent one from AZ or someone but could still be the same kit...(most likely)

OxWbAn.jpg

c0Vp6v.jpg

Nf6Gxo.jpg

shzWwe.jpg

hgeswO.jpg

Qg79lx.jpg

e29P4Z.jpg

YiDmtz.jpg

L9SiB2.jpg

ySK5ea.jpg

More to come.

• Like 16

Nice. I may have missed it, but what is the scale?

Nearly 47 years ago, my first ever flight in anything smaller than a non-commercial RPT airliner was in a venerable Blanik, which I then went on to train in. Winch launched too, so quite a first ride. Memory's a bit crowded now, but I think we used to get an average of about 900~1000ft QFE of a winch in the Blanik two up. Still in high school, working night fill in Woolworths' supermarket during the week to pay my gliding weekends way. At least it was a cheap launch method even then, and worked especially well for the circuit training phase and a heavier beast like a two up Blanik was on tow with tugs of the day, very likely to be an Auster. It would be some years more before ex-Ag Pawnees were to come into common use redeployed as glider tugs.   

Nice models! The Blanik is also dear to me because I also did my first Glieder start and later my first solo flight in the Blech-nik (as some people called it). The constant fear of hurting your right hand while trying to get the flaps out prior to landing...

Hi Paul,

don't gliders look nice? These Blaniks are outstanding

And they are so fun to fly!

Congrats!!!

JR

10 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

These are excellent! Nice to see something different.

It's a long shot but does anyone make 1/48 Sedburghs, Kirby Cadets, etc? 

There were these in 1/48th in resin by Heritage Aviation The Cadet was a nice kit but the Sedburgh needed a bit more work to make it good.  Not sure of the availability mow

• Like 1

I always liked the look of Blaniks. Although down here the poor things are no longer flyable after an AD grounded them* following a rather nasty (and fatal) crash some years ago.

*Unless some rather expensive mods were applied.

Edited by Gazontipede