XP-82 Twin Mustang in 1/48 Best starting point and modifications?

WV908

Hi all, 

I’m going a bit Mustang mad at the minute and I quite fancy a model of Tom Reilly’s XP-82 in 1/48. Can anyone tell me the best starting point kit wise (although 1/48 F-82 kits are very hard to find in the UK) and the mods that would be needed?

Second (dumb) question. From a money standpoint it would be very cheap to pick up two ICM P-51D’s and kitbash - but is this possible? 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
Extra question
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Can anyone tell me the best starting point kit wise (although 1/48 F-82 kits are very hard to find in the UK) and the mods that would be needed?

The Modelcraft F-82B kit, as this has this has closer to the right engines.

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/f82preview.htm

this says the B and E are the same, but I doubt it.

I have a spare F-82E if you want on though (I got an E to do the G, and later got a G) , Modelcraft did a B, E and G boxings BTW

But it's a very poor kit, both inaccuate and crude.

to get an idea

http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/f82gpb_1.htm

I'll dig some more links out in a mo.

there was a limited resin kit, but thats really rare

10 minutes ago, WV908 said:

Second (dumb) question. From a money standpoint it would be very cheap to pick up two ICM P-51D’s and kitbash - but is this possible? 

NO.  The F-82 is more based on the P-51H, which is not like the D model at all.

• Thanks 1

Hi Troy,

thanks for the info and the offer of the F-82E as i’m interested in it. It looks like it may be a better starting point chin-intake wise than an F-82B which is promising. I’ve tried to message you but it won’t let me. 

Cheers,

WV908

I struggle to tell the difference between the two cowls Modelcraft provided in the B.  Despite its shortcomings, I'm afraid that kit IS the best place to start.  And the P-82 has very little structure actually in common with any P-51, so there's little to be gained by chopping up those.  However, you can get vac canopies, which are worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not my scale, and not real familiar with the 1/48 kits, but it looks like in the link Troy supplied on the Modelcraft kit, that the engine cowlings are correct or pretty close for the XP-82 through P-82D variants. Be aware, however, that on early flights, the XP-82 props rotated upwards towards the center, but this was changed to downwards towards the center, due to some very unsatisfactory airflow, IIRC. (They just switched the engines from one cowling to the other.) The 2nd cockpit would not have any equipment associated with  radar, as the P-82C and P-82D were the only Merlin-powered versions that were equipped with a radar pod fitted to the center section, and they differed only in the type of radar that was installed in the pod. If you need references for the cockpit or wheel bays, you can go on the internet and search for XP-82 restoration project , and you will find monthly updates illustrating the history, recovery, and restoration of this very rare airplane. Should be making her first flight next month, I believe.

http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.com/

I have a set of resin engines from Airwaves/DB Models in 1/72 scale to convert a Monogram or Special Hobby F-82E/G, but they are long, long OOP, and I don't recall seeing any of the same for 1/48, in case the Modelcraft cowling are not correct. I have the pilots manual and a pretty good monograph for the F-82E/G if you need any additional reference material. Best I can do- sorry!

IIRC, there are only two parts on the P-82 that are in common with a Mustang!

Mike

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

IIRC, there are only two parts on the P-82 that are in common with a Mustang!

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for all the info! Two parts? Makes you wonder what the point of the whole project was (although look at what we would have missed if they didn’t bother). I bet those two parts were something daft like the rudder pedals too.

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

1 hour ago, WV908 said:

Hi Mike,

thanks for all the info! Two parts? Makes you wonder what the point of the whole project was (although look at what we would have missed if they didn’t bother). I bet those two parts were something daft like the rudder pedals too.

Cheers,

WV908

Believe it or not, a trim knob and hinge points for the rudder and elevator are the only parts shared between the P-82 and the P-51D, according to Tom Reilly, the man in charge of the restoration. I got to see the Confederate Air Force P-82B (I refuse to call it the Commemorative Air Force!) fly at two of their Harlingen airshows; it was pretty impressive. A shame it was damaged several years ago  to the extent that they couldn't repair it and the Air Force had to take it back, but at least it has been preserved. I hope at some point they can make a replica radar pod for it and then they could display it as a P-82C or P-82D and it would not be so similar to the other P-82B they have on display- Betty Joe. The CAF approached the Air Force at Lackland AB about the possibility of trading their pair of props, which had been cosmetically repaired but were not airworthy, for the pair on Lackland's F-82E, but the AF refused, stating correctly that they could not set a precedent for allowing the stripping display aircraft for parts to make civil warbirds flyable. All of the aircraft displayed at bases or other locations around the United States are on long term loan from either the Air Force or National Air & Space Museums, who are the owners of those aircraft.

Mike

• Like 1

The reason the switch from the Merlin to the Allison was money. Packard lost the license to make Merlins and the Allison engines got to the point they matched the Merlin's power .   For the Merlin nose has anyone considered just cutting one off a mustang kit? l even thought of that and getting an aftermarket open mustang cowl.

Hacker

Edited by hacker

9 minutes ago, hacker said:

The reason the switch from the Merlin to the Allison was money. Packard lost the license to make Merlins and the Allison engines got to the point they matched the Merlin's power .   For the Merlin nose has anyone considered just cutting one off a mustang kit? l even thought of that and getting an aftermarket open mustang cowl.

Hacker

Won't work. The carb intake is not the same, the cross section of the cowling is different- partly due to the different engine mounts, and the stainless steel exhaust fairings and stacks are not the same, either. Airwaves made this mistake when they made their 1/72  resin conversion cowlings, as they basically just molded a P-51D cowling to fit the firewall of the F-82 Monogram kit. A P-51H cowling would have been much closer to the P-82B; I have two RS Models P-51H kits set aside just to give up their cowlings for reworking to make the conversion. (if you look at photos of a P-51D, P-51H, and P-82 cowling, I think you will be able to see the differences.)

Mike

• Like 1