Eduard (Kinetic) Top Falcon - NSAWC Viper 1/48

This is the Eduard Top Falcon F-16. As many of you will know it's Kinetic plastic and Eduard resin and etch. I used probably half of the extras because some of the resin bits were more effort in terms of fit. There are a few inaccuracies with the kit, most of which I didn't address.. It's one of those kits you wonder why you started in the first place and I wanted it done! Paint is my own mix as the colour call out was incorrect in my opinion. All in all I'm happy with the way it turned out. Onto the pictures then..

Please note, the canopy is not permanently attached yet. The rear canopy section is crazed as per my reference pics (done by spraying Tamiys Flat Clear XF-86 on the inside). I was going for a patchy, grimey look as is characteristic of these aircraft.

xV8Rjn.jpg

xV81ts.jpg

xV8EnY.jpg

xV8O9A.jpg

xV86bG.jpg

xV8C6z.jpg

xV8QHc.jpg

xV8XIW.jpg

xV8nwj.jpg

xV8tTJ.jpg

xV8492.jpg

Thanks for looking. Questions and constructive comments welcome!

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 39

41 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

Great Falcon Avgas!  I really like how you have captured the worn and weathered look of the original.

Thank you. It's why I enjoy building these NSAWC aircraft. The state of them means there is always something new to try in terms of painting and weathering!

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

great outcome!

probably not so nice kit... thanks for the first to plane shots.... shows the strange nose shape well,...

yeah that's what was 'odd' about the kit, I couldn't place it until you mentioned it.  Some of the panel lines look different too, but don't take this as a criticism of your work or model, Avgas. It looks fantastic so well done!

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1

Just now, Retired Bob said:

Nice work Avgas.

I have one of these to build, I will probably bang it out as practice for a Tamiya viper.

Bob

Be interested to see how they compare.  The two Tamiya Vipers I've built this year (one finished, second almost...) are they only Tamiya kits I've ever built and they've turned me into a snob. They're so reliable that I end up dismissing other great kits because I know I'm safe with Tamiya.

29 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Be interested to see how they compare.  The two Tamiya Vipers I've built this year (one finished, second almost...) are they only Tamiya kits I've ever built and they've turned me into a snob. They're so reliable that I end up dismissing other great kits because I know I'm safe with Tamiya.

It's true about Tamiya, I just wish they would not put ejector pin sinkholes in visible places, eg Tamiya Me 262 undercarriage doors, ejector pin marks on the detailed inside but Trumpeter Me 262 (some say a Tamiya copy) manages to avoid doing the same?

Bob

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It's true about Tamiya, I just wish they would not put ejector pin sinkholes in visible places, eg Tamiya Me 262 undercarriage doors, ejector pin marks on the detailed inside but Trumpeter Me 262 (some say a Tamiya copy) manages to avoid doing the same?

Bob

Yes you're right there, they're terrible for it, especially in LG bays and doors etc. Even wheels and missile have them

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

great outcome!

probably not so nice kit... thanks for the first to plane shots.... shows the strange nose shape well,...

I think it looks better than it used to after Kinetic tried correcting it but yea, from one or two angles it looks a bit droopy, like it's sat in the sun and melted. Compared to the Hasegawa kit, I think it looks mostly acceptable:

xfE4IN.jpg

xfEwwm.jpg

(Hasegawa on the left)

How it compares to the Tamiya kit I do not know because I don't have any in the stash yet. I'm going to stay out the tamiya discussion above for that very reason but I hope to be in a position to add my 2 pennies worth soon!

Gratuitous shots of the flight line so far. 3 Hasegawas and 1 kinetic. I plan to add a few more of the latest aggressors to the collection - hopefully Tamiya this time!

xfEzT8.jpg

xfE8jq.jpg

Thanks again.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, planehazza said:

Oh wow, that is one nice Aggressor collection.  I hope to have my USAF Arctic Splinter completed this month...

That's a lovely scheme. I have plans for the blue/grey, the green/brown and the arctic splinters. Please post pics when it's done!

50 minutes ago, Avgas said:

That's a lovely scheme. I have plans for the blue/grey, the green/brown and the arctic splinters. Please post pics when it's done!

Will do, I hope to have it done this month.  I've hit a slow bit where it's a multitude of little bits all needing glossing, or painting, or this or that. I need to just step back, reorganise and make a plan otherwise I'll never get it done...

15 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent job on your latest F-16, really good job on the camouflage and weathering, and they look so much better than the usual grey.

Have to agree, always liked the aggressor schemes, did you DiY the masking on the blue scheme, or is there a masking set available?  Either way very nice. 😍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, planehazza said:

Will do, I hope to have it done this month.  I've hit a slow bit where it's a multitude of little bits all needing glossing, or painting, or this or that. I need to just step back, reorganise and make a plan otherwise I'll never get it done...

That sounds all too familiar... I've mastered turning 10 minute jobs into 10 days. I find near the end of a build I'm not doing much more than moving things around 😐

Usually takes determined (ie rushed, because I don't like the fiddly bits) sit down and just do it session to get it done, like I did with this one..

59 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Have to agree, always liked the aggressor schemes, did you DiY the masking on the blue scheme, or is there a masking set available?  Either way very nice. 😍

Thanks Bob, it's a DiY job. Lotsa Tamiya tape!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Avgas said:

That sounds all too familiar... I've mastered turning 10 minute jobs into 10 days. I find near the end of a build I'm not doing much more than moving things around 😐

Usually takes determined (ie rushed, because I don't like the fiddly bits) sit down and just do it session to get it done, like I did with this one..

Thanks Bob, it's a DiY job. Lotsa Tamiya tape!

Yup that's me.  I've just sat and glossed a few things, and whilst there's probably more I could have done before doing it, it is a relief to get that layer down.  Tommorow, I can start the fun parts; streaks and other weathering :)It also now means that I can decal the stores and get those completed.

12 hours ago, planehazza said:

Yup that's me.  I've just sat and glossed a few things, and whilst there's probably more I could have done before doing it, it is a relief to get that layer down.  Tommorow, I can start the fun parts; streaks and other weathering :)It also now means that I can decal the stores and get those completed.

Excellent, looking forward to seeing it!