BAe Hawk T.1, XX283/Z, no. 151 sqn, RAF Chivenor, 1989

Dawn on the Chivenor apron ...

IMG42581541099207.jpg

IMG42641541099205.jpg

Hawk ready for the day's flying with 2 TWU.

IMG4267-661541099202.jpg

IMG42661541099205.jpg

IMG42591541099207.jpg

IMG42621541099210.jpg

IMG42571541099208.jpg

IMG42631541099205.jpg

IMG42691541099204.jpg

IMG42681541099201.jpg

IMG42651541099203.jpg

The kit took quite a lot of work to fill and sand, with the fuselage consisting of three separate blocks and not joining particularly well. There were also gaps around the intakes and wing roots, but I did my best to fill these. 

Despite this, the overall shape seems nice, if a little basic. Being an ebay special as usual this one had no decals, so I used the Xtradecal set. I also used the gun pod from the Airfix Hawk as I'll be doing that as either a Red Arrow or 4 FTS, so it won't be needed. The cockpit is very basic too, and having no decals I decided to hand paint the instrument panels, plus I added a few straps to the bang seats.

XX283 was used as the main aircraft for the 1989 season Hawk display, flown by Flt Lt Simon Meade. 

As always, any comments and advice always welcome. 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks. I'd like to try that kind of thing but I'm not really sure how to, and worry about ruining a model. What's the technique/liquid you use?

There are quite a few options and I'm not at all an expert myself. I tend to use some thinned enamel and use a small pointed brush tip to allow the thinned paint to flow into the lines. Airfix do a range of washes and they do videos on YouTube on how to use them which are quite good...

• Like 1

good job all round and like others have said ,a panel wash and a little varnish will really make it pop. hope you dont mind me pointing out ,but i think your trobles with the fit of the intakes is because you may have fitted them on upside down/wrong side? 

i always check with reference photos when building airfix,some of their instructions are a bit vague to say the least!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, buccymad said:

good job all round and like others have said ,a panel wash and a little varnish will really make it pop. hope you dont mind me pointing out ,but i think your trobles with the fit of the intakes is because you may have fitted them on upside down/wrong side? 

i always check with reference photos when building airfix,some of their instructions are a bit vague to say the least!

It's quite possible! The intakes were such a bad fit on either side I remember trying them on opposite sides and plumping for the easier of the two fits. It was hard to tell from photos as in some it looks like the greater curve is up, while others it looks down. Hopefully not too noticeabl, though I may see if I can change them, but after all the filing and sanding it may well not be worth it now.

This was a kit from Premiere, who appear to be Taiwanese, I've never heard of them before. Luckily I also have an Airfix Hawk so I'll see how that goes together.

• Like 1

Lord Riot I don’t think your Hawk needs any form of panel line emphasis; it’s fine as it is  in that respect.  Some grot from vents and behind jacks and hinges (oil , hot gas and grease sources) might be appropriate but the rest is very quite acceptable.  IF you opt for any form of wash less is more: avoid stark and contrasting shades or tones, go for a heavily diluted dark grey.  There are plenty of Hawk photos on the interwebnet to inspire you.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 19:39, bar side said:

Lovely grey green selection there.  The Hawk does look the part.  I have had a bit of a thing for grey green over the years, but jealous of your bucc and jag.  These are my efforts

XhU1As-VX-tZAMUENAOyFfh8GiFqUKFzP0rGZpdw

These look awesome, are they 1/48 or 1/72?

23 hours ago, stever219 said:

Lord Riot I don’t think your Hawk needs any form of panel line emphasis; it’s fine as it is  in that respect.  Some grot from vents and behind jacks and hinges (oil , hot gas and grease sources) might be appropriate but the rest is very quite acceptable.  IF you opt for any form of wash less is more: avoid stark and contrasting shades or tones, go for a heavily diluted dark grey.  There are plenty of Hawk photos on the interwebnet to inspire you.

Thanks Steve, and that's a good tip on the wash, I might try that on the next one. 

2 hours ago, gazza l said:

Another grey/green beauty Lord Riot. What's next on the RAF to do list? I think you have covered most subject now!

gazza l 

Cheers Gazza. There's a few to do yet; of 1/48 I think it'll be the Airfix Harrier GR.3, in wraparound green/grey, 233 OCU. Then there's a Canberra, but I need 100 sqn decals, a Tornado, (but I can't find any TWCU decals), and Lightning, which I might do in pale grey instead of camo (controversial!). Still can't find a Phantom FGR2 for a sensible price so it might have do be an F-4J instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Cheers Gazza. There's a few to do yet; of 1/48 I think it'll be the Airfix Harrier GR.3, in wraparound green/grey, 233 OCU. Then there's a Canberra, but I need 100 sqn decals, a Tornado, (but I can't find any TWCU decals), and Lightning, which I might do in pale grey instead of camo (controversial!). Still can't find a Phantom FGR2 for a sensible price so it might have do be an F-4J instead.

Don't forget the new Airfix Hunter.😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gazza l said:

Don't forget the new Airfix Hunter.😉

I've got the Italeri Hunter, an ebay bargain, but I'll probably make that as a 50's/60's one to go with the Meteor, Javelin, Canberra and Lightning F.1, so I may need another Hunter!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I think you have two options there. First is the aftermarket option of Xtradecal X011-48 which includes TWCU 45(R) squadron and the second option (and perhaps cheaper) is to ask if anyone has not used the TWCU decals that come in the HobbyBoss Tornado IDS (the one with the Bavarian tailed Luftwaffe Tornado on the box). I guess you could even just look out for that kit as you'd get the decals included with a kit! I know it's not heralded as the best Tornado kit available, but I've seen numerous finished builds on line and they all look both brilliant and like Tornados to me.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I've got the Italeri Hunter, an ebay bargain, but I'll probably make that as a 50's/60's one to go with the Meteor, Javelin, Canberra and Lightning F.1, so I may need another Hunter!

I'm guessing you got the Airfix 1/48 Harrier GR.3 on flee bay last week then that you kindly pointed me in the direction of?

If so, you pipped my by 50p!! haha!

Your Hawk is looking great there too chap!

23 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I'm guessing you got the Airfix 1/48 Harrier GR.3 on flee bay last week then that you kindly pointed me in the direction of?

If so, you pipped my by 50p!! haha!

Your Hawk is looking great there too chap!

Hi Mikey, no it wasn't me - I already have the Airfix Harrier. I know how you feel though, I've been gazzumped two or three times with just seconds to go! Frustrating isn't it. Harriers seem to pop up quite regularly though, so keep checking.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 17:26, Filler said:

I think you have two options there. First is the aftermarket option of Xtradecal X011-48 which includes TWCU 45(R) squadron and the second option (and perhaps cheaper) is to ask if anyone has not used the TWCU decals that come in the HobbyBoss Tornado IDS (the one with the Bavarian tailed Luftwaffe Tornado on the box). I guess you could even just look out for that kit as you'd get the decals included with a kit! I know it's not heralded as the best Tornado kit available, but I've seen numerous finished builds on line and they all look both brilliant and like Tornados to me.

Thanks Filler - I'll look out for that kit then, hopefully I might find one for less than the Xtradecals!

You'll be lucky to find the HobbyBoss kit for anything like that price. It's weird as it is so maligned in reviews and Tornado kit discussion threads, yet you never see them sell for less than over £30. I guess that might be due to the RRP being around £45. Mind you, the same can be said for the Airfix Tornados; they're written off as rubbish but can still command a good price more often than not. The Xtradecal sheet will probably cost you around 6 to 8 pounds if you see one (I think it's an OOP sheet).

Maybe the HobbyBoss kit isn't a bad choice in this case as you get the decals (including stencils) you want in the box (a lot newer (and usable?) than the Xtradecal sheet too) and you get the kit. Buying an Airfix or Revell Tornado plus the aftermarket decals will probably cost the same or more. I suppose that the Italeri kit does come up a bit cheaper on eBay than the others, but you'll probably want the Black Panthers boxing if you want to do a wraparound Tornado as I think that's the only boxing with RAF green and grey scheme stencils. But even then, you'll end up with the RAFG bilingual markings that won't have been on the TWCU aircraft as the kit contains a 9 squadron aircraft from Bruggen. That might be easy to remedy with a pair of scissors though.

Sorry to ramble, confuse and take your RFI thread off onto another subject.

Edited by Filler
  • Like 1

Thanks Filler. I currently have the old box Airfix GR.1, I think the kit has 16 sqn markings, but I fancy doing a UK-based one that I remember seeing flying around East Anglia in the late 80s. I almost never saw any RAFG ones though I'm sure they visited Marham & Honington.

I reckon I must have done well as she was an ebay bargain of £16! Might be worth splashing out on the Xtradecal set ...