Sikorsky S-58T Twinpack, Air America, at a Lima Site somewhere in Laos

Hi everyone, 

Just finished my attempt at `loosely` converting Revell`s 1/48 Wessex kit into something that looks vaguely like a S-58T Twinpack ..........

8aurLIs.jpg

.......in the absence of an available kit.

6Yn7D8T.jpg

Finished to represent a chopper of Air America as used in the early 1970`s by the CIA during the Secret War in Laos

qhgwNyd.jpg

Which fills one of the gaps in my small sub theme on the subject.

VwxgQim.jpg

Apart from the work to the nose: I added a cabin roof and converted the seats to look like military examples, added a bit of detail in the cockpit such as coaming over the instrument panel, cyclic sticks etc.....

ovHaVVT.jpg

...some hydraulic hoses to the winch, brake pipes and landing lights, wire mesh on areas around the tail, an attempt at creating the sling ,pipework and `gubbins` under the fuselage.

MzyH4Sl.jpg

and added various aerials to suit the subject.

fsH8wBW.jpg

The mis-matched patches and touch ups on the paint work were copied from a picture of XW-PHB at Udorn AFB in Terry Loves book ` Wings of Air America` although the port side is not shown.

FSQiHxS.jpg

The nose was done with plastic sheet, P-38 car body filler, wire mesh and a lot of wet and dry

Qb6mfCZ.jpg

All measurements and cross sections were done with Mark 1 Eye Ball and are not to be taken seriously 🙄

Hope you enjoy the pic`s

Thanks for looking, cheers Russ

• Like 56
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant,....... what more can I say,.... another superb addition to your collection,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work Russ :worthy: ... I dont suppose you have any plans ? I have one of these 7 miles from where i live and desperately want to model it ? 

Cheers Corsair` no plans I`m afraid, all done from photo`s and Mk 1 Eye Ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pauly Boy said:

Absolute beauty!!

Air America is one of my favourite subject. Been wanting to do this version for a while now. How about a Caribou next???

Always enjoy your builds!

Paul

Thanks Paul, I think a Caribou is a bit on the large size in `48th I`d have no where to put it.

Dreaming of a Helio Courier or Dornier 28 being bought out by some manufacturer though. 🙂 Well you can dream..........

Cheers Russ

Russ,

Not one of my favourite versions of the S-58/Wessex family, I will readily admit, but you have captured the look well and I enjoyed seeing how you put this conversion together !.

Another great subject for your S.E.A collection

Well Done, Sir !  

• Like 1

Nice paintwork Russ. I like the way you modulate to panels. Really adds to the life of the subject. I tried it on my Zero, but it was a bit light and will be lost in the final finish. Next time I will try to make it more defined. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Nice paintwork Russ. I like the way you modulate to panels. Really adds to the life of the subject. I tried it on my Zero, but it was a bit light and will be lost in the final finish. Next time I will try to make it more defined. 

Thanks Greg, re, the panels : in the case of the Twinpack, I found a photo of the actual aircraft which had got large areas of mis-matched paint applied ( probably had some corrosion control or other damage repaired ) and this is what I tried to replicate. I`m not trying to tell you how to finish your builds, but it would look a bit odd on a Zero probably, I`d try to do it much subtler in that case.

Cheers Russ 

Yes, I did try and do it subtle. In the end it turned out too subtle and faded away. Still not a problem, this Zero has a blotchy camo anyway, so it wouldn't have been noticed.  I learnt something from doing it and that was the point of the exercise. Same with the cowl scratches. I first tried to use micro-mask to get the scratch effect which worked to a degree, but when I tried to remove micro-mask the tooth brush damaged to the rest of the paint. In the end I repainted it and just hand scratched it which worked out much better. For me at this stage it is all about experimenting trying to get some of the nice effects I see on your models.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Thanks 1