F-16 to F-2

Tony Whittingham

Hello All,

I was wondering if there are any significant differences in dimensions between the F-16 and  the F2? I have a Hasegawa f-2b kit that I am using as a pattern to potentially convert a 1/32 Hasegawa F-16.  Are there any drawings for the F-2 on the net?

TW

Here are the seperate stats from wiki first is the F-16c.

wQjEsZY.png

Next up the F2a.

EWt8SoR.png

Overall Length is about 1’6” shorter on the F-16. Wingspan is 3’10 shorter on the F-16. The F-16 is actually taller overall by 7”. And Wing area is bigger by 7 square meters on the F2 compared to the F-16. What all that breaks down to in percentages is probably pretty close to the 25% graham quoted. Hope this helps you or anyone else. 

Dennis

4 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

I was wondering if there are any significant differences in dimensions between the F-16 and  the F2?

How talk Russian - "It is better to see once":

600px-F2andF16.png

Resource:

http://www.wikiwand.com/ru/Mitsubishi_F-2

Also on this topic have top views images F-2 & F-16

(models?):

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/mitsubishi-f2-fighter-displays-jdam-capability.320263/

4 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Are there any drawings for the F-2 on the net?

Yes, on the net have drawings  the F-2 in article "F-2 - heir Zero"

from "Aviation & Time" (next on text - "A&T") magazine:

avv200906.jpg

Resource:

http://www.rpk-models.ru/product_info.php?products_id=3325

Drawings from "A&T":

pic_99.jpg

pic_100.jpg

pic_101.jpg

loaded on this site:

http://www.razlib.ru/transport_i_aviacija/aviacija_i_vremja_2009_06/p9.php

But I don't  know nothing about quality and accuracy this drawing!

1 hour ago, Sonoran said:

There is almost nothing common between the two aircraft 

On a Paralay

was mini hollywar

about "New aircraft F-2 or modernization F-16":

http://paralay.iboards.ru/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1036&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=19bb5aa76f8e760f779e3a53c51a2149&start=30

Yes, consensus was "F-2 new aircraft"

But I would regard the F-2 as an aircraft based on an improved design project of the F-16 in which some of the flaws in the F-16 aerodynamics were corrected and new composite materials were applied.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Yes, consensus was "F-2 new aircraft"

No consensus required.  It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.  The F-2 has only a superficial resemblance to the F-16, and aside from stemming from the same basic design philosophy, shares virtually nothing in common with it.

1 hour ago, Sonoran said:

No consensus required.  It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.  The F-2 has only a superficial resemblance to the F-16, and aside from stemming from the same basic design philosophy, shares virtually nothing in common with it.

It depends on which side to look! 🤔

Because when, for example, some “experts” talk about the Sukhoi Su-9 (1946) always claim that it is a copy of Messerschmitt Me-262, although there is nothing in common with the engine nacelle, (or MiG-15 copy Ta-183,  or I-270 copy Me-263, or

Concord & Tupolev Tu-144 calling on West "Concordski", e.t.c, e.t.c yeppp...)

but when  write about the F-2 -  developed by Americans , based on the American F-16, with the same American engine as the F-16, with similar

section fuselage 

..... then  write that this is a new plane! 😁

Therefore, there is nothing surprising in. such a dispute about F-16 and F-2.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

I guess that you could do it if you are into serious scratch building but as has been said, there aren't many  similarities apart from the basic shape. Your best reference would be the Modelart Profile book on the F-2 that also includes plans

andy

It may well have no (or very few) common parts in the airframe, but the engine is the same and thus there appears (unsurprisingly) to be a very similarly shaped central/rear fuselage and intake.  I make no comment about the undercarriage or canopy, though I suspect many internal cockpit differences.  Is the ejector seat the same?  When it comes to using parts from an F-16 model to make those parts of an F-2, it may well be that such  superficial similarities are more important than true engineering differences.

As to the accuracy of the drawing, I strongly suspect that the F-2 wing is not the simple plank shown, with no twist and little camber.  I suspect that modelling this accurately, not just in planview, will be the most difficult part of any conversion, if the data is available..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It may well have no (or very few) common parts in the airframe, but the engine is the same and thus there appears (unsurprisingly) to be a very similarly shaped central/rear fuselage and intake.  I make no comment about the undercarriage or canopy, though I suspect many internal cockpit differences. 

What is the problem? 🤔

On the 72nd scale, the F-2 makes Hasegawa, the most good F-16 is made by Tamiya and with some reservations Revell.

Can someone make a comparison photo to unbuild the F-2 Hasegawa and the F-16 Tamiya or Revell?

I can not help with this issue.

Because I still do not have F-2 in the

collection.😲 I turned it in my hands for a long time and did not buy it! I then thought: "Why do I need a Japanese copy of the F-16?" 😁😁😁

Now, I think that all the same then it was necessary to buy F-2.😭

B.R.

Serge

When the YF-16 was turned over to the Air Force Configuration Control Committee it became longer, the size of its wings increased, got a couple of tons of electronics, more hard-points and was in many ways quite a different beast. From a pure day fighter it was turned into a very successful multi-role combat aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for the assistance. I will use the copy of the Hasegawa F-2B I have to make the changes required to the 1/32 F-16A to get to the F-2A. 

By the way, Wikipedia drawings are at variance with the F-2B kit, and I suggest avoiding their use as a dimensional reference.

TW

• Thanks 1

You're a brave man. Best of luck and please post some pictures when you've done it

As i said before, the Model Art Profile book is your best reference along with the internet of course

Andy