Fieseler Storch Ambulance Markings - Answer

Ed Russell

Looking for information on suitable camouflage and codes for a Fi156 Ambulance. This is to assist with a model and in the restoration of a real one.

Given it has some history contained in the book, a fuller version of this cover photo would be very nice........

45626054262_9386a7fc24_b.jpg

but any example where there is identification of the unit, the presence of a set of codes and at least an indication of the camouflage would be very helpful.

Thanks but that tracked landing gear is a bridge too far in the model and a mighty chasm in the real one. Looking at the picture in that article I can't see any code at all. ??+XT on the book cover seems to have a demarcation forward of the badge under the cockpit window.

I had an answer on Hyperscale which not only supplies an example but led to further research on my part - I didn't realise I owned the best book on the subject. The Classic Publication on Luftwaffe Support Units has a chapter on ambulance aircraft. 

Max Abt produced a set of transfers for a Storch back in the 60s, one of which was an ambulance.   I was making the Airfix kit but leaving home to start work meant the kit never got finished and was later lost.  I may still have the transfers if you want at least the information from them?

• Like 1