Classic Airfix Concorde for 2019

malpaso

On 1/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, Albeback52 said:

I have pre ordered 6 of these Concordes! Am I being greedy? :lol:Looks like September going to be a VERY expensive month as, I notice a lot of the Vintage Classics appear about then!!

Allan

I've gone for four so I think you're being reasonable and certainly not greedy.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:31 PM, Vicarage Vee said:

Well, the wings are on the correct sides of the fuselage...

Possibly the best spin on an answer I've ever seen :D Allan is quite correct, the kit was released way before the first prototype was finished and the tooling adds another chunk. The aircraft was at the absolute edge of what could be done and was constantly being changed, It makes superb nostalgia build and What-If? material and the BOAC scheme is beautiful. If you want to build 001 or 002 then I suggest looking on the kit as a source of parts for a major scratch-build, first you'll have to pick the day you want to capture. The preserved examples are in pretty good shape and 101 at Duxford had a very knowledgeable guide and most of the test equipment still fitted when I saw her last.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Possibly the best spin on an answer I've ever seen :D Allan is quite correct, the kit was released way before the first prototype was finished and the tooling adds another chunk. The aircraft was at the absolute edge of what could be done and was constantly being changed, It makes superb nostalgia build and What-If? material and the BOAC scheme is beautiful. If you want to build 001 or 002 then I suggest looking on the kit as a source of parts for a major scratch-build, first you'll have to pick the day you want to capture. The preserved examples are in pretty good shape and 101 at Duxford had a very knowledgeable guide and most of the test equipment still fitted when I saw her last.

Yes, its based on the concept drawings of Concorde, the kit was available well over three years before the prototype Concorde took to the air. Lots of work to turn it into the prototype.

Tommo.

• Like 1

I'm getting the impression that Airfix have done well in selecting this one as, for starters, quite a few of us here are interested for one reason or another. I've also preordered a pair.

As a kit it has relatively few parts and is a good canvass for exercising the imagination as well as a fine piece of nostalgia. 

As for modelling the actual flying prototype it's probably like the old joke about the lost couple asking the yokel directions to which he responds "Well I wouldn't start from here".

Edited by Vicarage Vee
Must check spelling on phone... C-
  • Haha 2

On 1/13/2019 at 9:18 AM, SleeperService said:

The BOAC is livery is, indeed, beautiful.  In my humble opinion it is THE nicest ever to adorn an aircraft ever.  So stylish, sophisticated and 60s-ish.  Not that I'm in to whiffery but I am quite tempted by this.  It looks straight out of Thunderbirds.

• Like 3

I assume that the kit will have new updated instructions, anyone have a pdf or scan of the original ones although It would be nice if Airfix could provide the original with the kit.

Robert

On 15/01/2019 at 15:58, Robert said:

I assume that the kit will have new updated instructions, anyone have a pdf or scan of the original ones although It would be nice if Airfix could provide the original with the kit.

Robert

I need to check - I bought the original in a started and part-painted state (wonder what paint this is - it is totally unimpressed by any chemical treatment so far. Grrrr...) - IIRC there was the instruction included. Let me check over the weekend.

29 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

I need to check - I bought the original in a started and part-painted state (wonder what paint this is - it is totally unimpressed by any chemical treatment so far. Grrrr...) - IIRC there was the instruction included. Let me check over the weekend.

Brake fluid is your friend.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

Yes, brake fluid can work really well. Don't leave it on too long though. And maybe test on a piece of sprue first for a few hours to make sure you don't get any surface crazing of the plastic. It's a long time since I actually used brake fluid for this purpose and I believe the specs have changed quite a bit over the years.

10 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I'd avoid brake fluid on plastic of that age - have you tried a sodium hydroxide based solution like stripakit or Mr Muscle?

Tommo's tip:

I not to long ago I stripped a Kitmaster Midland Pullman set that was approaching 60 years old. The paint was caked on and as old as the kit, brake fluid lifted the paint with no adverse problems to the styrene.

Buy yourself a cheap washing up bowl and cling film from Poundland or similar. Dump in enough brake fluid into the bowl to cover the parts and cover the bowl in cling film. It depends on the age and how the paint has been applied, but even the thickest oldest paint is gone in 24 hours, most will just float off. Any hard to remove parts will normally come off with a rub of a soft tooth brush dipped in BF. But always make sure you are wearing eye protection when doing this. Nuetralise the brake fluid by dipping the parts in warm soapy water. Dispose of the brake fluid responsibly at your local tip.

Tommo.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, azureglo said:

Is it my fuzzy memory but I distantly remember a younger me in the early 70's making one and it came with a strange punch tool on the sprues for knocking the windows out of the decal sheet? Man I'd like to give that go again...

Quite correct. All of the Airfix airliner kits provided this. The idea being of course that you apply the decal, open up the window apertures, fit the windows and then assemble the fuselage! 

4 hours ago, tony.t said:

I remember building the first edition when 8 in 1966 but can't remember if it came with legs and wheels.

undercart included?

Want to pose one next to a Revell jobbie

Tony

Yes. It a full kit. Original came with a transparent stand if you wanted to display it flying. Personally, I think the concept Concorde is even better looking than the real one!

Allan

• Thanks 2

• 10 months later...

As an aside it appears that the whole release schedule of the Airfix Classic programme seems to have slowed down significantly since its introduction. Half the kits in the classic range on the Airfix website are still listed as pre orders. If I was a cynical sort I would say perhaps they are gauging interest before committing to production.

I questioned the wisdom of the subject matter and pricing policy of this range at the outset, given a lot of what is scheduled for released is still widely available on the secondhand market. That said, I would have thought the their 'classic' Concorde kit may have been the exception, so perhaps its a website glitch or the moulds are stuffed?

Tommo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

If I was a cynical sort I would say perhaps they are gauging interest before committing to production.

I think you might be onto something with this. There’s obviously a minimum run size, below which it doesn’t make financial sense to produce the kit. If Airfix didn’t get enough pre-orders from trade customers and direct sales through the web site it wouldn’t surprise me if they canceled the proposed release. Having excess stock on hand costs money now that Hornby has outsourced its warehousing and shipping functions.

I noticed that the P-61 Black Widow seemed to have disappeared from the pre-order list as well.

• Like 1

I pre ordered 6 of them. Going to be seriously miffed if this does not appear.

If indeed the reason for the disappearing from the website is lack of pre orders then Airfix should at least have the common decency and courtesy to advise its customers who DID order the kits.

I have yet to recieve a response to the enquiries I sent to Airfix direct and, posted on their Facebook page

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

The prototype Concorde is back on the Airfix website today (14th December), along with the other Vintage Classic kits (such as the Graf Spee).

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great news, I will need one . As aside,has anybody seen that God awful gold coin being promoted at the moment. What possessed them to use such an awful image such as the bent nose!

Keith

Edited by Britman

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, IanHx said:

Well it's now the end of 2019, no BOAC vintage classic concorde and it seems to have been pulled from Airfix's website.  Disappointed doesn't begin to cover it :(

Yes, its gone again.

Its interesting to note the whole classic range has now been reduced to three pages on the Airfix site, from the five and half to six pages previously.

Tommo.

• Like 1