Bf109E-3 "WEISSE 5" Obfw. Jakob Arnoldy, 4./JG77 Mandal 1940 (Tamiya 1/72)

Finally, as promised, here are the photos of the finished model. I'd say it was a pleasure to build this kit. Any set back I had was self inflicted and nothing to do with the kit quality.

The canopy is pretty decent out of of the box. I only added a set of harnesses and some scratch built details to the panel. All the parts fit together very well and little putty was used.

There were some mistakes regarding the painting scheme but I only noticed it because was checking my references (i.e. spinner colour).

Arnoldy_01.jpg

Arnoldy_02.jpg

Arnoldy_03.jpg

Arnoldy_04.jpg

Arnoldy_05.jpg

Arnoldy_06.jpg

Arnoldy_07.jpg

Arnoldy_08.jpg

Arnoldy_09.jpg

Arnoldy_10.jpg

Arnoldy_11.jpg

Arnoldy_12.jpg

Arnoldy_13.jpg

Arnoldy_14.jpg

To check on the whole work in progress, please follow this link:

Bf109E-3 by ArmouredSprue

That's it! Thanks for following this building.

Cheers

Paulo

• Like 39

Thanks all for your kind words. It was really a pleasure to build this kit.

Besides that, I was lucky enough to have people all around the cyber-space to lend me some help or advise.

Thanks again!

Cheers

• Like 1

Your Emil is a beauty! I dare saying one of the best “air superiority” phase 109 E I’ve seen in that scale. The weathering is perfect to my eye, and the whole model looks fantastic and very realistic.

the only thing that looks strange is the UC angle viewed from head on. To me they look a bit straight, perhaps a few mm too straight. Could be a photo illusion or my tired eyes 😉

Edited by Holzhamer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

Your Emil is a beauty! I dare saying one of the best “air superiority” phase 109 E I’ve seen in that scale. The weathering is perfect to my eye, and the whole model looks fantastic and very realistic.

the only thing that looks strange is the UC angle viewed from head on. To me they look a bit straight, perhaps a few mm too straight. Could be a photo illusion or my tired eyes 😉

Hi mate

The landing is correct. Must be an illusion caused by the photography. This Tamiya kit is very engineered and the parts fit together very tight.

Muito obrigado por seu. Comentário 

Saudações

Paulo

• Like 1

Beautiful Emil, in almost pristine condition!

To my eyes though, this common routine dark filling of the rear fuselage 'panel joints' (which are not 'grooves' IRL but overlaps) looks all wrong and breaks up the impression of the model. Those joints were hardly visible even on the full scale machines. Just compare with this photo of an '09 that has apparently seen some service:

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4B-2.ErgGr54-Black-

Can you see any trace of rear fuselage panel joints?

Otherwise, a perfect model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Excellent work Paulo colour's look perfect and weathering seem's just right for the scale I'm just finishing Galland's machine in a similar scheme

using it's bigger brother in 1/48  and too highlighted the fuselage panel's it's something we all seem to do!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 4:38 PM, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful Emil, in almost pristine condition!

To my eyes though, this common routine dark filling of the rear fuselage 'panel joints' (which are not 'grooves' IRL but overlaps) looks all wrong and breaks up the impression of the model. Those joints were hardly visible even on the full scale machines. Just compare with this photo of an '09 that has apparently seen some service:

Can you see any trace of rear fuselage panel joints?

Otherwise, a perfect model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim

Thanks for taking the time to leave me feedback. It's much appreciated.

In regards tom panel lines I need to disagree with you.

Please observe the photo below for the aircraft I'm representing 

imageproxy.jpg

Please note that despite this photo being over exposed, you can still note the fuselage panel lines (arrows) well defined, especially close to the Kennung 5 and the balkenkreuz.

Even observing the photo  you've posted (which is not very sharp) you can also see the panels defined in this case close to the tail and nose (see the arrows).

Luftwaffe is fascinating, isn't it?

Cheers mate

Paulo

Edited by ArmouredSprue
editing photos to illustrate

Fabulous build!

The "Emil" is very much a favourite of mine.

I have a few 1/72 Bf-109 kits in the stash (Airfix and ICM) but the bar keeps getting raised higher and higher!

:clap:

• Like 1

That's a fantastic looking Emil which could easily pass as 1/48th to my eye.  I always think these regulation markings at this stage of the War are very attractive. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 9:11 PM, Meatbox8 said:

That's a fantastic looking Emil which could easily pass as 1/48th to my eye.  I always think these regulation markings at this stage of the War are very attractive. 

Thanks mate