Revell Aqua Matt White... isn't

Vlad

I tried the Revell Aqua range recently and was very impressed with how it brushes, so I started replacing my base colours (Humbrol acrylic) as they ran out. Black and white were quick to go, as the Humbrol paints tend to dry with a horrible grainy finish.

So I got my new pot of Revell Aqua 05 Matt White and straight away went to do some touch-ups on an F-4J that was initially base coated in Halfords White Primer. The contrast was jarring! In the pot it doesn't look too bad, but on the model it just... isn't white! It's a creamy off-white. Humbrol has horrible texture but at least it looks pure white!

Is this normal? Does Revell do a proper brilliant white in their Aqua range?

• Like 1

Never used their white. I have a few Aquas used for painting small details (and I know they can be annoying to mix if they've been sitting for a while), but not white, yellow, red or the rest of the very difficult colors. When it comes to those I'd rather spend half an hour masking and then using the airbrush. But if it's a proper white you want try the Mr. Color stuff. They have several types of white in their range. 

I would actually not mind Revell white being a tiny bit "off-white" at all... but like you I spray difficult colours, white included. Halfords white primer is my go to for that, so I need a white that I can use for touch-ups, therefore it has to match the brightness.

I'll try it again with better stirring when I get a chance.

Yepp, I've used revell aqua white. It's indeed NOT white-white. its a slightly yellow-white. It is quite un-noticeable.... but when I compared it to a brilliant white like 'Vallejo White'. Then I noticed... THAT is white!

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think you'll find most whites are different from different makers. Only way to know that what you touch up will match is to use the same white you used in the first place. It's like owning a white BMW and using a random Audi white to touch it up, it isn't going to match...