Scaleworx 48th scale SAAF Puma build...

heloman1

Hot off the press, is the Scaleworx SAAF Puma in 48th scale, a complete resin kit...

So, here's the box art and a look at what you get in the box...

.IMG_20180927_171258crre_zpszbmaxccl.jpg

IMG_3866crre_zpsfistmfzh.jpg

Ok, I've got other builds on my workspace but this build is by way of a request from John at Scaleworx.

It all started when I gave him the ancient and quite crude Heller kit. That kit is 50th scale, so need to be adjusted, accurized and the detailed.

Nicely cast in Scaleworx signature light blue resin, there are over a 100 pasrts, including full cockpit detail, engine and transmission deck parts plus a lully detailed tail rotor. Of note are the main rotorblades which have a wire insert to keep the straight. So a lot of thought has gone into producing this kit. So if you want a Puma then this may well be the only way to go...

Two vacformed with framing detail cockpit glazing canopies are also providedalong withhte round dome window in the aft fuselage, as well as a for page set of colour instrutions.

John has posted on Facebook, that if there is sufficient interest, he will consider and RAF version. So get your fingers working and get your requests in! Visit them at [email protected] and on Facebook.

There is going to be a fair amount of cleanining up, so I'll not bore you with that just now.

Colin

• Like 8

At last. I imagine it'll not be cheap though.

If anything I would say the cabin and door windows need a good looking at.

The windows seem way too small and the seals too thick.

I think they need opening out to the outer edges of the seals and new seals adding onto the skin.

I've fitted one or two in the past...

• Like 1

Hi Pete, I was thinking the same this afternoon, when I was cutting out the flash over. Not cheap but I think it wil be the only one you are going to get... I've nothing to check the size against, I loaned my Puma ref to a freind and it was never returned!!!

Colin

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Colin, 

Have a look at this picture from the walkaround section on BM

p%252009.jpg&key=356232fb96bd0af33ce9586

It can be seen that the window depth fits between four stringers (four lines of rivets . Not sure how technical you are?).

I'm not sure how clear the rivets are on the model.

I think what they've done is to measure the transparency and then added the (oversized) seal to it, rather than around the outside.

Sorry if I'm going to cause you more work, but if I built the model it would bug the whatsits out of me if I didn't fix it.

Regards

Pete

Ok guys, regarding the window sizes, John had sent me dimensions. I have made a template and the windows are a tad undersize and the seal rubbers oversize. So I've taken one of the doors and shaved off the seals. I will cut the openings to the correct size and remake the rubber seals and se whatit looks like.

John reccommends using Crystal Clear for the glazing, which I'm not a huge fan of so will engineer the rear face to accept clear sheet.

I was away over the weekend, so no progress. I'm tyring to get on it this pm...

Colin

• Like 5

Sorry guys, I've been away from my build for too long, dentis, domestic chores and riding my bike etc., have all conspired to get in the way. I have however shaved the rubbers off and recut the openings. I'll make a jig to form the new rubbers and then see where we are. That will only happen on Monday . I have remeberance day  and poppy sale commitments over the weekend...

For those of you going to Telford, enjoy it to it's fullest. I'll be green with envy.

Colin

• Like 4

OK, guys, I'm back in harness as they say. Was away form this build all last week due to a lack of enthusiasm and lack of time... I really do want to get this kit built and painted by the end of the month, so... It's the 100th anniversary of the SAAF next year, so I'd really like to get this cab in for the GB.

So, I've had a good few hours on the Puma today and got more assembly work done. As can be imagined it being a resin kit the fit sometimes is not as it would be with an injection moulded kit. But if it were, then wouldn't that be boring?

I've had to do some shaving of the transmission platform/cabin roof part to get the two fus, halves to slide together nicely. I also had to after I ground out some resin from the oil cooler exhaust, chop a couple of mil, off the coller legs, just to get it to sit right for the exhaust opening in the aft half of the doghouse. That done, I fitted the cabin floor, which went in a treat. I also added the cockpit bulkhead avionics compartments and the nosewheel bay plus the load hook bay.

I've had a tad filling to do on the sponsons where they fit to the fus, sides but again nothing too daunting.

So, here are the images as to where I'm at as of the final whistle today...

IMG_3916crre_zpsozycc8uf.jpg

I also did some filling on the leading edges of the main rotorblades. Scaleworx attached them to theid mould gate via their leaing edges, and there is nothing wrong with that. However a few bubbles creapt into the moulds and this neccesitated filling.

The fine wire added to keep the blades flat/straight is a real boon. I also did a little work on the TR blades but my eyes weren't working too well this afternoon. So I put them side. I'l wait for a sunnier day...

IMG_3918crre_zpst7lnbb2k.jpg

Enjoy...

Colin

• Like 10

You almost couldn't see the blocks Colin, just looked like a maintenance stand of some kind

The Stirling itself is a thing of beauty

I'm going to enjoy seeing this come along, I've built two Airfix ones but they always fade out in my memory bank

Shouldn't really, should they?

😕

Thanks for the interest and comments guys, really appreciated.

Ok, some mild progress. After spending a few hours yesterdy getting the transmission platform and engine bay to fit. Nothing too problematic, just a fneat fit required. Then adding the cabin floor and the parts to the cockpit. Then this morning, I have shot some matt black around, maybe I should have used a very dark grey but I think with some dry brushing it will start to come alive. We shall see! 

I nearly added the collective and cyclic sticks and rudder pedals but thought better of it, leave them until later...

In the first of my latest images, you will see a red arrow, no not the jet in the port fus half. It denotes and area, where I had to make some minor adjustment to the soundproof quilting. The vertical line wasn't quite square so pushed the aviaonics compartment over a tad. Soon sorted...

IMG_3919crre_zpsxqvdhwal.jpg

And now with some matt black splashed around, I'll then remask and shoot the light grey for the engine bay etc...

IMG_3920crre_zpscoqfobvm.jpg

That's all for now. I still mean to finish this build by the end of the month, so won't be going into too much detail.

Colin

• Like 9

Ok guys, some slight progress, painting and detailing. Plus I recieved the new (later fit) intake filters, which will be included in the Puma kits. I did some dry brushing on the quilting and then I've airbrushed the transmission platform/engine assembly. Most of which will be hidded!

IMG_3950crre_zpswskruxkh.jpg

I still have to add the fire extinguisher to the cabin bulkhead then sandwhich the transmission platform between the fus halves. maybe tomorrow...

Colin

• Like 8

Nice work Colin :goodjob: I've some good memories from time spent getting thrown around in the back of the Puma, usually at high speeds and VERY low levels, so will be paying close attention to your progress and stealing ideas as well as Inspiration to one day have a crack at the old Airfix kit :) 

• Like 1

Thanks Col. I have a couple of Airfix/Heller Pumas in the stash/WIP box. One an attempt at an Oryx the other an early SAAF type with the dogbox filter. Maybe I can post a couple f pics of those two stalled projects?

Buttoning up the two fus, halves today...

Colin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Thanks Col. I have a couple of Airfix/Heller Pumas in the stash/WIP box. One an attempt at an Oryx the other an early SAAF type with the dogbox filter. Maybe I can post a couple f pics of those two stalled projects?

I'd certainly like to see them so yes please do.

Me too. For a type that’s been in front line service for so long, the Puma is ridiculously under-represented.  It baffles me why we seem to be able to buy kits of WW2 aircraft that never got beyond a few blueprints, or German aircraft carriers (yes, plural) that were never built, yet no-one seems that interested in producing mainstream kits of the aircraft that have been the backbone of the rotary wing world (Seaking, Puma et al) for nigh-on 50 years.  

So well done to Scaleworx for trying; short run kits always take a bit more work than yer Tamiyas etc. - but thank God we have people who are prepared to put in the effort.

• Like 3

Wow this looks like a fabulous kit Colin and you are doing a lovely job so far mate! 

Here is a photo that I look the last time that I flew in a Puma (Turkey 1992) while sat in the co pilots seat. My film ran out at this point,........and five minutes later we formated up with four German CH-53`s and another couple of Puma`s,..... the view and rotor wash was amazing;

IMG_20160127_0001_0004

Here is what I was wearing;

Turkey 92- Puma pilot 2

And this is what we were doing for most of the day,.....plus fast roping Belgian Para Commando`s! The pilot let me fly it (it must have been on auto pilot,....well I hope that it was!) and we were so low that he had to remind me to climb a little higher over telephone lines because we had a gun hanging underneath us lol;

36798526_625963531095275_6395053042131009536_n

Good luck with the model mate,...... the Puma is a helicopter very close to my own heart,....... just like the Wessex is to you,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5