Meteor FR.9

What a gorgeous Meatbox,......... I do like this scheme worn by some of the FR.9`s along with Canberra`s, Vampire`s and Hornet`s! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Nice build.  Working on mine at the moment but had an HORRENDOUS job getting the nose together around the camera try assembly.  I tried attached it one side at a time (rather then as an assembled unit as suggested in the instructions) & just as well I did as I cannot see how it would go on otherwise.  Seemed to me that the plastic was just too thick!  Any issues for you here?

On 2 November 2018 at 6:53 PM, Graham T said:

Nice build.  Working on mine at the moment but had an HORRENDOUS job getting the nose together around the camera try assembly.  I tried attached it one side at a time (rather then as an assembled unit as suggested in the instructions) & just as well I did as I cannot see how it would go on otherwise.  Seemed to me that the plastic was just too thick!  Any issues for you here?

Thanks...the nose joint was terrible. The windows didn't sit flush, there was a gap around them, the nose didn't sit against the fuselage bulkhead and the cross section where it joined was different. Took a LOT of filling, sanding and rescribing to get it anywhere near. Apparently it's the same on the Mk.8 nose, too. Pity, as the rest of it fits beautifully.

Thanks to everyone else who commented - cheers!

Dean

48 minutes ago, Deanflyer said:

Thanks...the nose joint was terrible. The windows didn't sit flush, there was a gap around them, the nose didn't sit against the fuselage bulkhead and the cross section where it joined was different. Took a LOT of filling, sanding and rescribing to get it anywhere near. Apparently it's the same on the Mk.8 nose, too. Pity, as the rest of it fits beautifully.

Dean

Glad it wasn't me then!  I REALLY wish that Airfix (& perhaps other manufacturers) wouldn't use windows that fit from the INSIDE.  In cases like this there is a real danger of pushing them inside during all the fettling, clamping & taping required to get the parts together.  Plus, they could be omitted until after painting.  Win win!  As it is I may actually push them in deliberately & then use Crystal Clear to remake them.  They're badly fogged anyway with residue from sanding that is impossible to remove.

2 hours ago, Deanflyer said:

Dean

Thanks for that; I was beginning to think it was my fault, as usual.  The nose of my first F. Mk. 8 was a pretty poor fit but the second somewhat less so.