REVELL B787-8 WHICH ENGINES ?

Hi everyone ,I am planning a build of this kit and was wondering if anyone could advise me which engine type is supplied with kit.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Many thanks Michael.   

The 787 uses a common nacelle and pylon for both the RR and GE engine options.

The way to tell them apart is by the direction that the fan turns. Looking head-on, the RR turns counter-clockwise and the GE turns clockwise.

Upon checkng my kit, Revell have supplied the RR fans. (Revell give you both engine logo options on the decal anyway)

Edited by Scott Garard
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Scott Garard said:

The 787 uses a common nacelle and pylon for both the RR and GE engine options.

The way to tell them apart is by the direction that the fan turns. Looking head-on, the RR turns counter-clockwise and the GE turns clockwise.

Upon checkng my kit, Revell have supplied the RR fans. (Revell give you both engine logo options on the decal anyway)

Many thanks Scott,thats a great help,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Cheers Michael.

14 hours ago, Sonoran said:

Not true.  The pylons are the same, but the engine nacelles are not.   The shapes are different as are the details.

RR Trent 1000:

Rolls-Royce-Trent-1000-engine.jpg

GENex:

9551184748_a8d6affc24_b.jpg

A couple of great close up shots - thanks for posting

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 5:35 AM, Sonoran said:

Not true.  The pylons are the same, but the engine nacelles are not.   The shapes are different as are the details.

RR Trent 1000:

GENex:

From those shots posted it looks like the shape of the nacelle is not different (perhaps a trick of the angles the photos were taken at?), but as mentioned the details are different, vents, drain masts and location of warning markings.

13 minutes ago, Sonoran said:

It’s not obvious from those photos, but the shapes of the nacelles *are* different.  

So I found a side shot of the RR engine to compare to your GE engine posted and as you say they *are* different

153Db561H0-1Y56.jpg

On 06/11/2018 at 19:35, Sonoran said:

RR Trent 1000:

GENex:

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So I found a side shot of the RR engine to compare to your GE engine posted and as you say they *are* different

153Db561H0-1Y56.jpg

You may notice that even the two RR shown are different (side grille position).

What is also different :

the pylon which goes further front on the GE (or is the central part shorter on this engine ?).

-  the hot parts ahead of the cone.

Edited by AV O

In 1/144 I'd say you could just get on with whatever's in the kit for either choice without worrying too much about the (very minor) differences!

Alan (ex-787 pilot, RR only) 🤣

• Like 4

Pedant mode activated: All modern civil R-R engines (from RB-211-22b to the latest Trent XWB) rotate clockwise when viewed from the front, not the other way around as earlier suggested. The GE (and P&W) counter clockwise. Also, the aircraft is designed so that either engine can be mounted on a common pylon with common offtakes for services etc. 

Air New Zealand 787 with Trent 1000. Engine rotates clockwise when viewed from the front. ;) 

30926743867_cd809bfa04_o.jpg

Edited by Bill.B
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sonoran said:

The GE also has a noticably bigger thrust reverser arm fairing on the bottom.

If the ‘arm fairing’ you are referring to is the bulge under the engine, it is simply a fairing where the the latches are located that hold the two halves of the thrust reverser cowlings together. The little grey protrusion just forward of the bulge is a dry drains mast that allows any oil or fuel that may leak from the engine to be safely dumped overboard. There are about 8 tubes that terminate in the mast and each exit hole on the mast is engraved with the name of the area where that particular drain originates, ie. ‘Hydraulic pump #1’, or ‘VFSG #2’ etc. This is to help the ground crew locate any minor leaks quickly during maintenance.

Hope that helps. :)

14 hours ago, Bill.B said:

Pedant mode activated: All modern civil R-R engines (from RB-211-22b to the latest Trent XWB) rotate clockwise when viewed from the front, not the other way around as earlier suggested. The GE (and P&W) counter clockwise.

Pedant mode activated: Propeller and fan rotation is conventionally determined when looking in the direction of travel (ie from behind), ergo all modern civil R-R engines (from RB-211-22b to the latest Trent XWB) rotate counter clockwise,  GE (and P&W) rotate clockwise.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Pedant mode activated: Propeller and fan rotation is conventionally determined when looking in the direction of travel (ie from behind), ergo all modern civil R-R engines (from RB-211-22b to the latest Trent XWB) rotate counter clockwise,  GE (and P&W) rotate clockwise.

You are correct, but I was replying to Scott Garard’s post and using the same logic as he was, ie. looking head on, facing the fan. 

On 09/11/2018 at 09:27, AV O said:

You may notice that even the two RR shown are different (side grille position).

What is also different :

the pylon which goes further front on the GE (or is the central part shorter on this engine ?).

-  the hot parts ahead of the con

Mind you. Adding some fun and  trouble in minds.

There is also a GE with the side grille fitted at the bottom as well as an outlet  :

http://www.airlive.net/alert-faa-orders-urgent-787-repair-after-engine-fails-at-20000-feet/

Edited by AV O

On 11/14/2018 at 11:12 PM, Bill.B said:

You are correct, but I was replying to Scott Garard’s post and using the same logic as he was, ie. looking head on, facing the fan. 

My logic had sound intentions, but I have since found some videos which prove I was only half-right. Both engine types rotate clockwise as you look at them from the front. (Which is counter-clockwise to the forward direction of travel)

GE engines: Air Canada 787 pushback and engine start

RR engine: British Airways engine run

Engines are windmilling counter-clockwise, but as they fire up, they turn clockwise (look at the squiggle painted on the centre cone).

I concede that the nacelles are slightly different (regardless of vents) -  but in 1/144 scale (or indeed 1/200) the differences are negligible at best. 99.5% of spectators wouldn't notice anyway!

Just enjoy your build Michael, we look forward to your progress.

Cheers! 😊

• Like 2

For information:  The colour of the engine tail cone is a purple/blue colour due to heat discolouring the titanium alloy, but is not a uniform colour in real life. Also, if representing the R-R engine, the extreme tip of the spinner should be painted ‘Tamiya Rubber’ colour despite what photos may show as in real life it is actually a small rubber cone. This rubber cone serves to prevent the build up of ice as it flexes and sheds any build up that may occur, thus avoiding the possibility of ice ingestion. 

Edited by Bill.B
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...