Revell 1/72 Hawker Siddeley Hawk T.1 XX164 CFS

Thank you all again for your comments. A few of you have praised the cockpit and asked how I did it. The truth is, its mainly just as it comes in the kit, embellished with plasticard for the cockpit walls (not really visible in the photos). I dry brushed a lightened version of the base colour on the edges and any surface detail. The instrument panel is just the kit decals which I think are a lot more detailed than Airfix include in some of there 1/72 kits. With the added benefit of Revell's panels having raised and recessed detail instead of just being flat. If I remember correctly I gave the cockpit an enamel wash (Ammo by Mig Panel line wash), then gave it a matt coat. The dials on the instrument panels were given a drop of Microscale Krystal Klear to give them a glass effect. The kit actually has really good detail it just needs the red plastic covered over and the flash removed to notice it.

I chose this scheme as I think it makes the aircraft look completely different to the gloss black Hawk's of today. It doesn't seem as big of a leap from the Jet Provosts and Gnats that came before.

Mark. 

• Like 1

Excellent work!!! 

Beautiful painting, very sharp and clear edge between white and red. Great weathering, light and spot on, just on my taste. It is definitely beyond the scale, you have just to sharp the wing trailing edges and it can be taken for 1/32. The wheels also need some wight. You rework the wing lights - great job! Everything else is just perfect!!! 

What about the explosive cord on the cockpit glass, how do you made it?

Edited by Stefanoff

1 hour ago, Stefanoff said:

Excellent work!!! 

Beautiful painting, very sharp and clear edge between white and red. Great weathering, light and spot on, just on my taste. It is definitely beyond the scale, you have just to sharp the wing trailing edges and it can be taken for 1/32. The wheels also need some wight. You rework the wing lights - great job! Everything else is just perfect!!! 

What about the explosive cord on the cockpit glass, how do you made it?

I try to keep the weathering light because I'm not really confident what to do at that stage of the build, so I don't try anything too difficult or technical. Normally just a pin wash, a little bit of chipping and then maybe some pastel dust or Tamiya weathering set. to finish. I do tend to pre-shade then after the base colour add some tonal variation using a lightened mix of the same colour.

The wing lights are as they come in the kit, just painted silver with Tamiya Clear red and blue painted on top. The explosive cord is moulding on the inside of the canopy. Unfortunately it is raised instead of recessed, otherwise I could have treated it like a panel line and used the pin wash technique. Instead I had to carefully paint it by hand. I used acrylic (Ammo by Mig) so once dry I could scratch off any mistakes and tidy it up with a sharpened cocktail stick. Once happy with it I dipped it in AK Interactive gauzy glass coat. I couldn't use a cocktail stick to clean up the paint work if I didn't the other way around.

Mark.

• Like 1