Scaleworx 48th scale SAAF Puma build...

heloman1

I remember an occasion when one of those guns stuffed it's barrel into a Puma belly.

And, in my early days in Saudi I worked at a desert airstrip.

One day an Oryx and the small tank killer that used the Puma rotors etc

with a big gun on the front (Rooivalk?) dropped in for fuel.

Quite what they were doing literally in the middle of Saudi Arabia I do not know.

• Like 2

Thanks for the interest guys and yes Crisp, a part of the modelling genre that has so far been too long neglected. I'd sorely love the Whirlwind family to be kitted. Just imagine ten or twelve different boxings. boxing with world wide choice of decal options...

Yes Crisp, well past fourty years in service.

I did try to expand on the FAA versions with my ROTORcraft conversion and decal sets.

I'd gladly part with my extensive reference to any mainstrem kit manufacturer that was prepared to produce the kit, S-55/H-19's included.

The world's your oyster Mr Airfix or whoever...

Alex, I'm not up to speed on the RAF type, but as the airframe was the same for 90%, it shouldn't be too hard for the modeller used to a bit of scratchbuilding to convert the kit. As mentioned above, if and only if there is enough interest shown. John could be persuaded to produce the RAF version.

Colin

• Like 2

Thanks for the images Tony, I bet you had a fantastic day up in the cockpit.

Ok, as requested and promissed, some images of the work I did on the 72nd SAAF Puma a few years ago and which was pushed back onto the 'shelf of doom'! Local mods to the fuselage to accomodate local conditions, ie the heat sink panels aft of the exhaust plus a couple of scabbed on patches. The Airfix/Heller kits are devoid of a lot of fuselage detail, so close attention to reference pics is required.

I modeled both the early and then slightly later engine intake filter, the second as fitted to the model is the 'dog box' filter. One mod which will show itself in the 48th build a little later is the 'braai' grid over the upper centre portion of the canopy glazing. There was a problem with bird strikes and the shutting off of the HP cocks, which are situated in the front of the overhead console. The Froggies re enginerered and reversed the configuration, at great expence. The SAAF covered the glazing with strong wire mesh!!! No more chickens in the cockpit...

I've modelled the sponsons with the flat faces, bulged covers were to be added to the kit.I added new door tracks, the kit parts beign well over scale. Mention in my Scaleworx build has been made of the windows and their size. You will see, that Airifx didn't get it quite right either!!!

There is a mozzie lurking under the aft end of the fus, suffice to say it is now an ex-mozzie...

IMG_3993crre_zpshahtinzb.jpg

Some of the parts for the Oryx conversion, which were sent to John at Scaleworx. The tail cone is unashamedly ex Super Puma as it was on the prototype Oryx (why make a new one when there is a perfectly good part available)? The fus, not sown is Puma which were extensively rebuilt with the engines and rotor dynamics of the Super Puma.

Patrs are, new overhead console at the top, large sponsons, nose flot, bag, new tail plane, sponson no flot gear covers, engine exhaust protection plates and new intake filters and lastly a new instrument panel. Can't show you the fus, I think John may still have this.

The new blade was quortesy of John at Scaleworx.

IMG_3994crre_zpsrbhahvln.jpg

Colin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Some of the parts for the Oryx conversion, which were sent to John at Scaleworx. The tail cone is unashamedly ex Super Puma as it was on the prototype Oryx (why make a new one when there is a perfectly good part available)? The fus, not sown is Puma which were extensively rebuilt with the engines and rotor dynamics of the Super Puma.

Patrs are, new overhead console at the top, large sponsons, nose flot, bag, new tail plane, sponson no flot gear covers, engine exhaust protection plates and new intake filters and lastly a new instrument panel. Can't show you the fus, I think John may still have this.

The new blade was quortesy of John at Scaleworx.

Hi Colin,

Really enjoying your build, and very interesting to see how your experience almost makes it look easy.

Anyway, I don't have the parts anymore, and did return them to you years ago ;)

I went all out with my Oryx as a complete kit.

NW0f6N.jpg

Cheers,

John

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 11:26 AM, heloman1 said:

I did try to expand on the FAA versions with my ROTORcraft conversion and decal sets.

I know you did, and major kudos to you for doing so.  I am working quietly on a couple of your Lynx 3 conversions, and very good they are too.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:56 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I know you did, and major kudos to you for doing so.  I am working quietly on a couple of your Lynx 3 conversions, and very good they are too.

Good to hear Crisp, anything to show us yet?

Colin

Excellent thread. Always loved the Puma and did several right of passage builds on the old Airfix 1/72 many years back. Kits like this could further tempt me to upscale!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, apologies as I was away from home over the festive season, keeping my lady happy! I did take the Puma with me and did a lot of filling and sanding on the fus, tailcone joint. Why it actually ended up being such a problem, I have no answer unless it was that I tried to rush the assembly!

Antwat, Ithink I'm almost ontop of it. Maybe a coat of primer to show up and areas that may need some more attention and we may be good to go...

So here is where I'm at tonight, starboard side...

IMG_4050crre_zpsi7u9slzj.jpg

IMG_4051crre_zpsyduueu4b.jpg

IMG_4052crre_zpszfxvjfsw.jpg

I used some plasticard to bulk out the rear fus, at the tailcone joint. The rest is lots of layers of Tamiya putty and lots of sanding. 

Colin

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wow, I've been away from this build, since the begining of January. Well that is not exactly true, I've spent a lot of time filling the fuselage/tailcone blend! All my own fault for being careless!!!

Anyway, lots of tamiya putty, when I should have used epoxy to speed up the process...

Here is where I am at present. Two coats of Tamiya fine surface primer an lot of rubbing and a coat of Humbrol Sand. Not the correct colour but just to see where there might still be imprefections. 

I've had to restore a lot of the rivet lines too but we are getting there.

IMG_4415crre_zpslvfgqivq.jpg

More soon...

Providing we don't get too many sessions of 'load shedding' Government enforced power cuts!

Colin

• Like 2