Potez 62 airliner, Heller 1/72nd Potez 52 Conversion/Scratch

A build from 4 years ago:

The conversion of the veteran Heller Potez 54 into a Potez 62 airliner is not unknown to the modeling universe. It is not an easy conversion, and implies serious modifications of the fuselage and, depending on the specific machine chosen, new engines and engine nacelles and other details. The airliner will of course necessitate its new cockpit and a cabin interior, with its many seats and other details, a new set of decals will have to be produced and some extensive research would be in order if you wish to obtain a reasonably accurate reproduction.

Some modelers have chosen to modify the Heller fuselage, while others took advantage of the Dujin resin conversion fuselage. This item is not easy to get, but I believe is not impossible to grab one if you persist. I passed on it for several reasons: price, material (resin) and the fact that not having the opportunity of handling one directly I could not evaluate its accuracy and level of detail.

This conversion has been tempting me for a while, but my interest picked up in discovering that Argentina, the country where I was born, had two Air France machines operating under French registration on the Buenos Aires / Santiago de Chile route, one of which was later acquired by the Argentinean government and re-registered LV-SEC (F-ANQQ). F-ANQQ was a converted 62.0, therefore had no sweptback as the ulterior 62.1 series machines.

At around the same time two Dewoitine 333 and two 338s were also acquired, but very unfortunately they were passed to the military and did not go into civil operation, pity, because I would have loved to build models of them too.

The Potez 62 LV-SEC operated only once, in half a flight. That's correct. According to the Pavlovcic article it flew on an official mission to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with some politicians and predictable entourage, only to crash on take-off on the attempted flight back, fortunately with non-fatal injuries but leaving the machine converted in a pile of trash.  A not uncommon occurrence regarding many politicians: going half the way, leaving everything trashed, and escape unscathed.

The same article features a photo (apparently the only known) of LV-SEC's tail sticking out of the water, not a pretty -or memorable- sight.

As I started to gather, read, and compare sources, references and photos, it became obvious, as always, that you can not really take all you read as uncontroverted truth. The Pavlovcic article, otherwise a good effort that deserves praise and has many merits, seems to contain nevertheless a few inaccuracies, the most potentially misleading stating that the engine on the French machine that will become the Argentinean machine has its engines changed from inline (Hispano Suiza 12 Xrs) to radial (Gnome Rhone 14 Kirs Mistral Major) , which I believe is not correct. It seems it is all the way around: having started as a Potez 62.0 it had the radials, but when upgraded to 62.1 received the inlines. Surprisingly enough, in the very same article there are two photos of both Air France Potez with inline engines. Furthermore, he mentions about the Argentinean machine that had a "big radiator in the lower-front part of the nacelles", an undeniable feature of the inline Hispano Suiza, and photos of the Andes crossing taken from the Potez and partially showing the engine show an Hispano Suiza inline front, so I am not sure where this confusion roots. This is important, because being an inline engine, you could use the kit's nacelles, although not without some modifications, as photos show. This mods will be dealt with later on. If you are "un hermano de la Banda Oriental" (that is Uruguayan), being your Potez CX-ADH a 62.1 (ex- F-ANQN), it should include the modification of a 2 degrees sweptback as this one was a 62.1 from factory, therefore it did have the 2 degrees sweptback of the 62.1 series machines.

An article by John Stroud on Aeroplane Monthly of May 1986 in his "Wings of Peace" series states that the specific machines that operated in Argentina had five seats. This is understandable if you contemplate that they had to cross the Andes to Chile, reaching an altitude of 5.500 meters (source: article on the Potez crossing the Andes on Revue Hispano Suiza). The same source also states that the two machines had Hispano Suiza X engines, and gives the second machine as F-ANQQ, instead of QO as the Pavlovcic article. In that regard the Pavlovcic article in Lima Victor is not correct. Unfortunately for Pavlovcic (and this mean absolutely no disrespect and does not detract from the merit of the overall effort) all references state F-ANQQ, including the Dumollard book and the registers:
http://www.ab-ix.co.uk/f-aaaa.pdf
Those original five seats were nevertheless surely increased in number as the machine passed to Argentinean hands, as the count for the infamous flight to Brazil shows: pilot, co-pilot, mechanic, radioman, mechanic assistant (five crew members) and eight passengers (13 total).

I started by making the fuselage sides. One quick look at the kit ones made me realize that I would save a lot of time if I just scratched the fuselage instead of trying to cut, splice, patch, fill, putty, sand, smooth out, etc. the kit parts. My wife suggested I could save even more time by not building the plane, but, although her logic is undeniable, I suspect a catch there (as in everything she says in that particularly sweet tone of voice) so I did not follow her advise. 

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

35.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

48.JPG

52.JPG

54.JPG

55.JPG

58.JPG

64.JPG

66.JPG

73.JPG

76.JPG

78.JPG

88.JPG

92.JPG

94.JPG

97.JPG

99.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

117.JPG

119.JPG

125.JPG

137.JPG

138.JPG

141.JPG

142.JPG

146.JPG

149.JPG

151.JPG

154.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

This is amazing, your attention to detail is second to none!

I love the interior and just hope it's still visible behind the curtains. All airliners should have curtains!

Awesome modelling, thanks for showing us.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

This is amazing, your attention to detail is second to none!

I love the interior and just hope it's still visible behind the curtains. All airliners should have curtains!

Awesome modelling, thanks for showing us.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, you are very kind.

It's all about having fun.

Cheers

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

Wow! Another stunner there, Moa.

I, too, have the Dumollard book, but as I can't read French, a lot of the information is lost to me. 

Hi Chris

Some scanners are able to "read" the documents they copy and convert them to text files. It's called OCR. Then you can use any online translator.

It will not be pretty, but in most cases will be very helpful.

Pépe Le Pew

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't even remember why I bought it. It's not like I just came upon it in a book store. I ordered it from Midland Counties a number of years ago.

Ah, the joys of old age!

Chris

• Haha 1

Moa,

There are no words in my vocabulary that can describe what you have done with this kit; unbelievable workmanship and attention to detail, which seems to be the norm for everything I have seen that you have built and shared with the rest of us. The historical background and research is always comprehensive and very interesting to me, and I'm not a big fan of the era or type of aircraft you choose to model, but I do recognize and  acknowledge modeling excellence when I see it. That being said....where are the ashtrays in the seat armrests and the toilet tissue holder and period magazines in the loo? Ha!

Mike

P.S. You better hide that F2G racer before @Corsairfoxfouruncle sees it!

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

OMG! I'm not worthy!

Mike

For what it's worth, we Texans tear out the magazine articles  we really like and leave the rest of the magazines for others- we are a considerate population, after all!

Mike

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...