Framed Airfix 1/72nd Hurricane in 607 Sqdn Markings

607 "County of Durham" Squadron flew for a time from RAF Usworth, now the Nissan car factory. It is only 3 miles from my door as the crow ( or any other bird ) flies. This was built for a friend and is displayed in a 20 x 16 inch oak effect frame with the instructions forming the backdrop for the parts. A fake box art was made to match the 607 Squadron after market decals.

hurri_2018_002.jpg

hurri_2018_003.jpg

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

My first thought; 'What! No seams, no filler, no sanding, no waiting for the paint to go on before you spot the shrink mark you missed. That's cheating!' And then I thought about it some more; 'Actually, that's really bl**dy clever. I like it. A lot! And the effort involved painting the small parts...' Well done. I'd rather like one of those on my wall. But it would have to be a 1/24 Sptifire MkI!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

My first thought; 'What! No seams, no filler, no sanding, no waiting for the paint to go on before you spot the shrink mark you missed. That's cheating!' And then I thought about it some more; 'Actually, that's really bl**dy clever. I like it. A lot! And the effort involved painting the small parts...' Well done. I'd rather like one of those on my wall. But it would have to be a 1/24 Sptifire MkI!!

What he says ^ except I'd go for Tamiya's 32nd scale F-16CJ (lots of available wall space here).

Love the originality of the whole idea and I can see it being replicated by many in future.

Kev

13 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Thanks. I know a few other people have painted a model and left it on the sprue before, but I'm possibly the first to display it in a frame with the box art and instructions in a co-ordinated display.

Nicely done - certainly seen a couple displayed on sprue before (might even have been on here that someone had a pair with the Spitfire and 109 as a diptych?) but not with the doctored box art. 

Very nice.  Keeping the paint clear of all the sprues must take a fair bit of effort!  This would also be a way to solve the Airfix P-51 control column removal issue.

I seem to recall an exhibition at the Science Museum (late 80s / early 90s) where they displayed a late mark Spitfire on the wall as if it was a model kit?

Cheers

Will

PS a quick Google shows me that exhibition was in 2005!

19 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Very nice.  Keeping the paint clear of all the sprues must take a fair bit of effort!  ......

I prime the sprues grey first, then after painting all the model parts, use a small brush to touch up the sprues grey again where needed.

• Like 2

Brilliant idea. I think A LOT of people will borrow this idea and build similar picture frames for their modelling rooms! I don't expect the wives to like this in the bedrooms... 👍Thanks for Sharing!

I drilled the corner of the sprues and glued in some 2mm studding. This was then used to bolt the sprues to the backboard. If needed, I use brass tube as spacers to support the corners evenly. Under the wings and fuselage, I've also got some balsa blocks glued on which are then glued to the backboard. I just use the studding on the corners where there is little else to support it.

I like this a lot. A very innovative idea that looks the business. Last time I saw anything this good was the Airfix Lightning built to look like the exploded diagram on the old instruction sheet. Genius!

Steve