Building Dragon's 1/350 USS Gearing (1945)

warreni

A very nice start on this one Warren.

I have to agree about the Dragon instructions. They could really do with clarifying somewhat.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Ray

Oh well.. on with the build. I finished applying the decals to the decks..

20181130-134749.jpg

20181130-134812.jpg

Then I glued the deck into the hull, which makes sense to me rather than trying to do it woth everything assembled like Dragon suggests.

20181130-140329.jpg

20181130-140810.jpg

Then I went back to look at the instructions and I realised I hadn't finished step one yet as I still had more guns to build like these quad bofors..

20181130-145257.jpg

After that I glued down lots of deck parts on some masking tape with the intention of spraying them, but I changed my mind and attacked them with a hairy stick along with some superstructure sides..

20181130-163322.jpg

And that is the state of play at the moment. Away at the Adelaide Motorsport Festival tomorrow with one of my old crocks.

Until next time,
Warren

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Courageous said:

They look fiddly so I reckon you done it the right way; do a few, then do something else.

Still can't get used to those deck decals...

Stuart

I think that the real non-slip would have been worn off pretty quickly anyway, especially in high trafice ares. But they are there so I may as well use them.  :)

Cheers Stuar

Warren

• Like 1

Hello all.

Only a couple of photos but some major advances withe the model. First deck of the superstructure is on!  :)

20181205-153236.jpg

20181205-160526.jpg

The stand is not permanent as I glued it with Gator Glue which is easy to remove if you want.

I am off to the bench again in a few minutes.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 6

On 12/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, Courageous said:
On 12/6/2018 at 6:39 AM, warreni said:

I am off to the bench again in a few minutes.

I thought you said that you were 'off to the beach again' :rofl:

I had to do a double take there!

Bit soggy for the beach but just right for the bench!

Looking good Warren.

Geoff

Correct Stuart, 40 deg C here yesterday. That's acvtually a bit hot for the beach as you would birn your feet on the sand if you don't have thongs.  :)  

1st world problem...

• Like 1

Am rapidly approaching completion date and here are a few overview pictures.

20181216-092146.jpg

20181216-100647.jpg

20181216-133909.jpg

20181216-133916.jpg

20181216-133928.jpg

20181216-133937.jpg

And it is amazing how much stuff you collect over the years..

20181216-111344.jpg

:)

Cheers all
Warren

• Like 5

I realised today that I have been thinking WAY too deeply about these paint colours. The colours of ships vary so much after the leave the dockyard it is almost impossible to accurately reproduce colours. Then you have the trouble of having to use unfamiliar paints to replicate colours. I tried Lifecolor Haze Grey on my ships railings and it clogged up many of the tiny holes in the netting as you have to spray it from a larger orifice airbrush as it just clogs up my fine ones.

So throwing caution to the wind I whipped out my standby Haze Grey paint, Tamiya XF-19, thinned it as usual and had a fuss free, perfectly flat coat in just a matter of minutes. Rinsed out the paint brush and syringe I use for mixing the paint and the paint came off perfectly with Windex and Metho. Unlike the Lifecolor which says it is acrylic but Windex and Metho don't get it off..

I have no problems with Sovereign Hobbies enamels, they are just too hard to get here in Australia. They cover well and thin nicely, but you still need thinners or turps to clean up.

Ok that's my rant for the day. Note to self, stop being such a rivet counter and get on with the bit you like most, building!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am calling stumps on this one.

20181222-071449.jpg

20181222-071453.jpg

20181222-071458.jpg

20181222-071500.jpg

I can't really recommend this kit for anyone who dislikes fiddling with tiny bits as there are many of them in this kit.

Stay tuned for my next trick!

Warren

• Like 10

Therein lies the $64 million question! I went out to my repository and snagged the Dragon 1/32 Bf 110 kit that has been laying dormant for many years now. I had got as far as finishing the cockpit but then put it aside for some reason. with the cockpit seperate. And you guessed it I can't locate the cockpit at the moment therefore said model will remain dormant for a bit longer.

I have over 1200 kits to choose from from many different genres but it is just so damn hard to choose! I have been building ships for quite a few years now but feel I need a change.

More news as it comes to hand.   :)

Edited by warreni

19 minutes ago, warreni said:

I have over 1200 kits to choose from from many different genres but it is just so damn hard to choose! I have been building ships for quite a few years now but feel I need a change.

If I get spoilt for choice, I get SWMBO to choose one.

Stuart

On 12/22/2018 at 10:09 AM, warreni said:

More news as it comes to hand.   :)

1,200? not 120?

/falls off chair...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gav G said:

1,200? not 120?

/falls off chair...

You OK? Yes mate 1200. Happens when you have been buying kits for decades but building ones that take 6 - 12 months each.  :)

Edited by warreni
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Just caught up with this - Lovely job - those deck-walk decals do make a real impact, great finish all round.

The railings are particularly neat

Rob

Thanks Rob.  :)

4 hours ago, warreni said:

You OK? Yes mate 1200. Happens when you have been buying kits for decades but building ones that take 6 - 12 months each.  :)

Mild concussion but I'll be ok ;)

Nice going mate, very impressive. I don't think I can even visualise that many kits being stored in a regular house; especially not the cupboards we get conned into buying in the UK (but that's a rant for another day...).