Italeri 1/32 TF-104G Royal Netherlands Air Force

I returned to this hobby after a seven year hiatus. I have been lurking this forum for many years and decided to join. This forum is very active with a myriad of spectacular builds, and the crowd alway seems friendly, civil and helpful. Plus I have a soft-spot for the Brits 😏

I have already completed an HK Models 1/32 Gloster Meteor F.4 (also in Dutch colours). It was quite the comeback with old lessons learned all over again, but also a lot of recognition. When I went shopping in Eindhoven I saw the box of this 1/32 TF-104G and just could not resist, this a/c has always had great appeal to me, two-seaters are just much more sexy than their single seat counterparts. I am amazed at the diversity of new kits these days, I any scale....but I digress.

First impressions:

It's no HK Meteor in terms of surface detail (which was superb), but still quite nice and a step up from what I am used to with Italeri kist. Parts details is also high enough and leaves room for scratch- and aftermarket, but it is not needed persé at all. Fit so far has been good also, but again, not as good as the HK Meteor (which for now is my only reference). The decal sheet is....wow. It seems every stencil is there. I will comment on how the decals perform at the end of this build. The engineering is also nice, even when overdone in some areas. The instructions are sketchy in a few spots, but very good overall (the cockpit side walls for example are shown as glued in to the retainer instead of behind it. Luckily it looked goofed up when I dry fitted and I found out in time.

The real-deal:

9wjM7os.png?1

I don't have much to show for yet, some sub-assemblies going on:

YCBTmgS.jpg?2

One of the tanks:

BcTX3IQ.jpg?1

Italeri's colour callout, wrong! Dutch (camouflaged) Starfighters were light grey underneath, not aluminium like the German ones. I have sprayed the tank underside in the colour suggested in many places: RAL7001 Silbergrau fro Xtracolor, but this is way too dark. I found the the base coat of Surfacer I primed it with is much much closer, so I will be using that instead.

cBrzGRs.jpg?1

Currently working on the nice engine, which I will present next time.

Cheers!

Edited by Grunticus
  • Like 14

Hi Grunticus

looking forward to seeing how this comes out, it’s a kit I’ve been tempted by but haven’t taken the plunge yet... interesting photo though, a lot of people might think the preshading had been over done if the model looked like that!

By the way, I think I might know the model shop you are talking about (I work for DAF and visit Eindhoven regularly) - when I visited it a few weeks ago I was going to blow a load of cash on the 1/16 Tamiya Tiger 1 with all the r/c bits, only to find they don’t accept Visa!

Keep the WIP photos coming,

Regards

JA.

• Like 1

On 31 October 2018 at 6:26 PM, Grunticus said:

, two-seaters are just much more sexy than their single seat counterparts

I'm with you there, mate. There are many two seat versions of singles that a far more appealing than their single seat counterparts. The Starfighter is no exception. I loved the two seaters and experienced seeing, hearing and touching many Dutch TFs at Volkel in the late 70s and early 80s. :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

On 31/10/2018 at 20:05, johnny akes said:

Hi Grunticus

looking forward to seeing how this comes out, it’s a kit I’ve been tempted by but haven’t taken the plunge yet... interesting photo though, a lot of people might think the preshading had been over done if the model looked like that!

By the way, I think I might know the model shop you are talking about (I work for DAF and visit Eindhoven regularly) - when I visited it a few weeks ago I was going to blow a load of cash on the 1/16 Tamiya Tiger 1 with all the r/c bits, only to find they don’t accept Visa!

Keep the WIP photos coming,

Regards

JA.

The weathering *does* look nice on this particular A/C, doesn't it? Not quite sure if I am going to attempt it, despite the photographic evidence. The shop I bought is is called Flash Aviation, it's been around a long time. Old fashioned, untidy store where one can spend hours looking. Check your bottle of glue though, it might have been there a long time. The one I bought hardened in the bottle.

Hello fellow-hobbyists. Got on a bit with this one. This TF-104G is going to be all closed up except landing gear, with four fuel tanks attached. I want to se the sleek lines when I look at it later. Now, there is what seemed to be a very nice J-79 included. I haven't seen it built-up I any review yet. So, just to see how it turns out OOB, and so others may see what it looks like when done, and just for fun, I assembled and painted it:

NG4CJzC.jpgZmBL1OH.jpg

Looks pretty Bice, no? (I mean the engine in itself not my work which is so-so). The engine halves have quite thick, sturdy walls in the middle and feather out to thin on the far end. It handles like a brick. It's quite clear to me one could dress it up with bits, wires and some weathering make it in to a masterpiece. Free with the kit 😉

The fuselage halves are, well, fused and again fit was pretty good. One can access the seams from the inside with a paintbrush dipped in thin glue and let capillary action do the work, which results in very minimal cleanup of the seams required after hardening. It welds so to speak.

r4lgLac.jpg

dkY81EX.jpg

0zqWQDW.jpg

One word of advice: the main door gear-door actuator is moulded to the MLG, and sticks out like a sore thumb when handling the fuselage. Take care or it will go flying.

Nose gear and wings are next.

Edited by Grunticus
  • Like 7

Hello Grunticus,

Welcome to this model website.

Looking forward to your contributions.

As mentioned above, If you build the F-104, then choose the TF-104G two seater.

Lots of success.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

A small update, mainly to inform you about the rather good fit of the various panels of this kit:

But first this little gem:

QdueRsz.jpg

This was the best fit I could get out of it OOB and it's no big deal, but really, Italeri, why bother? Mold it solid?

Some glued in and lightly sanded panels:

vnr7AZJ.jpg

QjJaedq.jpg

xZXBX3L.jpg

6yMTwmz.jpg

Really impressive fit in my view. The top fuselage seam was just scraped once and lightly sanded and I can't find one spot that needs putty. Maybe after Surfacer 1200. We'll see. Currently finishing up the cockpit.

• Like 6

Steady progress.

The seats are made entirely from kit-provided parts and the PE fret that is supplied. I just drilled open the holes in the seat-rails. Some reviews disqualify the PE as useless, I beg to differ. Not shabby at all for OOB, well done Italeri. My poor eyes have trouble seeing what I am doing when handling the PE, but I am content.

knGH6tZ.jpg

Dutch TF-104Gs came directly from Lockheed and had C2 seats installed. Seats are in.

tOWn4mw.jpg

The air-intakes fit quite nicely.

861rdi5.jpgIbRT8mE.jpg

Edited by Grunticus
  • Like 7

I generally consider myself a 'satisfactory' modeller in that the hobby generally brings me a good deal of satisfaction. You, sir, have every right to be satisfied with your lovely work on this kit so far :thumbsup:

A bit more progress to show you guys. Frames inside the canopies are fitted. They were somewhat warped, but glueing it one section at a time remedied that fairly easily. Should one snap loose in the future it will look awkward. Make I should have made small locating pins.

NelrOpx.jpg

Masking started, with thin strips of Tamiya tape. I saw they are for sale in 1-3 mm widths these days. This hobby is getting spoiled. Now, despite several UN resolutions Tamiya tape still sticks to human skin 20x better than to polystyrene...Got it in the end.

UTieG60.jpg

I created masks for the navigation lights with this, works a treat. I went trigger happy on te one that went through though...Just a bit of force required.

mNrPu4K.jpg

Wingroot fit (without glue):

XjUesvR.jpg

More masking and painting the frames interior grey. I am going to build another one in Belgian colours, and I have made a resolution that with that kit, I will glue the canopy sections together first and then glue them to the fuselage. Fit is not perfect on mine because I didn't do that here.

w6hDMT6.jpg

Primed with Mr. Surfacer 1200, which as I announced earlier will also used for the underside color:

lhpPlMg.jpg

87hsKOy.jpg

Just for kicks I finished the horizontal stabiliser, to get a good look at the colour-combo. I'm happy.

u5XcnWY.jpg

Now the real fun can begin. Dutch Starfighter were kept in good shape, but some were quite beaten and weathered:

pEVOOwA.png

TNgFjHS.png

Gelboliv upper surfaces are next...

Edited by Grunticus
  • Like 4

On 08/11/2018 at 22:28, Col. said:

I generally consider myself a 'satisfactory' modeller in that the hobby generally brings me a good deal of satisfaction. You, sir, have every right to be satisfied with your lovely work on this kit so far :thumbsup:

Thank you sir! I count myself as an average assembler, but that does certainly not diminish the joy it brings me. I learn every day. This beautiful Italeri kit brings a lot of satisfaction indeed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

TNgFjHS.png

A rare (IMHO) case of pre-shading being justified. I guess these jets lasted long enough for weathering to be significant. Looks like everything was kept touched up except the camo, which has faded - so one shouldn't darken down the panel lines, but lighten up the centres. A colleague at work was a mechanic on Dutch Starfighters in a previous life. Must have been one of his! (sorry Rients...)

• Like 1

The base scheme is on, time for some daylight. Not too shabby. I like the color combo and the way the Mr. Surfacer matches the underside color of the real one. The demarcation lines on the nose area do not mirror each other perfectly in terms of height at the nose-side, but I am going to leave it like that. A little overspray that needs slight a correction, and one or two touch-up areas. Next are the tanks, pitot tube and a few other small bits. First I will airbrush the anti-glare panel, and then it will get a coat of clear varnish. Happy so far.

fjp3lfC.jpg

wWEYLRd.jpg

C0ifrmY.jpg

YatFWXN.jpg

IXV4vdj.jpg

b3zbFsd.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/11/2018 at 7:06 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

A rare (IMHO) case of pre-shading being justified. I guess these jets lasted long enough for weathering to be significant. Looks like everything was kept touched up except the camo, which has faded - so one shouldn't darken down the panel lines, but lighten up the centres. A colleague at work was a mechanic on Dutch Starfighters in a previous life. Must have been one of his! (sorry Rients...)

These photos look like the Ypenburg storage. I don't remember operational Volkel 104s to ever be bleached and 'pre-shaded' like this. Do not copy for an operational a/c!

Rob

12 hours ago, Grunticus said:

The base scheme is on, time for some daylight. Not too shabby. I like the color combo and the way the Mr. Surfacer matches the underside color of the real one. The demarcation lines on the nose area do not mirror each other perfectly in terms of height at the nose-side, but I am going to leave it like that. A little overspray that needs slight a correction, and one or two touch-up areas. Next are the tanks, pitot tube and a few other small bits. First I will airbrush the anti-glare panel, and then it will get a coat of clear varnish. Happy so far.

YatFWXN.jpg

I hope I caught you in time: please note that the large serial number on the nose was at a slight angle to the camouflage demarcation. The serial number is aligned with the horizontal reference line, and the camouflage demarcation angles slightly from the inlet cone towards the radome. There are exceptions, like 5803 and 5810 at Ypenburg. But 5804 at the top of the page follows the official instructions. The painting instructions are shown in Cor van Gent's book, pages 235 and 240.

Rob

21 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

These photos look like the Ypenburg storage. I don't remember operational Volkel 104s to ever be bleached and 'pre-shaded' like this. Do not copy for an operational a/c!

Rob

Aha! I am vindicated, and withdraw my grudging acceptance of pre-shading! Makes sense - the only planes I have ever seen with anything like heavy pre-shading effects are after long term storage open to the elements.

Build coming on very nicely!

Edited by TallBlondJohn

10 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Aha! I am vindicated, and withdraw my grudging acceptance of pre-shading! Makes sense - the only planes I have ever seen with anything like heavy pre-shading effects are after long term storage open to the elements.

We'll fight united against the horrors of pre- and postshading 🙂 I was an aircraft spotter for 12 years and never saw any operational aircraft weather like that.

Rob

• Thanks 1

A small update. The small bits are painted and ready for attaching. Tanks are also finished, all touch-ups are done. 24h drying time now, and then a few coats of HG 77, which I discovered recently and can highly recommend as a gloss-coat / decal base. It's ver watery, and WANTS to spread and level itself. Very quick drying time too.

Both door actuators broke when separating them from the sprue.

WWGG4c0.jpg

Right. No big deal.

KvTWc17.jpg

bD7RshE.jpg

OV0JNfX.jpg

There, as good as new, and more sturdy.

Little bits:

EzR9vCJ.jpg

lrMwo9Y.jpg

Last one naked:

dhoh2SZ.jpg

Cheers guys!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

We'll fight united against the horrors of pre- and postshading 🙂 I was an aircraft spotter for 12 years and never saw any operational aircraft weather like that.

Rob

You never saw Danish F-100 or F-104's then !!!!!

Great model by the way.