De Havilland 112 Mk.1 Venom

Hi,

Who said that Swiss aircraft are always clean ??

Here is 1/48 Classic Airframes model to which I added the specific nose and auxiliary "FLUNT" tanks. Decals are from MC-one. The build was not too complicated but a lot of time and care was needed to make this model look okay.

For those of you who noticed that the airbrakes and flaps are not down, I will just say that the aircraft just landed and the pilot likes to have things tidy 🙂

Cheers,

Antoine

montage.jpg

A_ok_IMG_6233.jpg

A.JPG

A_ok_IMG_6132.JPG

A_ok_IMG_6196.JPG

• Like 46

What a great model - like it a lot. Do you have a WIP thread? Have one on the stash too and want to build it as Swiss machine too. And what colors did you use?

Cheers,

Michael from Switzerland

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your nice comments 😊

10 hours ago, Baldy said:

Beautiful job. Great painting! How did the kit build? I understand that the Venoms were far better than the earlier Vampires?

Thanks ! The kit is not too bad, well for a CA kit. The fit is generally good with maybe the exception of the cockpit tub that is a bit tricky to align correctly. There is also the ejection seat which is a tad too high and prevents the canopy from being closed. I noticed that too late when the seat was already trapped inside the tub and I had to trim the top. As with other short-run kits, a lot of detailing/re-building of thin parts is required - not nothing an average modeller can't tackle with a bit of time and motivation.

10 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

What a great model - like it a lot. Do you have a WIP thread? Have one on the stash too and want to build it as Swiss machine too. And what colors did you use?

Cheers,

Michael from Switzerland

Hi Michael,

I dont have any WIP post unfortunately. However, I took one single picture that will give you an idea of the work that needs to be done, especially for the resin nose (Michel Bérard nose and FLUNT). Surgery of the nose is a bit scary at first sight, but once you cut along the panel line it only requires bit of trimming here and there.

As for the colors, I used Tamiya XF-53 for the dark gray, but the green is completely empirical, anyway the colors on Swiss Venom were completely washed out and good reference pictures will be of great help.

Venom.jpg

Antoine

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, toniosky said:

Thank you everyone for your nice comments 😊

Thanks ! The kit is not too bad, well for a CA kit. The fit is generally good with maybe the exception of the cockpit tub that is a bit tricky to align correctly. There is also the ejection seat which is a tad too high and prevents the canopy from being closed. I noticed that too late when the seat was already trapped inside the tub and I had to trim the top. As with other short-run kits, a lot of detailing/re-building of thin parts is required - not nothing an average modeller can't tackle with a bit of time and motivation.

Hi Michael,

I dont have any WIP post unfortunately. However, I took one single picture that will give you an idea of the work that needs to be done, especially for the resin nose (Michel Bérard nose and FLUNT). Surgery of the nose is a bit scary at first sight, but once you cut along the panel line it only requires bit of trimming here and there.

As for the colors, I used Tamiya XF-53 for the dark gray, but the green is completely empirical, anyway the colors on Swiss Venom were completely washed out and good reference pictures will be of great help.

Venom.jpg

Antoine

Thanks Antoine. You seem to be lucky to have gotten a Pinocchio nose from Michel Berard. You don't have any left by chance? You are right - the Venoms were all looking a bit different over time with their washed out colors and field paintings. I got the CA kit of the Vampire Mk5 with the Pinocchio nose to make a Mk6. Maybe I can use it for the Venom.

Hi @WildeSau75,

I don't have any MB's conversion left, sadly. Like you, I have the  resin CA Vampire nose and I think it will suit the Venom kit quite well. Actually, during the build I hesitated  on using either the MB or CA nose. I think that the fit of both noses is roughly equivalent in term of work, but I found the shape of the MB nose more convincing.

I have a walk-around if you are interested: http://toniosky7.blogspot.com/2012/09/de-havilland-dh-112-venom-mk-i.html

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, toniosky said:

Hi @WildeSau75,

I don't have any MB's conversion left, sadly. Like you, I have the  resin CA Vampire nose and I think it will suit the Venom kit quite well. Actually, during the build I hesitated  on using either the MB or CA nose. I think that the fit of both noses is roughly equivalent in term of work, but I found the shape of the MB nose more convincing.

I have a walk-around if you are interested: http://toniosky7.blogspot.com/2012/09/de-havilland-dh-112-venom-mk-i.html

Thanks Toni. Luck you that you got an MB nose. He doesn't produce them anymore and they are not available - at least I didn't find one. Yeah guess to the Vampire Pinocchio nose will fit the Venom too. Hey, cool site you have there - nice walk around pics of the Venom. I just life 10 min from the Flieger- and Flab-Museum in Dübendorf and therefore saw their Venom FB4 a few times. Unfortunately it has the standard nose and comes in silver painting. So your walk around pics are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

PS: here a link to my try on the 1/72 Special Hobby Vampire which I build as Swiss air force J-1125 - the machine my uncle had his fatal accident in. Not an especially good build but it was fun and I will build another J-1125 as a little tribute to my uncle who I unfortunately never met.

Edited by WildeSau75
  • Like 1