The Outriders, 333 Sqn (Nor) Coastal Command Mosquito FB VI (Tamiya 1/48)

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since the last update. Work was hectic during the end of November and all of December and not much energy was left to do modelling in the evenings.

That's life I guess...

Some progress has happened lately though! I took out the Yahu instrument panel and laid it over the decals, just to compare.

48415099_10210099482082265_2759421783651
This little etched panel is a gem! Much much more clearly refined than any Eduard prepainted etc I've ever used, in fact the printing is up there with Airscale instrument decals in it's granularity, but it's also a 3D apnel with some texture to it.

Tamiya still have a point with their decals though, a point that was to show itself later.
I threw all caution to the side, and instead crashed onwards, and started to put the entire fuselage together.

Jag har också kastat all försiktighet överbord, och gjort detta:
44686826010_abe69b12ff_o.jpg
Simplest way to do it was to glue one segment at a time, clamping and taping to secure everything going forward, or atleast that's the plan!
But after the first join was done, I discovered that the Instrument panel had come loose, and I needed to break everything open again. Oh well.

Next try went a lot better, and everything was properly secured and hardened.
It was then I discovered the control column in the box...
:oops:
Well, I managed to trick it into place using some christmas candy and my trusty tweezers.
32630807848_68b6b81e27_o.jpg
A nice and colorful radio,. Then I discovered this thread that @Dansk is doing:

It seems that one should actually LOOK at the Aviaeology istructins and READ the text, not just looking at the fancy decals...

If I'd done that, maybe I should've done a different set of radios...

Dang!

Oh well, I'll take some comfort in the Yahu Panel instead.

But where is it?
44686825820_8df019da2f_o.jpg
It's almost impossible to see?

Tamiya decals might have done the trick anyway...
With the hood in place the visibility will not be improved
46503697641_ff2fa98dc5_o.jpg
I'm planning on leaving the rear part of the bomb bay open, just as an excuse to show a pair of bombs.

Right, lets get cracking, since I have a few more days of!

Unless I get distracted by that christmas gift I recieved from a modelling friend in the northern parts of Sweden.

44666369140_f276ce64ca_o.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Propforward!

I Finally have something to report on this little topic, and I guess it says something about my abilities as a modeller with this picture

33021190148_bf401c1397_o.jpg

Yes, that's a lot of putty, but there was an ugly seam there, honest! I also learned from @Dansk that the opening for a window is only used on the recon Mossies and not this one. 

I duly glued the window in, and then puttyed over everything.

Moving on to the wings, I noticed that I need to paint the internals, due to the two landings lights. Well, I didn't bother with painting, and just used some of Uschi:s Chrome powder instead, That worked like a charm!

46844464572_dd71ebb904_o.jpg

46844464262_48f42e6a90_o.jpg

Sometimes when doing pre-assemblies, I tend to trip myself up, leaving to some difficulties down the road. No change in this build! I read somewhere on this site that the lock-piece for the lower wing is not supposed to be a loose panel, so naturally I attached that to the lower wing first! Well, it got filled and sanded smooth in no time at all, so that was fine.

It was a bit later when I understood WHY Tamiya wants me to install it after the wing has been mated to the fuselage.

46844464682_02b2ba69bd_o.jpg

It's a lock for crying out loud!

Fortunately, the wings haven't had their upper and lower halves joined together yet, so It is perfectly possible to get the bottom ones in place first, and then glue the top wing!

A bit awkard....but it works!

46844464482_7ba7be5931_o.jpg

The top of the wheel well will be weathered before the engine nacelles are installed.

Al l of a sudden, it starts to look like a real Mossie!

Then I took it out for a testflight, trying my best to imitate two Merlins

50642014_10210274987429789_5760161372889

Did I do it right @Procopius?

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I was going to mask the cockpit any day now, but as it turned out I had only Eduard masks  for a B. Mk IV and that won't fit at all...so I went back to my Typhoon for a while.

While waiting for a new set to arrive from Hannants I decided it was time to do some test painting on a little side project (I have a lot of those...)

Mission Models was used for the interior grey/green and I found that worked quite ok, even though it didn't realy like to be sprayed in cold weather.

This time I was going to test Sky, but indoors instead.

I first made a nice even coat straight onto grey Ultimate Primer:
33465222898_701216b3eb_o.jpg

Properly thinned and mixed, this paint worked as good as they say, easily on par with Gunze or MrPaint, but absolutely without any odour.

Great! That will save my bacon!

I also leapt at the chance to test the adhesion by taping the rear stabilizer mere minutes after I had finished the painting. I just cleaned out the airbrush and had a quick photo before heading back to make a slightly darker mix for the fabric covered elevators.

The tape was removed afterwards and not a single speck of paint had lifted from underneath it. Nice!

But just darker elevators is kind of boring so I also made a lightened mix for the rest of the underside, and started to play around with that.

46426254225_71b8e0c1df_o.jpg

Postshading is probably my main method from now on, since it's so easy to play with!

This will be the primary paint and method for the Mossie, for sure!

Conclusion: these paints are excellent for one who needs to work with acrylic paint, and they spray beautifully over a good primer.

Too bad that they don't do EDSG, or the rest of the needed FAA colors 😞

• Like 6

Thanks!

These paints are growing on me, that's for sure.

https://www.missionmodelsus.com/pages/store-locator

Looking at their map, it seems that there are two shops in Aussie-land that stocks them.

Probably cheaper for you to order from there, than to order from Modellbau König in Germany where I order mine 😎

• Like 2

Hello Christer,

Sorry, I missed your Mossie !! Great job once again,

I'll try these Mission models stuff !! It look great !

One of my mossie will be a Tse Tse one, playing in the same game...

I'll join in if you Don't mind it !

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC!

You're always welcome!

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Ohhh, a Mossie with a Tse-Tse! That'll be fun.

Actually, the rather obscure Saab B18 had a specific anti-shipping version called T18b, also equipped with a 57mm gun. I've wanted to build one for a long time, but sadly, there are no modern kits of SaaB B18 at all, but one could always hope that Tarangus will produce one, in any scale...

9 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Actually, the rather obscure Saab B18 had a specific anti-shipping version called T18b, also equipped with a 57mm gun. I've wanted to build one for a long time, but sadly, there are no modern kits of SaaB B18 at all, but one could always hope that Tarangus will produce one, in any scale...

Huh! I'd never heard of this one until today. What an interesting looking aircraft; slightly redolent of the Dornier 17 in appearance if you ask me.

• Like 1

The SAAB B18 is an oddity, no doubt!

With German engines, it sure looks a bit more teutonic but it also used the reverse-engineered Twin Wasp.

Swedish and German aviation industry for sure had lots of personal contacts during 20:s and 30:s, so any likeness to a Dorner 17 is not so strange.

(and Dornier 215 was ordered but not delivered to Swedish Air force due to embargo, and was used by Luftwaffe as Do 215B-1 and B-2 instead)

Edited by Christer A

41 minutes ago, Christer A said:

The SAAB B18 is an oddity, no doubt!

With German engines, it sure looks a bit more teutonic but it also used the reverse-engineered Twin Wasp.

Swedish and German aviation industry for sure had lots of personal contacts during 20:s and 30:s, so any likeness to a Dorner 17 is not so strange.

(and Dornier 215 was ordered but not delivered to Swedish Air force due to embargo, and was used by Luftwaffe as Do 215B-1 and B-2 instead)

I also saw it described as having "clear American influences" by Wikipedia, due to the presence of Americans on the design team, but frankly, I don't see it. It sounds like it was a pretty capable aircraft, almost in the Mosquito's class.

• 1 month later...

Since no SAAB B18 has been announced, lets get back to the FB VI instead even though I bought a set of decals for a B IV due to my masking mistake... 

I replaced the glass piece of Tamiyas gun sight with a piece of clear acetate for a better scale appearance. 
32745933557_3d03339af0_o.jpg

Once that was properly secured it was time to get the masked canopy in place. Here things went a little south since I tried to use white glue. That was a bit too thick and the canopy fit was far from the best. Instead i took a more direct approach and removed the whole thing, and then use normal Tamiya extra thin and a few clamps instead. I guess some resin pieces have made the front of the cockpit a bit too wide or something. Will keep that in mind for any upcoming B IV!
32745933607_beea78cc5d_o.jpg

Now then;  the nacelles are in place, all cavitties filled with foam, tape and masking fluid, is it perhaps time for primer?

32745933437_23030ec003_o.jpg
Yes it was!
58443092_10210746404454920_5955592057123
But the seam on the underside of the rear fuselage is still visible:
46773073565_01d5b9407a_o.jpg
And it dosen't look that pretty up front either:
32745933347_4b0577e053_o.jpg

Ok, whip out the filler and start the Fill-, Sand-, Scribe-, Prime-process then!

Edited by Christer A
wrong imagelink
  • Like 4

Looking good to me too.

I can't see any seams except the one behind the gun port panel. It's possible that there might have been a faint trace of longitudinal seams on the fuselage anyway as it was built in two halves and joined together, just like the kit

John