3rd Time Lucky - Back with a Vengeance ! FINISHED

JOCKNEY

Well after 2 previous failed attempts at starting this GB...

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the Donetsk Toys Factory Vultee Vengeance, aka the Frog one made in the USSR !

I have checked beforehand with Rich and this one is a goer, pictures below.

IMG_4110

Yes I know what you're thinking who needs a Tamiya kit when you can have quality like this !

IMG_4111

Still sealed in the bag

IMG_4112

Looks complete

IMG_4112

But isn't as the decals aren't in the kit, which isn't surprising as they didn't work anyway.

Fortunately a kind fellow member of BM has come to my rescue and let me have a spare set. The box also doesn't have a painting guide like the old Frog / Novo ones used to have so I will be building the Aussie aircraft below

IMG_4115

cheers Pat

• Like 11

Hi Pat,

Nice Choice :thumbsup:

I was eyeing a Frog kit on our local auction

site (Trade Me) but with only two months to go, I'll leave it

for another time.

Looking forward to seeing your Build in RAAF colours

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Good choice, Pat - and a Frog kit as well! This is one of those that took my interest as I think this was one of the 'unusual' aircraft that only Frog produced in the early days? This aircraft certainly looks like it was made for diving! I'll enjoy watching your build. Mike

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 2:12 AM, LDSModeller said:

Hi Pat,

Nice Choice :thumbsup:

I was eyeing a Frog kit on our local auction

site (Trade Me) but with only two months to go, I'll leave it

for another time.

Looking forward to seeing your Build in RAAF colours

Regards

Alan

Only 2 months to go, blooming Nora Alan what did you have in mind for the poor thing ?

Lots of photoetch, scratch building etc....?

Im really sorry but this will be built out of the box, old school, I hope you will stay with me for the battle, whoops, delightful build ahead !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Just received an original 1970 boxed Vengeance in the post this week, but I might save this one for the Frog Squad GB next June. Inspecting the parts, it would appear that the kits canopy is a little short and way too thick, however I do have a Falcon Vac canopy that I honestly hate using. I'll look over your shoulder on this one Pat, just to see how you fair with it. It's certainly a chunky overall aircraft and looks really purposeful on its legs sitting in its natural state. I don't believe they were very effective in the air however and (like the Fairey Battle) is another reason why the Vengeance is even more appealing. 

Cheers and good luck with your build.. Dave 

• Like 3

Gosh this is like Deja vu......I'm sure I've done this before.... :blink:

are welcome aboard Pat....again, and 3rd time lucky.

She's a golden oldie but a very nice choice, not an aircraft you'd normally see in a GB so it's really nice to see one here. Great scheme choice as well, trying to get/stay in my good list? :D

Good luck with her, I think there'll be some interest in the build and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Hello Pat !

Once again, great choice of a subject, I also have a Vengeance but at the 1/48

Plus corrected fuselages and some other stuff to improve (correct) the kit...

You're a brave man to start it in a GB !!:mike:

So I'll follow the build if you don't mind it !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

I really wouldn't put "Brave man" in any thread regarding Pat!! :D

Silly and annoying sometimes would be more accurate.  :rofl2:

But he always shows up or tries to with interesting subjects.....though his completion rate is about as good as mine!  :whistle:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Silly and annoying sometimes would be more accurate.  :rofl2:

Oi! You leave Pat alone.  ;) :D After his beaut Hampden, I've every faith in him to carry this one through. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
Bloody spelling.!
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Only 2 months to go, blooming Nora Alan what did you have in mind for the poor thing ?

Lots of photoetch, scratch building etc....?

Im really sorry but this will be built out of the box, old school, I hope you will stay with me for the battle, whoops, delightful build ahead !

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I have this hulking thing to try and get across the line :hmmm:

Alan's RNZAF TBF-1C build

So the Vengeance wouldn't get a start, even if built OOB.

I've got the Popcorn ready :popcorn: so looking forward to your build progress

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Pat might just get this one to the 24% completion stage, then save the rest of the 76% for the 2019 Frog Squad GB! Actually, he done good with both Hampden and Gosling over on the Airfix GB, which is double what I managed. I’ll back him in. 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 3

I'm trying to detail the interior to make it authentic, so a couple of questions 

1. How many corks on strings should I fit to the brim of the crews hats, &

2. What colour would the empty tinnies be strewn on the cockpit floor ?

While I'm waiting for the answers, you may be interested in this (please stand to attention while watching)

cheers Pat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

so a couple of questions

1. Should your subject aircraft be based in the NG zone, you’d be more after the Mossie Net slouch hat rather than the fly swatting cork variety. Having said all that, Riches 42 estimate seems about right! 

2. There’s a photo somewhere of an Aussie P-40 that ferried beer bottles inside it’s ammunition bays, so save your shiny beer tinnies for something post war and try to model a crate of warm brown ‘tallies’ instead. 

Cheers.. (now it’s sounding like beer o’clock down here!) Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi Pat,

I am impressed that you unearthed a truly proletarian plastic model, you true son of Stakanov!

Can't wait to see how you deal with this kolkozian wonder!

I have the true and only Vengeance made in the UK in my stash, and the decals are still in rather good condition. but as I am medically challenged and as a result totally unable to build anything OOB (at least I would finish some kit!), I will keep looking at it from a respectful distance. Have a lot of fun

JR

• Haha 5

Hi Gents, & Rich ;)

About time i posted an update on things 

IMG_4117

Due to this build being in the tropics, not a word available in Gaelic, as it has something to do with sunshine.. I have also been experimenting with colours for the flying suit on the crew. Finally decided to go with "hemp" now before everyone tells me it should be something completely blooming different, it looks better then the 3 previous colours I had a go with !

IMG_4118

There is no instrument panel with the kit, so I have decided to make my own. First find some scrap plastic

IMG_4120

I cut some plastic out of this and painted it black, it's next to the top of the prop in the second picture. Then we need some instruments, so more recycling I will copy them from my recent Hampden instructions 

IMG_4119

Finally for anyone I haven't put off buying / building this kit there is an error in the instructions 

IMG_4121

Part #19 should be the other way round as the 2 protruding parts hold the engine away from the front of the cowling, and to answer the question yes I did find out the hard way !  :banghead:

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

well done Pat, for a minute I though you may have changed your mind again, then I saw the Blueberry punnet and thought you may have been writing for your exotic food blog. But no all was good just an update.

A clever bit of scratch building for the IP, it'll look the part and that's the main thing.

I think you were spot on with the collar for the flying suits, RAAF tropic gear after it's had the life washed out of it would be getting close to this colour.

Just don't forget the "stubby" holder on the LHS of the cockpit and the esky in the back! :D 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

well done Pat, for a minute I though you may have changed your mind again, then I saw the Blueberry punnet and thought you may have been writing for your exotic food blog. But no all was good just an update.

A clever bit of scratch building for the IP, it'll look the part and that's the main thing.

I think you were spot on with the collar for the flying suits, RAAF tropic gear after it's had the life washed out of it would be getting close to this colour.

Just don't forget the "stubby" holder on the LHS of the cockpit and the esky in the back! :D 

Careful, this is beginning to look like encouragement and praise from you....

Wait a minute....  :idea:

Can the internet hacker give Rich back his access please, you're not fooling anyone ! 

cheers Pat

• Haha 4

Last update tonight

IMG_4123

I don't want to tempt fate but the 2 sides of the fuselage even meet without too much trouble....

Yes I know something dreadful is going to happen now, but it all seems great so far !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Do you remember those fateful words about everything being ok, well......

The wings at fuselage fit was a shocker. I was too annoyed to take a picture so just attacked the fuselage with a knife and scraped out plastic until they fitted. Bit of filler, job done.

Next challenge, fitting the undercarriage. There are no location sockets in the wings for the suspension legs to fit into. My solution file a flat face on the suspension leg to give good adhesion to inside front edge of the wing. 

Finally the canopy fit a shocker, lots of filing to both canopy and the fuselage gets it to fit eventually.

Pictures to follow

• Like 2

Watching the build with interest. Always liked the A-31/A-35.

On 01/11/2018 at 23:34, Rabbit Leader said:

.......I don't believe they were very effective in the air however .......

Cheers and good luck with your build.. Dave 

The Vengeance was actually very effective in combat, achieving a very high strike rate against targets. It did suffer from engine troubles as a result of being shipped as deck cargo and the engine wasn't protected correctly at the factory. This resulted in cylinder corrosion and engine failures. The seal in the electric fuel pump was also prone to failure and many crews came back from a mission with the gunner operating the hand pump. There's a very interesting book about the Vengeance by Peter C. Smith - a worth while read if you are interested in the type and lots of photos.

I built an eight feet span 1/6 scale R/C version back in 2000. Really liked the look of the unusual wing plan form.

a35_033.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Pat,

the punnet of blueberries and the oat bar were a shocker! Utter capitalism desecrating the whole rustic experience! A bottle of vodka and a potato, at worst a cabbage leaf, would have been perfect!

Yes, I know that cutting a new IP out of a potato skin is a challenge, but you could have done that while shouting patriotic slogans... Just an idea.

It would appear that the 0.5 machine gun looks more like an anti-tank gun. The recoil would have accelerated the poor Vengeance close to the sound barrier... Interesting.

I have actually no idea whether the Frog kit has any location holes for the undercarriage. But they normally do. Another example of Soviet streamlining!

Out of a silly and yet unexplained notion, I have purchased a set of Moskit exhausts for the Frog Vengeance... OOB is now definitely out of the question!

Keep having a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3