Takom T-55A - how to select which options?

Graeme

I'm currently working on Takom's T-55A and I'm going to build the Croatian option (I know its not completely accurate, but hey), but there are three different options for the turret fittings especially - but the instructions give no indication of which is the correct set of fittimgs.

Can anyone shed any light on which parts I need to use?

(The painting instructions are so small, and done on colour, that they can't be used as any sort of guide either)

TIA

graeme

T-55's can be a nightmare. You need to ascertain who built the Croatian tanks, Russia, Czech's, East Germany or Poland. Once you've established that, it should become clearer as each country had subtle differences. I have the Blast set for the T-55 which contains the different hatches. Find out who built these tanks, and I can probably tell you which pieces you need to use.

HTH's.

John.

From memory, the JNA (Yugoslav army) had received batches of T-55s from several sources over the years and therefore offer a reasonable level of 'free choice'.

Photos of the original 'Marina' (the decal option in the box) show straight-edge sight and MG coamings either side of the main gun aperture and the standard Polish/Czech  long 'ZiP' stowage box on the turret side. There is no evidence of the square stowage box behind the commander's hatch being fitted (ie, don't follow the box art).

It is fitted with the plastic/lead anti-radiation protection around the crew hatches. No idea which engine deck layout it would have.

Regards,

John

Sometimes it is good to take a look at the armorama or ipmsusa reviews for the kits. Some tell you exactly which parts to choose from. For instance I have the am2b version which is only accurate for the NVA version although it has 3 more decal options. 

Yugoslavia received at least some Czech T-55s, which would need the Blast engine grille set.  Czech production stuck with the original T-55 build standard through to 1983, but I don't know if they followed any of the Russian model changes.  For example, the noticeable reinforced front roadwheel bearing was introduced with the T-55A.  Poland transitioned to the T-55A in 1964, a year after Russia.  The most noticeable external difference was the enlarged turret hatch coamings.  But it is often not realised that the whole tank was made 15cm/6" longer.

I believe the Polish-built tanks were - in this scale - pretty much indistinguishable from Russian.  There were several different production models of T-55/A from Russian factories.  Used T-55s supplied by Russia tended to be mixed bags of various year models.

It appears that most Czech tanks were built for export whereas most Polish tanks were kept for Warsaw Pact nations - which of course did not include Yugoslavia.  That might fit with them continuing to produce the older-specification T-55 without the CBRN upgrade.  With relations between Moscow and Belgrade being less than cordial it is perhaps less likely that Russian-built tanks would have been supplied.

T-55/A were not built with the DshK cupola MG until 1970 with the T-55AM  Whether the Czechs reintroduced it on later T-55s I do not know.  But Marina had an M2 Browning on a non-standard mount anyway.

So, a former-Yugolslav T-55A with the enlarged hatches must be Polish or Russian-built.  A T-55 with the smaller hatches could be any of Russian, Polish or Czech-buily but I think Czech is most likely.  A T-55 with the enlarged front hub might (and I stress might) be Czech, but wheels got replaced so the front hub is not a reliable identifier in service.  The engine deck is a very reliable indicator as only Czech-built tanks had the differently-shaped right rear grille.

Of course with the break-up of Former Yugoslavia, what went where to the various successor states, militias and factions is a complete minefield.  I think the only realistic option is to model a specific vehicle for which you can find sufficient photos.  "Marina" is one of the best-researched and most photographed.  Note that the kit decals have the colours reversed on the Croatian checkered shield.  The Star decal set has the correct markings.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:08 PM, Das Abteilung said:

Yugoslavia received at least some Czech T-55s, which would need the Blast engine grille set.  Czech production stuck with the original T-55 build standard through to 1983, but I don't know if they followed any of the Russian model changes.  For example, the noticeable reinforced front roadwheel bearing was introduced with the T-55A.  Poland transitioned to the T-55A in 1964, a year after Russia.  The most noticeable external difference was the enlarged turret hatch coamings.  But it is often not realised that the whole tank was made 15cm/6" longer.

I believe the Polish-built tanks were - in this scale - pretty much indistinguishable from Russian.  There were several different production models of T-55/A from Russian factories.  Used T-55s supplied by Russia tended to be mixed bags of various year models.

It appears that most Czech tanks were built for export whereas most Polish tanks were kept for Warsaw Pact nations - which of course did not include Yugoslavia.  That might fit with them continuing to produce the older-specification T-55 without the CBRN upgrade.  With relations between Moscow and Belgrade being less than cordial it is perhaps less likely that Russian-built tanks would have been supplied.

T-55/A were not built with the DshK cupola MG until 1970 with the T-55AM  Whether the Czechs reintroduced it on later T-55s I do not know.  But Marina had an M2 Browning on a non-standard mount anyway.

So, a former-Yugolslav T-55A with the enlarged hatches must be Polish or Russian-built.  A T-55 with the smaller hatches could be any of Russian, Polish or Czech-buily but I think Czech is most likely.  A T-55 with the enlarged front hub might (and I stress might) be Czech, but wheels got replaced so the front hub is not a reliable identifier in service.  The engine deck is a very reliable indicator as only Czech-built tanks had the differently-shaped right rear grille.

Of course with the break-up of Former Yugoslavia, what went where to the various successor states, militias and factions is a complete minefield.  I think the only realistic option is to model a specific vehicle for which you can find sufficient photos.  "Marina" is one of the best-researched and most photographed.  Note that the kit decals have the colours reversed on the Croatian checkered shield.  The Star decal set has the correct markings.

OK, as I thought, the options could be endless 😒

One other question - I have found a picture on Armorama (unfortunately I can't seem to insert a link to it) of what I believe is Marina taken from the rear, and it shows the fuel tank brackets are 'folded' sideways against the rear hull plate...do they fold/hinge sideways, or are they simply damaged and have been forced sideways after contact with something?

The fuel barrel brackets are rigid.  Therefore squashed in your photo.  Suggests a sideswipe impact while turning.

Configurations are not that endless.  Enlarged turret hatches means standard engine deck.  Small hatches most likely modified Czech deck.  You're OK with enlarged front hubs all round as the smaller ones wore out quickly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve just got the same boxing and am going to do a machine that was nearby when I was out there. Are there any pitfalls to be aware of for the kit, not having built a clanking  thing before it’s a new unknown for me ;)