Airfix Classic Grumman Widgeon / Gosling Seaplane

This is another kit built for the recent Classic Airfix Group Build.

This kit dates from 1959, and although this was a much more recent boxing of it, it's a bit of a shocker to be honest. Every part will fight you as you try to build it. My top tip is to remove the locating pins or file them down much thinner as they seem to all be out of position.

Dear Airfix of you are reading this please update this kit, it's not doing you any favours.

Build / Battle in progress below

This is how it turned out, not as good as I would have liked, but let me know what you think.

cheers Pat

IMG_4040

IMG_4041

IMG_4042

IMG_4043

IMG_4045

• Like 18

That's a real blast from the past! Built one as a kid and even back then I New it was a shocker, ended up as an air rifle target if I remember correctly, if it had turned out all well as yours it would still be in the display cabinet, well done.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 11:42 PM, Buzby061 said:

Just had a look at the WIP. You certainly had your work cut out wrestling that into submission. 

Hats off!

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks very much, I thought given the small number of bits it would be a nice easy quick build.... don't be fooled !

cheers Pat

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks very much, I thought given the small number of bits it would be a nice easy quick build.... don't be fooled !

Hi Pat,

this kit was always one I kept staring at, when as a kid I was spending hours dreaming in front of an Airfix catalog. Never came across it... Maybe a shame...

These old Airfix kits are deceptive: as you rightfully say, the small number f bits and pieces does not make them easy!

I will be ploughing through the myriad of mods on my Airfix Sea Hawk for a long time to come.

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano... like they say where I almost come from.

Great build by the way!!!

JR

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 7:25 AM, Farmerboy said:

That's a real blast from the past! Built one as a kid and even back then I New it was a shocker, ended up as an air rifle target if I remember correctly, if it had turned out all well as yours it would still be in the display cabinet, well done.

Thanks very much Farmerboy

I can completely understand why you lost the plot with it.

Perhaps you should have another go now ;)

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

I've never built or owned the kit, but I've no doubt its pedigree makes it a difficult one to build.

You've done a very tidy job of it, I reckon.

Makes me want to have a go at my Sword Grumman Goose kit.

Well done!

:clap:

Lovely job Jockney! Did you ever get to a point where using the kit as a reference and whittling the final model from a chunk of firewood looked like a simpler approach? Even my nostalgia and willingness to put the work in gets challenged when a "mainstream" kit is worse than the crude end of limited-run kits!

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, jean said:

Hi Pat,

this kit was always one I kept staring at, when as a kid I was spending hours dreaming in front of an Airfix catalog. Never came across it... Maybe a shame...

These old Airfix kits are deceptive: as you rightfully say, the small number f bits and pieces does not make them easy!

I will be ploughing through the myriad of mods on my Airfix Sea Hawk for a long time to come.

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano... like they say where I almost come from.

Great build by the way!!!

JR

Thanks very much Jean

Good luck with the Seahawk, you have reminded me of also spending hours looking at kit catalogues as a nipper something I had completely forgotten about until you mentioned it !

There is something very addictive about building these old kits from the past..... be warned !

cheers Pat

• Like 1