Classic Airfix Concorde for 2019

malpaso

9 hours ago, general melchett said:

Blast from the past. Back in 2010, I modified one of the original kits to carry a pair of projected Bristol Grand Slam II standoff missiles, (Tony Buttler: Hypersonics, Ramjets and Missiles) from a concept drawing by Arthur Gibson, (though Arthur had his carrying four Blue Steel Mk 1's...which would have been a bit of a tight fit, to put it mildly!).

imageproxy-1.jpg

I built it for our Project Cancelled SIG, (Standoff Missile Carrier Aircraft) as a bit of fun which seemed to go down rather well at shows. The original issue was ideal as source material. Be great to see it reissued!

1-P1090966-001.jpg

1-P1090975.jpg

Good morning General sir! Very nice! 😀. This would indeed be a very welcome reissue. One of my "backburner" projects ( it's still there😕!) using the standard Concorde kit was Hyperion -(God of watchfulness in Greek mythology). This would have a modified,shortened nose,an additional two engines and extended wing span. A high altitude recon bird a la SR-71!i

It also strikes me that this particular kit might be a better basis for the German SST seen (briefly) several times on the series "Man in the High Castle" ?

Allan

• Like 2

Thanks Allan, I'd like to see the Hyperion idea, should make for a pretty impressive beast! 

You're right regarding the German SST, using the short fuselage and ogival wings but with the lengthened tail cone of the production model. Just need to shorten the landing gear and add a new fin (made from the wing of a fighter or scratched from card) plus a few smaller fins and canards...pretty straightforward stuff really.

1-Haunebu001-001.jpg

1-Haunebu001.jpg

I'm also interested in converting one into the RAF Transport Command A1019A5 hypersonic transport aircraft, though why the RAF would have needed a Mach 5 capable aircraft isn't readily explained....with the usual distances involved you'd get there before you took off!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Allan, I'd like to see the Hyperion idea, should make for a pretty impressive beast! 

You're right regarding the German SST, using the short fuselage and ogival wings but with the lengthened tail cone of the production model. Just need to shorten the landing gear and add a new fin (made from the wing of a fighter or scratched from card) plus a few smaller fins and canards...pretty straightforward stuff really.

1-Haunebu001-001.jpg

1-Haunebu001.jpg

I'm also interested in converting one into the RAF Transport Command A1019A5 hypersonic transport aircraft, though why the RAF would have needed a Mach 5 capable aircraft isn't readily explained....with the usual distances involved you'd get there before you took off!

Who cares about the why when you have the "whif"!:lol:. There seems to be a distinct "step" to the rear of the engine nacelles on the Nazi machine. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix though. If (hopefully) the 1967 Concorde DOES appear as one of the Vintage Classics it will certainly mean I can carve up my two (very rare) originals without compunction!!

Allan 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I would bet my mortgage on it won't happen.

Airfix have not exactly been profligate to date in re-isssuing their extensive airliner back catalogue. When was the last time they added a new tool kit to their 1/144 Skyking range, the '70s?

It will be interesting to see if Airfix do indeed repop their 'concept' Concorde in their 'classic range', I can't see it myself because it can't be made into the the prototype versions without significant bashing around. But, it may pique the interest of some nostagia buffs (particulary if they print a new set of BOAC 'Cunard' decals) wanting to build an travel agent style model, but will that generate enough sales?

Thomo.

I think the 1980 DC-10 was  their most "recent" airliner kit?  Prior to that we had Concorde (1976) DC-9 (1973) & Airbus A300 (1975.) Everything else was a product of the 60s. I think Airfix did actually confirm a couple of years back that they wouldn't be issuing any new 1/144 airliner kits. We won't of course know about sales until they produce it! I'll have at least four please!! I have several non Concorde uses for them!!

Allan

• 2 months later...
On 31/10/2018 at 19:15, malpaso said:

The latest AMW arrived today with next year’s Airfix catalogue.  November 2019 is the classic box art of the BOAC Concorde.  Does this mean a re-release of their early short-tail and heat-shield cockpit visor is on the cards?  I assumed that the original moulds would have been doctored for the production type...

Cheers

Will

And now it's on the website

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

And now it's on the website

- ref. A05170V - Concorde Prototype (BOAC)

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/concorde-prototype-boac-1.html

a05170v-concorde-artwork.jpg

But also

- ref. A05107V - Concorde

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/concorde-prototype-boac.html

with same box art

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Can’t get on the Airfix website from any direction. Would appear that interest in the Airfix announcements exceeds the capacity of the trans-Atlantic cables. Who says it is a dying hobby!

• Like 1

Concorde listed twice with two different numbers (A05170V and A05107V) with same dimensions and artwork.  Unfortunately the quoted length of 431mm equates to the production model not the prototype.

Are we getting both?

• Like 1

On 04/11/2018 at 10:58, Albeback52 said:

Who cares about the why when you have the "whif"!:lol:. There seems to be a distinct "step" to the rear of the engine nacelles on the Nazi machine. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix though. If (hopefully) the 1967 Concorde DOES appear as one of the Vintage Classics it will certainly mean I can carve up my two (very rare) originals without compunction!!

Allan 

What is that?? Never seen any what ifs of a reichscord before... yeah I came up with a name for it deal with it 😂

I like

I must build

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Homebee said:

- ref. A05170V - Concorde Prototype (BOAC)

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/concorde-prototype-boac-1.html

a05170v-concorde-artwork.jpg

But also

- ref. A05107V - Concorde

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/concorde-prototype-boac.html

with same box art

V.P.

That boxart... Sooo brilliant! I could buy the kit just to get the box. But I would love to have a Concorde in that livery, so I'd probably build it. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ho590hm said:

(A05170V and A05107V)

Could just be a typo, the numerals are the same, just shuffled around a bit! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, Adam Poultney said:

What is that?? Never seen any what ifs of a reichscord before... yeah I came up with a name for it deal with it 😂

I like

I must build

It's featured in the 'Man in a High Castle' Series on Amazon Prime. There are a couple of screen shots earlier.

The step in the engine nacelles rang a bell so I went searching and found Melchie's build

10.jpg

The Entex 1/600 box art shows their kit is even more pronounced

146243-10189-pristine.jpg

I think it would work in Quantas service. Lots of water to cross to get anywhere 🤔

• Like 1

Very much looking forward to the 'artists impression' Concorde being re-released.  Purely for nostalgia I'll freely admit.  It was the first model ever built for me (in Air France livery) and I'd like another.

I did manage to pick up a second hand built one, but I don't have the heart to dismantle it. 

Thanks SS, the tiny Entex jobbie (a 2707-300) would be a lot easier to convert into the now named 'Reichscord' due to the delta wings. Actually, there's a couple of other 2707's around, one from Lindberg, 2707-100 (1/500th) and another from Monogram 2707-200 (1/400th) but these, like the Revell kit,  are both based on the earlier 'swing wing' version...just a shame no one came out with the Lockheed L-2000 proposal in 1/200th, (or preferably 1/144th) because that would work well.  

Great to see the Airfix kit confirmed, I can see a few winging their way here upon release as there are several more RAF themed projects to consider... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Great to see the Airfix kit confirmed, I can see a few winging their way here upon release as there are several more RAF themed projects to consider... 

Thank You Good general. Your header had me snorting coffee. Superb!

I'm thinking of.... err.....more than one myself. I have a mad idea of a tanker version with a TSR.2 snuggling up for a drink. Need to talk to the medic about more medications.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I imagine that after this thread there will be a load of aftermarket decal manufacturers freeze-framing The Man In The High Castle to get their Reichscord (good call!) set out first!

TT

Actually, I just noticed there are two styles of tail marking! The main colour is difficult to define. It appears to have a slight yellowish tinge but, that could just be the lighting. Not that it really matters anyway because it's a piece of fiction. Should be easy enough to graft the extended tail cone of the production Concorde on to this original kit. Maybe even graft the windshield area to give the clear nose section? Or, maybe some hypothetical after market producer will even provide a conversion kit?

Rivet counters will HATE this. They won't be able to pick holes in the colouring or, the details (won't stop them trying though!!:whistle:) and, I wonder how long it will be before we get cries of "glorifying Nazism" etc from some quarters.

I have pre ordered 6 of these Concordes! Am I being greedy? :lol:Looks like September going to be a VERY expensive month as, I notice a lot of the Vintage Classics appear about then!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Rivet counters will HATE this. They won't be able to pick holes in the colouring or, the details (won't stop them trying though!!:whistle:) and, I wonder how long it will be before we get cries of "glorifying Nazism" etc from some quarters.

Allan

Given that you can't throw a stick at the average model show without hitting piles of fictional hardware based on "Luftwaffe 46" what ifs, various cartoon series, movies and similar sources of fantasy and fiction, I really can't see anyone turning a hair.

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

How close to the prototype is the original Airfix kit? (I have a built one from the early 70s that I later 'camouflaged' with felt tip pens!)

I think the 1966 Concorde kit was more of a concept than an actual model of the prototype. There are numerous differences between the Airfix kit as designed and, the actual prototype so I don't think you could build a prototype model without a lot of work

8 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Given that you can't throw a stick at the average model show without hitting piles of fictional hardware based on "Luftwaffe 46" what ifs, various cartoon series, movies and similar sources of fantasy and fiction, I really can't see anyone turning a hair.

Fair comment!:lol:.

Allan

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, SleeperService said:

Thank You Good general. Your header had me snorting coffee. Superb!

I'm thinking of.... err.....more than one myself. I have a mad idea of a tanker version with a TSR.2 snuggling up for a drink. Need to talk to the medic about more medications.

Now, THAT'S an idea that never occurred to me!! May I share your medication? Underwing refuelling pods or, maybe a single point tanker with a streamlined fairing enclosing the hose/drum unit?🤔

Allan

• Like 1

I've noted elsewhere the young me staring enviously at the prototype kit in Woolies in Falkirk when I was but young. I never got one then - did the kit actually stay available for that long? My memory is that it disappeared from the shelves fairly quickly - but I'll certainly be doing a BOAC one this time. The BOAC livery just oozes class.

I though the SST was the best thing about The Man In The High Castle...

John 

29 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Now, THAT'S an idea that never occurred to me!! May I share your medication? Underwing refuelling pods or, maybe a single point tanker with a streamlined fairing enclosing the hose/drum unit?🤔

Allan

Thats a great idea! A friend did a MISTEL Avro Arrow with an Red Arrows Angel Interceptor on top. Your suggestion is much more sensible! :)

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

As medical items seem to be getting rather short supply at the moment I haven't got any spare or I'd send some :D I think single point with a BIG hose would be best. I need to find a 1/144 scale TSR.2 now ready for the release.

• Haha 1